Division 1 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Happens to every club, in every grade, every year. If only a few going for cash I would suggest they are doing better than most.
Not only money. Players go with coach or mates. Sometimes clubs have administration problems. Lots of reasons. Not always a simple reason. Volume of exits is the clue.

Hearing Ormond have lost the skipper, three or four of the best five and some depth boys on the move. Might not be a straight forward bounce.

Hearing Ormond have lost the skipper, three or four of the best five and some depth boys on the move. Might not be a straight forward bounce.
Going down a division you always see some turnover in the playing list. You never know what can happen

FYI Sandy Dragons is the under age comp for elite private schoolboys
Nevertheless it is more likely future prospects would go to or stay with a club which will enhance their chances of an afl or vfl career. Eg. The coaching etc in the elite clubs is far better for the player in the long term. Apart from the holy dollar being offered to these kids you have to fight off the elite clubs chasing them. The VAFA even makes it clear by calling these clubs Premier Grade.

Nevertheless it is more likely future prospects would go to or stay with a club which will enhance their chances of an afl or vfl career. Eg. The coaching etc in the elite clubs is far better for the player in the long term. Apart from the holy dollar being offered to these kids you have to fight off the elite clubs chasing them. The VAFA even makes it clear by calling these clubs Premier Grade.
Our lads at a VFL club are allowed to play for us .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our lads at a VFL club are allowed to play for us .
It would definitely be frowned upon, Players not picked playing in a division that isn't the next highest. I know kids released or not picked for TAC cup/coates league are encouraged to go play high division senior footy instead in hopes of a recall.

James Strauss to Yarra
Quick look at gameday says he hasn't played since 2017 for SKOB, still a fair decent pick up playing or not, Wonder if the coach (formerly asst. of kew) will try and nab a few more players

It would definitely be frowned upon, Players not picked playing in a division that isn't the next highest. I know kids released or not picked for TAC cup/coates league are encouraged to go play high division senior footy instead in hopes of a recall.

Quick look at gameday says he hasn't played since 2017 for SKOB, still a fair decent pick up playing or not, Wonder if the coach (formerly asst. of kew) will try and nab a few more players
Already tried with a few Kew fellas apparently - will be a bit of spice in that first Old Yarra-Kew derby (and let's be honest, we all love a bitta spice!!!)

Already tried with a few Kew fellas apparently - will be a bit of spice in that first Old Yarra-Kew derby (and let's be honest, we all love a bitta spice!!!)

Not surprising, I'd bet every assistant or 2's coach who leaves for another club's senior position would try and take players with them.
Ripe for the picking with a new coach coming in and off a poor year last year. Must have some unreal depth because their reserves are always good though

Let's kick off the new year with some D1 predictions for 2024.
I'll stick my neck out here and go for Therry as premiers, had some good wins last year and got some cracking kids coming through.
Prahran should be there about and if UHS list from 2023 is in tact then they should compete again.
Ormond seem to have lost a few topliners but should be strong enough to round out a spot in the four.
Parkside and Yarra should be competitive and Peninsula will win some home games.
Without U/19's and with the retirement of some handy types I can't see where the improvement comes from with West Brunswick so have them taking one of the relegation spots with Kew potentially joining them.

I'll stick my neck out here and go for Therry as premiers, had some good wins last year and got some cracking kids coming through.
Prahran should be there about and if UHS list from 2023 is in tact then they should compete again.
Ormond seem to have lost a few topliners but should be strong enough to round out a spot in the four.
Parkside and Yarra should be competitive and Peninsula will win some home games.
Without U/19's and with the retirement of some handy types I can't see where the improvement comes from with West Brunswick so have them taking one of the relegation spots with Kew potentially joining them.
No discussion maybe I should have posted that Ormond have lost their best 10 including Captain and Vice captain and will go double drop, that might get some discussion happenning.

UHS
Prahan
Parkside
Ormond
Therry
OYC
Old Peninsula
Kew
West Brunswick

No discussion maybe I should have posted that Ormond have lost their best 10 including Captain and Vice captain and will go double drop, that might get some discussion happenning.
10 of best ! really name names . Yes some have left for cash , Fish Creek rats like to go after ours and 3 to GVFL due to circumstances where 2 were brought up . Our kids are good and loyal , 19's back and not weak as piss as some in the past

Remove this Banner Ad

Back