Division 2 thread 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see Karl Worner set to debut for the Dockers. The Dockers have flown the family over. There's another name that goes on the wall at East Burwood.

Great to see Karl Worner set to debut for the Dockers. The Dockers have flown the family over. There's another name that goes on the wall at East Burwood.
Yes, he's worked very hard and has been playing really consistent footy for Peel Thunder for the past two seasons. I hope they all have a great time.

Boronia all over the Rams. Back to reality at East Burwood. I wasn't there but the feedback from the Boronia President thanking our supporters for helping clean up and coming into the rooms is really appreciated. Both clubs have built a good rapport with each other and that is what local football is about.

Last edited:
Back to the winners circle with a great 22pt comeback win over Heathmont and still a game ahead of Ringwood and Mulgrave. A couple of injuries are the bad news. Ringwood (6) and Mulgrave (7) play each other next week. Other interesting games will be Boronia(1) v Tempelstowe(2) and Heathmont (3) v Glen Waverley Blues ((4)

Last edited:
Back to the winners circle with a great 22pt comeback win over Heathmont and still a game ahead of Ringwood and Mulgrave. A couple of injuries are the bad news. Ringwood (6) and Mulgrave (7) play each other next week. Other interesting games will be Boronia(1) v Tempelstowe(2) and Heathmont (3) v Glen Waverley Blues ((4)
Went and had a look at Boronia today and they were ruthless against Knox. Knox werent good and Boronia did ease off late in the game. Going to take a good side to get anywhere near them.

What is interesting is the premier in Division 2 doesn’t get promoted this year because of the restructure of each division. If Boronia do win the flag that will be two premierships in five years and both in seasons with no promotion. They look ready to move up and probably stronger than a number of clubs in the higher division.

Knox are looking likely to head to 3rd division along with Upper Ferntree Gully. It’s amazing how success is cyclical. Wasn’t long ago Knox were in premier division and Upper were going ok in division 1. Where did it go wrong for Knox as they had great juniors and lots of depth.

Last edited:
Went and had a look at Boronia today and they were ruthless against Knox. Knox werent good and Boronia did ease off late in the game. Going to take a good side to get anywhere near them.

What is interesting is the premier in Division 2 doesn’t get promoted this year because of the restructure of each division. If Boronia do win the flag that will be two premierships in five years and both in seasons where there is no promotion. They certainly look ready to move up and probably stronger than a number of clubs in the higher division.

Knox are looking likely to head to 3rd division along with Upper Ferntree Gully. It’s amazing how success is cyclical. Wasn’t long ago Knox were in premier division and Upper were going ok in division 1. Where did it go wrong for Knox as they had great juniors and lots of depth.

League has pulled the wrong rein with no promotion.

It’s generally been the case when there’s been more than one relegation above and the thinking has always been that being promoted to a division where multiple bottom sides are dropping out is too big a jump.

It’s clearly not the case. The last couple of years have shown that the divisions are closer than ever (as they should be given salary cap and points evening things out) and promoted clubs are not just competing when they go up, they’re contending. Look at East Ringwood, South Belgrave, East Burwood, Waverley Blues etc. You’ve gotta let premiers go up.

Should have been three down and one up. South Belgrave or Boronia would be far more competitive up a division than the current third-last teams.

I feel sorry for Upper. A couple of years ago they had a terrific bunch of U19's come through and they looked like they would the future of the club. Unfortunately, they were poached by other clubs and then their clubrooms flooded which led to a couple of years without proper rooms. Really hard to recruit junior and senior players with the delays that lasted for at least 2 years. The council needs a kick in the pudendum's. They have lots of young kids out that way and I hope they can develop and recruit players that will stay long term.

I feel sorry for Upper. A couple of years ago they had a terrific bunch of U19's come through and they looked like they would the future of the club. Unfortunately, they were poached by other clubs and then their clubrooms flooded which led to a couple of years without proper rooms. Really hard to recruit junior and senior players with the delays that lasted for at least 2 years. The council needs a kick in the pudendum's. They have lots of young kids out that way and I hope they can develop and recruit players that will stay long term.
Couldn’t agree more Cliff. The efforts of Knox Council and the change rooms at Kings Park have been nothing short of embarrassing. So much blame shifting and excuses. Their efforts have impacted on the club in such a negative manner. Their lack of understanding about the importance of community sport and providing suitable facilities has been abhorrent. Same issues have arisen when Boronia secured funding to rebuild their facilities and council found every excuse possible for the project to not occur.

Many of those young UFTG players are at other clubs and others are not playing footy any more. Certain clubs (well known for this) are claiming them as home grown despite them being UFTG players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very bad loss to Knox today. It doesn't look promising if our injuries continue. We just can't continue to absorb injuries any more.

Any updates?

Confirmed. Talk about totally weird. They're about to hit finals with a double chance and the coach has gone

I'd venture perhaps they're not a terribly well run club

EFNL Division 2: Templestowe, Anthony McGregor part ways in coaching bombshell​

Templestowe has parted ways with coach Anthony McGregor just four weeks out from the Eastern league finals. Both sides break their silence.

TEMPLESTOWE has parted ways with senior coach Anthony McGregor just weeks out from the finals in a shock development in the Eastern league’s Division 2.

The Dockers’ mentor stepped down last Thursday night ahead of the club’s Round 15 match against Boronia – with midfielder Nick Batsanis stepping into a playing-coaching role.

Templestowe president Russell Smith said McGregor had opted not to coach out the season after being informed his job “wasn’t guaranteed for next year”, with the club exploring its options.

