D2 Division 2 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

NOBS
South Melbourne
Saint Marys
Whitefrairs
The Animals

My the nobs did well last week, very excited to see what they have against Hawthorn who put in a strong win against a great side last year. Expect Tahj Haddock to have his hands full in the backline, possibly a BOG if Nobs come out victorious.

Took the long drive out to Gilion Oval to watch the Citz take on Brunswick.
Citz looked to have the game in control midway through the 2nd, but a double goal free kick changed everything. Brunswick then kicked the next 10 goals - 12 in a row if you count those 2. Haven't seen a quarter of football like that in many years from the Citz.
Must say it was interesting to see 3 umpires for a Div 2 game - all miked up!!
All credit to Brunswick, they put the Citz to the sword when it mattered. They are disciplined and well coached.
Don't think the Citz are that bad, with many regular faces watching from the wrong side of the fence. Looking forward to seeing if they can bounce back.

Took the long drive out to Gilion Oval to watch the Citz take on Brunswick.
Citz looked to have the game in control midway through the 2nd, but a double goal free kick changed everything. Brunswick then kicked the next 10 goals - 12 in a row if you count those 2. Haven't seen a quarter of football like that in many years from the Citz.
Must say it was interesting to see 3 umpires for a Div 2 game - all miked up!!
All credit to Brunswick, they put the Citz to the sword when it mattered. They are disciplined and well coached.
Don't think the Citz are that bad, with many regular faces watching from the wrong side of the fence. Looking forward to seeing if they can bounce back.

Great summation.

When do you get Meehan and Raiti back playing together? Those two completely change the dynamic for the Hawks and will be more than a handful for teams

Unfortunately it felt similar to last year against mid table teams for us. We got jumped and didn't respond.

Must win games the next fortnight.

Not easy to win playing at Melb High, but SMD managed to control the game most of the day. Kicked the first 4 or 5 of the game and held the lead for the rest of the game. MH got a run on a couple of times and looked threatening but SMD were able to wrestle back control of the game before they got too close.

Pereira looked dangerous for MH, did some damage when he got his hands on the ball, fortunately his opportunities were limited. #5 for MH off half back got a lot of the footy but was under immediate pressure which dampened his influence.

My main man Jamie Brooker back to his best kicking 6 despite coming off an injury in preseason. Couple of new recruits for SMD were very strong through the middle, as well as the usual suspects that were down in defence. Strong performance up and down the spine.

Onto our first "home" game vs the Citz next week, albeit away from the clubrooms. Fingers crossed the cricket wicket on Albert Park Oval 1 has not degraded into a mud pit just yet.

Being past players day I was actually able to watch Aquinas for the first time in a long time against local rivals Whitefriars.

Our pressure was intense from the get go and whilst early we battled to translate this on the scoreboard as the game wore on the goals started flowing, which led to a 42 point lead just prior to 3/4 time.

2 late goals to the visitors just before the last break gave them a sniff and they came out firing in the last quarter as we fell a little flat. We worked super hard in the last 10 minutes to hold on and enjoy our first win since Round 4 last year.

A great result after being ahead deep into the last quarter last week. We’re super young and the boys deserved the win and to sing the song again.

It was also great to take back the Wilkinson-Strike Cup for the first time since 2010 and the minute silence and memorial held pre-game was top notch and a superb tribute to 2 greats of their respective clubs.

Being past players day I was actually able to watch Aquinas for the first time in a long time against local rivals Whitefriars.

Our pressure was intense from the get go and whilst early we battled to translate this on the scoreboard as the game wore on the goals started flowing, which led to a 42 point lead just prior to 3/4 time.

2 late goals to the visitors just before the last break gave them a sniff and they came out firing in the last quarter as we fell a little flat. We worked super hard in the last 10 minutes to hold on and enjoy our first win since Round 4 last year.

A great result after being ahead deep into the last quarter last week. We’re super young and the boys deserved the win and to sing the song again.

It was also great to take back the Wilkinson-Strike Cup for the first time since 2010 and the minute silence and memorial held pre-game was top notch and a superb tribute to 2 greats of their respective clubs.
Back on the top oval?

Great summation.

When do you get Meehan and Raiti back playing together? Those two completely change the dynamic for the Hawks and will be more than a handful for teams
Looks like Meehan played thirds in rd 1 and reserves against Brunswick

Surely a walk up start into the senior side…..

Looks like Meehan played thirds in rd 1 and reserves against Brunswick

Surely a walk up start into the senior side…..
Thanks to all that have contributed here as its great to have game summaries. I will try to get to as many Citz's games as I can and will report back each time. I will do my best to be as unbiased as I can but no promises!!!
Not sure what the go is with Billy, I heard he umpired the ressies last week. Class player and they could have definitely used him on the weekend.

Seniors on the top oval, reserves on the bottom as has been the case for some years now. Construction work at the school over the past couple of years has pushed more games to the bottom but that appears to be finished now.
We copped the double bottom oval last year. Honestly feel it shouldn't be used ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back