Division 1 2018 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute can of worms and I wouldn't want to even start looking at limiting junior movement. Imagine the up roar if the EFL denies a kid moving from a C grade junior team to an A grade team! What about the parent saying I want my kid to play rangers and chargers and they said he has to play in a premier team! Current rule of 40 games still is 3 junior years (14 games per season) 100 games just too high 7 seasons. Its sad but the recruiting of juniors does occur not just the better kids but to keep some sides afloat.

My boy played at a 3134 postcode club for 4 seasons then his team folded the better kids went to a A grade team and he and a few mates went to a 3136 postcode C grade team where is now in his 3rd year so buy the end of this season and junior career he will be a 1pt at two clubs.

I don't know the answer but 1pt players will be so valuable in the next few years and the clubs who make these players remain at their clubs will be rewarded. The point system is really about retention of players

Tend to agree Fatboy,boys that have the potential or ambitions to play Ranges,Charges or even higher must look at playing in the A grade from say U15 age and above for what ever team that is.Currently the rule 40 games and I did say 90 but agree far to high but perhaps 60 would make more sense but a real difficult one.

Well if rangers and chargers are insisting kids play A grade colts then that makes it really hard. Piss poor attitude by the TAC sides mind you, don't see the big picture, and if the can't work out whether a kid is any good from a preseason of training then they don't deserve the bucks that go with the job.

unfortunTely there are always people who believe their particular role in the code is far more important than others. The support of community footy clubs should always be at the forefront of every decision made, without them then kids have nowhere to get drafted from anyway.

Kids are leaving after 17s (Lilydale had 3 sides last year and 1 this year) and clubs in most divisions are struggling to fill 19s (Except FTG who have 2 sides)

Maybe Ranges needs to start their own league for every tall kid at age 14 :p

Crusey, Vermont also have a 2nd U19 side the GW Eagles.That is an interesting point when you said Lilydale had 3 U17 sides,how many of these boys just gave it away when their U17 days were over.

Not sure what percentage of the 3 17s sides were top age last year, guessing 20 or so of them

We have just enough to put a 19s side on the park each week, last week we needed a couple of 17s to run a bench

Both our seniors and ressies are full of lads that played juniors at the club which is great

I heard on radio that some of the other divisions had trouble with 19s on the weekend one game playing 14 a side as opposing team didnt have numbers

We have a couple of 17s playing at Ranges and a handful of 19s also there, assume this is similar at most clubs

Kids are leaving after 17s (Lilydale had 3 sides last year and 1 this year) and clubs in most divisions are struggling to fill 19s (Except FTG who have 2 sides)

Maybe Ranges needs to start their own league for every tall kid at age 14 :p

Sounds like the Rangers need to stop directing where kids play junior footy and just concentrate on developing them when they arrive at their set up. If a kid is decent at 16/17 eg TAC bound and not playing in a Div 1 Colts group then it should matter not. If you are being directed at the age of 14 to change clubs then thats madness..
All the Rangers/Chargers are trying to do is develop a competition below there own that makes it easier to recruit from - no thought whatsoever for what damage that causes the local clubs.

AFL Victoria conduct metro rep.games for our U14 and U15 boys and now girls of which the EFL field sides and gives the opportunity for TAC talent scouts to look at our potential players of the future.Perhaps a re think on the age group,say U15 and U17 should be considered.

How do the rep sides get picked at that age ?

Rangers seem to select a mixed bag of talent from what I have seen in the last few years

I think all footy leagues have problems with retention after age 17, too many other distractions

Word I've heard is that the competition re-structure will come in effect at the end of the 2018 season so ready for 2019, can anyone confirm this?

Balwyn's 3rds Forfeit
Balwyns 2nds kick only 1 goal
Balwyns 1sts lose but probably should've won in the end

they must have a load of injuries?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balwyn have struggled to get a 2's side out on the ground all year and even forfeited 19's games to get the numbers out on the park for the 2's.BUT Nunawading no 19's,.no wins 1's or 2's for the last 2 years until the great win in the 2's 2 weeks ago have excess numbers for both senior sides.Nunawading players have to pay to play for their club,not sure whether the same is happening at Balwyn,lol.

Not just a Balwyn issue, numerous clubs struggling numbers in the Reserves at various levels.
From a Division 1 perspective lower grade clubs targeting Reserves players with the potential of senior footy & some $$ really hurts.

Not just a Balwyn issue, numerous clubs struggling numbers in the Reserves at various levels.
From a Division 1 perspective lower grade clubs targeting Reserves players with the potential of senior footy & some $$ really hurts.

Bound to occur at some point. Couldn't believe they have been as strong as they have with no colts at all!
Must admit the footy landscape in Melb seems to have really changed over 20 years, not necessarily sure for the better. It seems that players are so much more concerned about $$ than once were. Maybe to pay for million $ homes now..

From a Division 1 perspective lower grade clubs targeting Reserves players with the potential of senior footy & some $$ really hu

Bob agree,far to many sides struggling to get a side out on the park in the 2's at the moment because of injuries.Personally think perhaps to much congested football might be a problem and perhaps something has be done with all this flooding in teams forward lines in local footy.

Not sure how anyone can say it's not for the better. For the first time in what seems like forever perma Div 1 clubs can't just buy their way out of a tight spot, and maybe, just maybe, us lower div clubs will be able to hold onto our best junior talent. Wonder what the future of Boroondara Hawks is?

Which lower division club are you with mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back