Division 1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s been a big ride but I wonder how much more of it there is to go… there are a few local government areas in Melbourne where Vermont probably wouldn’t be given a ground to play on while they own poker machines. The world is changing.

Having said that, they’d probably just buy their own ground.
There's nothing preventing Vermont from financially backing a few people to become councilors and having a greater say in Council matters.

There's nothing preventing Vermont from financially backing a few people to become councilors and having a greater say in Council matters.

Possibly but that’s a pretty tough sell. There’s 180k people in Whitehorse, how many of them are really dialled in and passionate about Vermont FC? Maybe a few hundred? Plenty of their people would live outside the area too and wouldn’t vote.

Just saying the world is changing, they have ridden the highs, I can just see life getting a bit tougher in the future for what is essentially a poker machine company with a few footy teams.

I agree and in saying that if you follow the world of Politics money is power/influence. It doesn't have to be someone from the club just someone that is basically their lobbyist. Joe Blogs would love a 100k campaign fund. Some Councils charge higher fees for Clubs that have a major income stream like Poker Machines. Vermont is a business that happens to run a football club.

I agree and in saying that if you follow the world of Politics money is power/influence. It doesn't have to be someone from the club just someone that is basically their lobbyist. Joe Blogs would love a 100k campaign fund. Some Councils charge higher fees for Clubs that have a major income stream like Poker Machines. Vermont is a business that happens to run a football club.

I wonder if at some point it’d be worth a clubs like Vermont getting out while the going is good.

Just thinking the way the social opinion of pokies is going.

I have no idea what their businesses are worth, but you’d think it would be plenty.

AFL clubs have seen the writing on the wall and “got out of pokies“ and they’ve trumpeted it as being responsible. It’s not really, they’re just realising a huge sale price for the business now instead of taking the profits over future years. The machines are still there and the gamblers still use them.

But anyway, if you could realise $10m in selling a business or two… drop it in a term deposit at 5% and every 12 months you get a $500k cheque to run the footy club.

Sounds pretty good to me.

they had 8 former Essendon players

They had Gary Moorcroft (arguably one of the best local players ever in Vic), Aaron Henneman, Marc Bullen & Ben Haynes.
Had a few guys who were fringe-ish at big EFL clubs as well eg Steve Newman from Vermont (the one that went on to play at Bayswater and Mooroolbark).

Ha, got a heads-up on that by a quite disappointed suitor.

I was told by this extremely reliable source that Rankin was offered $2.5k per match by another club.

(That should be taken with the point that he will play at Port Melbourne whenever available, so will perhaps play only a few games).

I can only assume he has knocked back this enormous money for far less to play locally up in the hills at South Belgrave. Good for them, must be an amazing culture up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha, got a heads-up on that by a quite disappointed suitor.

I was told by this extremely reliable source that Rankin was offered $2.5k per match by another club.

(That should be taken with the point that he will play at Port Melbourne whenever available, so will perhaps play only a few games).

I can only assume he has knocked back this enormous money for far less to play locally up in the hills at South Belgrave. Good for them, must be an amazing culture up there.
Probably blessed with outstanding plumbing abilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back