Smith added there was “nothing personal about it”.

“Basically, we spoke to ‘Mac’ on Tuesday last week and just had a chat that we might be looking at other options next year – it was more along the lines that his job wasn’t guaranteed for next year,” Smith said.

“It wasn’t that we definitely weren’t going with him, but we would be looking at other options, but his job was guaranteed for the remainder of the year.

“On the back of that, ‘Mac’ went to the leadership group on Tuesday night … (and said) ‘This is what I’m led to believe, if you guys want me to finish up now I will, but if you guys want me to coach out the year, I will.’

“The leadership group said yes (to coaching out the year) … at that point that was our understanding.

“I had a good chat to ‘Mac’ on the Wednesday and then on the Thursday we had a (planned) committee meeting and he joined us and said the situation in his eyes was untenable, and he’d be finishing up tonight.”

Templestowe sits third ahead of a finals campaign, and McGregor said he was “gutted” by the timing of the club’s discussions.

The Dockers were second on the ladder leading into last weekend’s match before their 29-point loss.

“I’m absolutely devastated to be honest, gutted – there couldn’t be any more words for it,” McGregor said.

“I’m gutted for the playing group and for the work we’ve put in for two years – we’ve gone from losing by an average of 80 points every game to sitting second.

“Their (the club’s) timing is just poor – I can understand doing it at the end of the year … I don’t get it.

“I’ve put a lot of heart and soul into the club and the playing group, and it would’ve been lovely to get a chance to coach them in finals and achieve something.”

McGregor said he hoped to coach at another club as soon as next season.

He served as Warrandyte coach in Division 3 from 2018 to 2020, taking the club to a semi-final in 2019 after stints in the Northern league.

In 2021 he was an assistant at Premier Division outfit Doncaster before landing the Dockers’ role ahead of 2022.

“Absolutely (I’d like to coach again) – I think I’ve got a lot to offer,” McGregor said.

“One hundred per cent, I’d take a call.”

McGregor said he attended Templestowe’s match on the weekend and would continue to support the players.

“At the end of the day, my main care has always been the playing group.”

Confirmed. Talk about totally weird. They're about to hit finals with a double chance and the coach has gone

Templestowe has parted ways with coach Anthony McGregor just four weeks out from the Eastern league finals. Both sides break their silence.

TEMPLESTOWE has parted ways with senior coach Anthony McGregor just weeks out from the finals in a shock development in the Eastern league’s Division 2.

The Dockers’ mentor stepped down last Thursday night ahead of the club’s Round 15 match against Boronia – with midfielder Nick Batsanis stepping into a playing-coaching role.

Templestowe president Russell Smith said McGregor had opted not to coach out the season after being informed his job “wasn’t guaranteed for next year”, with the club exploring its options.

Smith added there was “nothing personal about it”.

“Basically, we spoke to ‘Mac’ on Tuesday last week and just had a chat that we might be looking at other options next year – it was more along the lines that his job wasn’t guaranteed for next year,” Smith said.

“It wasn’t that we definitely weren’t going with him, but we would be looking at other options, but his job was guaranteed for the remainder of the year.

“On the back of that, ‘Mac’ went to the leadership group on Tuesday night … (and said) ‘This is what I’m led to believe, if you guys want me to finish up now I will, but if you guys want me to coach out the year, I will.’

“The leadership group said yes (to coaching out the year) … at that point that was our understanding.

“I had a good chat to ‘Mac’ on the Wednesday and then on the Thursday we had a (planned) committee meeting and he joined us and said the situation in his eyes was untenable, and he’d be finishing up tonight.”

Templestowe sits third ahead of a finals campaign, and McGregor said he was “gutted” by the timing of the club’s discussions.

The Dockers were second on the ladder leading into last weekend’s match before their 29-point loss.

“I’m absolutely devastated to be honest, gutted – there couldn’t be any more words for it,” McGregor said.

“I’m gutted for the playing group and for the work we’ve put in for two years – we’ve gone from losing by an average of 80 points every game to sitting second.

“Their (the club’s) timing is just poor – I can understand doing it at the end of the year … I don’t get it.

“I’ve put a lot of heart and soul into the club and the playing group, and it would’ve been lovely to get a chance to coach them in finals and achieve something.”

McGregor said he hoped to coach at another club as soon as next season.

He served as Warrandyte coach in Division 3 from 2018 to 2020, taking the club to a semi-final in 2019 after stints in the Northern league.

In 2021 he was an assistant at Premier Division outfit Doncaster before landing the Dockers’ role ahead of 2022.

“Absolutely (I’d like to coach again) – I think I’ve got a lot to offer,” McGregor said.

“One hundred per cent, I’d take a call.”

McGregor said he attended Templestowe’s match on the weekend and would continue to support the players.

“At the end of the day, my main care has always been the playing group.”
Thats very odd, Odd timing . You would think there has to be something the President has up his sleeve. Shows the class of McGregor how he has handled it. Once again Committees make some weird decisions. Dont know much about the President but does he have a footy playing background?

Thanks for sharing this

Thats very odd, Odd timing . You would think there has to be something the President has up his sleeve. Shows the class of McGregor how he has handled it. Once again Committees make some weird decisions. Dont know much about the President but does he have a footy playing background?
why not coach out the season?

It's when you hear that "the coach has the full support of the committee/board" or maybe in this case "his job was guaranteed for the remainder of the year", was the thing that did it.
The President's timing needs to improve. Unless the coach next year is a superstar then the President's move is nuff, nuff stuff. I'll bet Stuart Dew won't be going there!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back