D3 Division 3 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmmm. Be interested to see their bank balance. NFL Div 3 salary cap is $90,000 next year. Don’t know many VAFA clubs below B grade that have that sort of coin to fork out year on year. They would also have to be debt free to the VAFA for AFL Vic to approve the move. My intel says that is far from the case.

Hmmm. Be interested to see their bank balance. NFL Div 3 salary cap is $90,000 next year. Don’t know many VAFA clubs below B grade that have that sort of coin to fork out year on year. They would also have to be debt free to the VAFA for AFL Vic to approve the move. My intel says that is far from the case.
So essentially the basis for their leaving would only be if the VAFA was happy to see the back of them. And I'm not really sure that would be the case.

You do know how much of the $90,000 salary cap you have to pay? Zero

You do know how much of the $90,000 salary cap you have to pay? Zero
That’s a very good point, but for a club who apparently has the highest debt owed to VAFA out of all clubs, perhaps moving to a paid league might not be the smartest move? Personally I would love the Turtles to stay, always had good battles with them and even when we lost, we still got to hear the “shells on our backs” bit of their song.

That’s a very good point, but for a club who apparently has the highest debt owed to VAFA out of all clubs, perhaps moving to a paid league might not be the smartest move? Personally I would love the Turtles to stay, always had good battles with them and even when we lost, we still got to hear the “shells on our backs” bit of their song.

Alcohol sales would perhaps pay the debt off?

I think the theory for the turtles would be around having the ability to recruit players via cash incentives rather than rely on traditional love of the game methods. Most div 3 clubs don’t go anywhere near the max salary cap. Panton Hill would be the only side in the ball park.

I think the theory for the turtles would be around having the ability to recruit players via cash incentives rather than rely on traditional love of the game methods. Most div 3 clubs don’t go anywhere near the max salary cap. Panton Hill would be the only side in the ball park.
Have they definitely gone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turtles to the NFNL
Mt Lillydale to EFL

Someone mentioned a club down Mornington way was possibly off. What would it take to head to 3 numbered divisions?

We get some pretty good crowds now?
So what are the odds of both D4 and D3 being 9 team comps??
Pretty remote, I'd think. D4 depends on movements of Mt Lilydale, South Mornington, Chadstone and (possibly) Reservoir, plus any others not yet rumoured. D3 would be almost certainly 10, imo. VAFA procedure in cases like that (a div 3 side leaving) is 2-up, 1-down, in which case Albert Park would get a reprieve (again - they stayed up in 2018 after Point Cook left).

Turtles to the NFNL
Mt Lillydale to EFL

Someone mentioned a club down Mornington way was possibly off. What would it take to head to 3 numbered divisions?
Dunno, but I'd doubt that the VAFA would want a bottom division of fewer than 7 teams. 6 is too small, with teams playing each other too many times. 36 teams in four divisions could be repacked into 3 divs 12-12-12 but, apart from the uneven draws in each div, it messes a lot of sides around and wouldn't be popular: clubs who fancied themselves as premiership contenders in their current division would suddenly find themselves in a higher div, with no chance of finals.

Looking at it as an outsider, my concern is that if the VAFA has to start rearranging divisions, they might refloat the idiotic idea of regionalization yet again - put the clubs into 3 geographic divisions where the bottom sides can get flogged every week, like back in the 90s.

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I thought the VAFA clubs were amateur. How are clubs above B grade able to fork out $90,000 per year?

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I thought the VAFA clubs were amateur. How are clubs above B grade able to fork out $90,000 per year?
Funding and sponsorship in the bank account doesn’t mean players being paid. The reference is to that amateur clubs don’t have the money I believe?

You might find a few clubs that are pretty business savvy & actually do quite well off field but have nothing to spend it on. Selling beer is not the answer to struggling clubs problems, strong committees good networking/sponsorship & most importantly good culture is the key. Yes obviously regional demographics plays a big part but if you get those 3 things in place you can go far.

You might find a few clubs that are pretty business savvy & actually do quite well off field but have nothing to spend it on. Selling beer is not the answer to struggling clubs problems, strong committees good networking/sponsorship & most importantly good culture is the key. Yes obviously regional demographics plays a big part but if you get those 3 things in place you can go far.
Virtually 100% of successful clubs are successful off the ground before on field success is achieved. Those that stay successful might be advantaged regionally & demographically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back