Division 2 thread 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Beg to differ Sth Belgrave the exception but in my opinion Ringwood The Basin East Burwood Boronia would not get within 10 goals of a premier league club.

Depends on the club. I mean the bottom reaches of Premier.

South Belgrave weren’t a runaway winner with a percentage of 300+ or something. During the season their average margin was a 30 point win (if you take out Oakleigh who clearly didn’t belong).

It’d be competitive.

I’ve said before but divisions aren’t the be all and end all in terms of actual team quality at a given point in time. Clubs go up and down based on grand final wins for a start, not based on whole seasons. Look at Mitcham going up over Ringwood in 2019. And then clubs improve and decline heaps with list changes. Quite often clubs could quite reasonably compete up a division or even two.

Last edited:
And yet despite being relegated districts already doing a fair bit of business with the dual chandler medalist signed as coach and a few other handy signings including one with wafl experience…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And yet despite being relegated districts already doing a fair bit of business with the dual chandler medalist signed as coach and a few other handy signings including one with wafl experience…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
A few nervous clubs in Div 3 now. You always suspected that once they signed Pearson that other big names would be in play. A chandler medalist doesn't just sign up to be a playing coach without some other guarantees or things in play.

The usual questions about the cap will now be asked again with OD recruits. I'm told Coldy was right on the 60k cap this year and finished 4th and although the cap has increased to 66K for 2023, there are 2 extra games so its actually a net loss per week available for player payments.

Im really questioning the merit of the cap. I don't believe the majority are following it.

A few nervous clubs in Div 3 now. You always suspected that once they signed Pearson that other big names would be in play. A chandler medalist doesn't just sign up to be a playing coach without some other guarantees or things in play.

The usual questions about the cap will now be asked again with OD recruits. I'm told Coldy was right on the 60k cap this year and finished 4th and although the cap has increased to 66K for 2023, there are 2 extra games so its actually a net loss per week available for player payments.

Im really questioning the merit of the cap. I don't believe the majority are following it.

I don’t know about a majority.

I would say many actually are following it and probably couldn’t afford to break it by much even if they wanted to. A few are probably bending it here and there and then there’s a few who are pretty openly taking the piss (in all leagues) and it’s not hard to spot them.

OD is doing everything right and good for them. smashed all year and kept their heads high. On the salary cap, I would suggest it really only catches idiots out. The salary cap means nothing if you have people with dollars behind your club who have businesses. They merely employ players who they pay above the normal salary. This is perfectly legal and happens everywhere.

Not sure how accurate but what I heard from someone involved in a club is to get around the salary cap you have your high paid players as playing midfield coach, playing backline coach etc. They then get paid $800 for being a coach which is not in the salary cap and $200 for playing which is.

That’s completely incorrect & if a club is doing this & get caught they are going to be in serious trouble.

Clubs can pay $10k outside the cap for playing coaches, but the coaching element must not exceed 50% of their total remuneration. That’s how it was last time I looked……

That’s completely incorrect & if a club is doing this & get caught they are going to be in serious trouble.

Clubs can pay $10k outside the cap for playing coaches, but the coaching element must not exceed 50% of their total remuneration. That’s how it was last time I looked……
Correct there is a soft cap.

Clubs with strong networks outside of footy are really able to excel under the current rules. There’s nothing wrong with paying a bloke a standard rate per game but throwing a heap of work his way if he’s a Tradie for example. Perfectly legitimate even if in some cases assumptions are made that clubs are bending rules.

There will always be the haves and have nots in clubland. Clubs just need to go about it differently these days.

Clubs with strong networks outside of footy are really able to excel under the current rules. There’s nothing wrong with paying a bloke a standard rate per game but throwing a heap of work his way if he’s a Tradie for example. Perfectly legitimate even if in some cases assumptions are made that clubs are bending rules.

There will always be the haves and have nots in clubland. Clubs just need to go about it differently these days.
Anyone know what the Total Team Points Allocation will be for next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to hear another club now becoming a football/ netball club. Many clubs have already done this to reflect the changing demographics. Clubs such as Boronia and The Basin have reaped significant benefits as a result of having women‘s football and netball as part of their clubs. The general club environments at these and other clubs have improved significantly and seen more sponsorship, families and participants getting on board.

All the best to the Rams.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back