Division 1 2018 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So stretch them so kids play a more suitable standard of footy - or people don't complain about drop out rates. Just ridiculous to pretend that a colts side has any correlation with a senior club teams ability in all situations.
TBH all you need is a TM, 1st aid and some willing water carriers. Pay the trainer (most important person at a footy ground tbh) a couple of hundred bucks (most clubs seem capable of paying an overrated hack these sort of $$ to play down there... ), the TM is a parent, the water carriers are players who miss out / little brothers etc.
Make it happen bc its a terrible look for a comp that likes to say it is the premier suburban comp in Melb to have colts teams forfeiting...
And it wouldn't be every week anyway that's resources are stretched - I'd guarantee there are 4-5 div 1 clubs that would all have their colts in the same division so the fixturing caters for these clashes as a starting point.
How does the EFL logistically do it though? You can't grade under 19's based on previous years results because 19's teams are constantly changing ability with an influx of 17's kids. It's impossible to do a grading after 4/5 rounds into the season based on availability of grounds.

Local paper has said it is the first time in 35 years that Balwyn has missed the finals. How on earth can Eade remain as coach after achieving the worst result at Balwyn since 1983.

How does the EFL logistically do it though? You can't grade under 19's based on previous years results because 19's teams are constantly changing ability with an influx of 17's kids. It's impossible to do a grading after 4/5 rounds into the season based on availability of grounds.

Why not,we grade our U17's and we do not have U16's.Not the ideal situation to grade our U19's but better then seeing what is happening with our D1 U19 this year.And lets look at D2 U19's and good to see all clubs fielding sides but the top 3 are far better then the remaining 7 and that 7 are pretty competitive against each other.

Grade them in the relative strength of their 17s then? Or put them all in and separate div 1 div2 mid year? I’m not sure but when u have the luxury of being able to grade sides in under age footy, do so, so that comps are relatively even and kids feel like they get a competitive game most weeks. It’s when this competition is taken away that they vote with feet and don’t play at all.

Local paper has said it is the first time in 35 years that Balwyn has missed the finals. How on earth can Eade remain as coach after achieving the worst result at Balwyn since 1983.

If the senior players have anything to do with it he won’t be there

I dont think we currently grade our u/17s do we ?

Clubs decide or elect what grade they want their team (or teams) to play in was my understanding

Would be crazy to have the 19s play 4 or 5 games then grade and fixture them to line up with the new division structure so that they can play before the ressies where possible

I dont think we currently grade our u/17s do we ?

Clubs decide or elect what grade they want their team (or teams) to play in was my understanding

Would be crazy to have the 19s play 4 or 5 games then grade and fixture them to line up with the new division structure so that they can play before the ressies where possible

U17 to U11 are graded before R1 and re graded after about R4/5.You are correct in saying that clubs decide or elect what grade they want their team to play in.D1 U19's this season have all ready had games played at a different venue to their seniors/ressies after clubs pulled their 19's out of D1 and the fixture was changed so sides were playing games each week.

In D2 this season we have Park Orchards,Lilydale and Croydon who clearly are far better then the other 7 sides in the grade and perhaps would have been better off playing against Blackburn,Norwood,Vermont,Rowville and Noble Park.

Another issue we face is TAC clubs recommending that any prospective players play at a top D1 U19 club to enhance their chances of selection at the Ranges or Chargers.If the U19's are graded you would still be playing a fair percentage of your games as a curtain to your 1's and 2's but most likely would have a different opponent to them most games.

Its important we retain as many boys as possible playing U19's and involved in playing the game
and I am afraid this is the only way I can see around it.

Thanks Graham didnt realize they were graded after 4 or 5 games at u17s

TAC telling kids to play at a top D1 club makes no sense when half the D1 clubs cant field sides

Similar to the VFL sides telling their listed players they have to play D1 footy at club x or club y

Dumb when they get whacked every week playing in a lower D1 side rather than coming back to their local club and playing competitive footy in another division (happened this year with 2 lilydale kids)

If it was possible to have a div 1 and 2 colts division though that had no relevance to senior divisions it would work. That’s the only way to do it.
If clubs carry on about help needed then look at their playing budget and remove $5k from it for a trainer. The rest is easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its now back on. Might see Rocket in the 2s forward pocket.

Only reading what Noble Park are tweeting G.
I went directly to the Balwyn website to check this Bob.
All I could determine is that they dropped their bundle Round 14, when they stated they had to win all their games from Round 14 to make the finals.
Nothing new has been posted since then.
It's as if the season ended for them after round 14.

They have 20+ injuries on the list.
Last week they forfeited the 19s in order to use what must be about 10 plus players in the twos.
We can relate to the reserves struggles despite having made the finals. Some weeks have been a real battle.

I am tipping there will be some tired 19s this week at Balwyn.

I believe Rocket has been reappointed for 2019. Going to be an interesting one to watch over the summer. What direction will they head?

Not a bad sffort to get up although Nobles 2s have been struggling of late.

Richie any chance you guys can stop requesting Montrose in the final round?
Two years in a row that you have jumped us on percentage in the final round. ;) Not that it matters this year.

Not a bad sffort to get up although Nobles 2s have been struggling of late.

Richie any chance you guys can stop requesting Montrose in the final round?
Two years in a row that you have jumped us on percentage in the final round. ;) Not that it matters this year.
Ha ha. Let’s hope it continues the same way as last year!!

Heard this morning a certain club is getting the cricket club of the same name to pay for 2 star players this season . Haven’t heard that way of cheating the salary cap .
Any other unusual ways that anyone has heard of ??

Well done Richie far too good & obviously should have won by more.
The big fella is a freak & comes across as a great guy, even having a friendly chat to me as he was lining up for the final quarter.

We had our worse day of the year today of all days. Too many guys had dirty days, but I will say they did fight it out to their credit & could have pinched even if it would have been unjustified.

Biting my tongue on one particular incident with scores level a few minutes left. Just bizarre, & seriously needs to be looked at. Not holding my breath.

Hope not to see a few officiators for the sake of the remaining final series. If that's the best we can present on a premier day, in a competition that wishes to call itself the best in Melbourne then heaven help the rest of the final series.

Well done Doggies & I hope to see you again later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back