D1 Division 1 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

We played our 98th Reserves player for the year today - massive effort not to forfeit. Bit disappointing that our opposition played 18 v 14 all day and did not 'even up'. But rather than complain or forfeit we just played, got smashed, but hit the pub tonight together. Great effort lads. 🤍🖤💪

Chump 🏆
Interesting. Why should they even up if you can’t get enough to fill the ground? And where do you draw the line? 17, 16, 15?
If they even up and play 14 on 14, what if they lose? That’s not really fair is it?

We played our 98th Reserves player for the year today - massive effort not to forfeit. Bit disappointing that our opposition played 18 v 14 all day and did not 'even up'. But rather than complain or forfeit we just played, got smashed, but hit the pub tonight together. Great effort lads. 🤍🖤💪

Chump 🏆
Bit cheap when you’ve filled a 3rds side comfortably weekly. Maybe some cohesion wouldn’t go astray Chump. Off ya’s go, see ya later mate

Bit cheap when you’ve filled a 3rds side comfortably weekly. Maybe some cohesion wouldn’t go astray Chump. Off ya’s go, see ya later mate
So 14 v 18 was the right thing to do was it? We should have just forfeited if you think that is ok, but didn't.

As for our thirds we have an agreement with that group - who came to our club to play togther as a group of mates only or not at all - that they don't 'feed seniors or reserves'. They also were 'short' on 4-6 weeks mid year with 9 O/S. We have honoured that agreement (or the team would not exist) and done everything possible to still field a team each week in our twos. Another club supported that with the 'even up' rule on the one occasion we needed it so people got a game, another club took the piss -IMO

Chump 🏆

Last edited:

Interesting. Why should they even up if you can’t get enough to fill the ground? And where do you draw the line? 17, 16, 15?
If they even up and play 14 on 14, what if they lose? That’s not really fair is it?
It's actually the 'suggested' guideline by the ammo's. You play even numbers on the ground and then the team with more numbers has the advantage of an interchange.

I doubt our team who sits dead last posed any real threat, but each to their own opinion. Im just expressing mine and if others think differently - then we can agree to disagree. It's not going to ruin my week 😂

Chump 🏆

Last edited:
What about Payran
I agree Bedders - their best is as good as anyone's. Oakleigh though smashed us both times and played the best of any we played this year for mind. Should be a very even finals with 4 very good teams - all of which could win it on their day.

Good luck to everyone involved in finals and as they say - may the best team win!

Chump 🏆

I agree Bedders - their best is as good as anyone's. Oakleigh though smashed us both times and played the best of any we played this year for mind. Should be a very even finals with 4 very good teams - all of which could win it on their day.

Good luck to everyone involved in finals and as they say - may the best team win!

Chump 🏆
And our 3rds came from behind to pip you

My way too early finals predictions for week 1:

Clokeleigh to beat the Combine in a close one. Not going to be the same result as the weekend, but Oakleigh's big key forwards are up and about - Oakleigh 6 points

Payran's top end talent to be to good for UHS (who seemingly played their final on Saturday) - Payran 6 goals

Not 100% across relegation/promotion in Division 1 this year - with Ivanhoe departing to the NFNL does that mean just Preston will do down to D2 next year?

Chump 🏆
Believe the twos unearthed a 16 year old jet somehow related to a committee member! Kid goes well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually the 'suggested' guideline by the ammo's. You play even numbers on the ground and then the team with more numbers has the advantage of an interchange.

I doubt our team who sits dead last posed any real threat, but each to their own opinion. Im just expressing mine and if others think differently - then we can agree to disagree. It's not going to ruin my week 😂

Chump 🏆

Haven't done the math but perhaps prahan were hoping for GE reserves to put oakleigh to the sword and thought they'd do everything they possibly could to make finals given they missed out on percentage.

Haven't done the math but perhaps prahan were hoping for GE reserves to put oakleigh to the sword and thought they'd do everything they possibly could to make finals given they missed out on percentage.

This is correct. The hope was that GE would beat Oakleigh by 70-80 odd and the 2s would win by a billion and make up the gap. Unlikely but worth having a crack. It was actually 18v17 to start with too but i think Ivanhoe had a few injured after that. Nothing about disrespecting the oppo at all just wanted to try and play finals.

Well done to the ivanhoe ones boys Saturday they showed plenty of heart. All the best in the NFNL.

How was the trek this morning out to whitefriars? How was the deck? Again I'm shocked it's hosting divisional finals, travel time etc etc
Didn't make it after a 08 and 18 double reunion but they had a big following , ground and rooms were fantastic i believe. Off to Sandy Saturday morning

My way too early finals predictions for week 1:

Clokeleigh to beat the Combine in a close one. Not going to be the same result as the weekend, but Oakleigh's big key forwards are up and about - Oakleigh 6 points

Payran's top end talent to be to good for UHS (who seemingly played their final on Saturday) - Payran 6 goals

Not 100% across relegation/promotion in Division 1 this year - with Ivanhoe departing to the NFNL does that mean just Preston will do down to D2 next year?
Oakleigh are a great team and have improved since we first met them.

We'll have our work cut out for us if we are to reverse the 100 point drubbing from the weekend. Their midfield didn't give our forwards a chance and the big bodies in their forward line were unstoppable.

Prahran have also come into some good form in the back end of the season, setting up a cracking finals series.

Does anyone know when the finals venues are announced? Surely if Sandy is available, they will play the GE v Oakleigh game there.

This is correct. The hope was that GE would beat Oakleigh by 70-80 odd and the 2s would win by a billion and make up the gap. Unlikely but worth having a crack. It was actually 18v17 to start with too but i think Ivanhoe had a few injured after that. Nothing about disrespecting the oppo at all just wanted to try and play finals.

Well done to the ivanhoe ones boys Saturday they showed plenty of heart. All the best in the NFNL.
Remember this is the same Ivanhoe that run around thrashing opposition sides last year. They have short memories.

Remember this is the same Ivanhoe that run around thrashing opposition sides last year. They have short memories.
I do note that you are always VERY quick to bag Ivanhoe Seemyhat. Why is that? Did we do something to you?

The point I was making was we were player number poor and that the player even up guideline could have been used. That is a little different to full numbers for both teams and one better than the other ie: as we saw in our senior game on the weekend - they were just too good. Those from Prahran have advised why - an very outside chance at finals - of which has been accepted and we move on.

Anyway, if you want to hold a grudge for something, then good luck to you and whoever you support

#hatersgonnahate

Cheers, Chump :trophy:

Last edited:
Oakleigh are a great team and have improved since we first met them.

We'll have our work cut out for us if we are to reverse the 100 point drubbing from the weekend. Their midfield didn't give our forwards a chance and the big bodies in their forward line were unstoppable.

Prahran have also come into some good form in the back end of the season, setting up a cracking finals series.

Does anyone know when the finals venues are announced? Surely if Sandy is available, they will play the GE v Oakleigh game there.
Big rumour is 4 games at Northcote on Saturday with DIV 1 and Div 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back