D4 Division 4 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume the Team of the Year will be released in the final amateur footballer?

Good reason to move. I should have made it clearer that I didn't intend my comment as a backhanded sledge of North Croydon. There's reasons for moving other than seeking on field success (less travel, wanting to pay players), but these would not seem to apply to BHN or Eley Park. Travel is certainly less of an issue for them - they are quite central by VAFA standards.

Don't know their financial situation but I don't think they'd have the coin to do it - or not enough to attract and keep players good enough to make a difference.

Really, it has been a massive effort for Eley Park to survive and keep fielding two sides each week. They are in an area where interest in footy is pretty low (Box Hill, which has large numbers of first generation migrants) and an identity problem (they are named after a football ground no one has ever heard of, and don't play there anyway). I would expect that they would have trouble attracting enough sponsors or supporters to keep going at all, let alone generate the money to pay players.

One option I think is worth exploring is Eley Park merging with South Yarra SFNL. (For anyone not across SFNL, South Yarra play not that far away in North Balwyn and went 'into recess' mid way through the 2023 season). Combining and choosing a more relevant name (North Balwyn?) might give them more strength (better numbers) and a bit more local buy in (players, supporters, sponsors).
Re Ely park you really have to give kudos to their coach for the rebuild getting two teams on the park.

Good reason to move. I should have made it clearer that I didn't intend my comment as a backhanded sledge of North Croydon. There's reasons for moving other than seeking on field success (less travel, wanting to pay players), but these would not seem to apply to BHN or Eley Park. Travel is certainly less of an issue for them - they are quite central by VAFA standards.

Don't know their financial situation but I don't think they'd have the coin to do it - or not enough to attract and keep players good enough to make a difference.

Really, it has been a massive effort for Eley Park to survive and keep fielding two sides each week. They are in an area where interest in footy is pretty low (Box Hill, which has large numbers of first generation migrants) and an identity problem (they are named after a football ground no one has ever heard of, and don't play there anyway). I would expect that they would have trouble attracting enough sponsors or supporters to keep going at all, let alone generate the money to pay players.

One option I think is worth exploring is Eley Park merging with South Yarra SFNL. (For anyone not across SFNL, South Yarra play not that far away in North Balwyn and went 'into recess' mid way through the 2023 season). Combining and choosing a more relevant name (North Balwyn?) might give them more strength (better numbers) and a bit more local buy in (players, supporters, sponsors).
Good post. Likewise admire them for hanging on and fronting up each week but next year could be very, very tough. A merge and name change which creates a new suburban identity is solid idea. How long since they have played at the actual Eley Park (located in a different suburb) anyway? Would be years so the historical link probably means little to the current generation of players.

Hate to see clubs just fall over so a merge with BHN or South Yarra as suggested might be a good option.

Good post. Likewise admire them for hanging on and fronting up each week but next year could be very, very tough. A merge and name change which creates a new suburban identity is solid idea. How long since they have played at the actual Eley Park (located in a different suburb) anyway? Would be years so the historical link probably means little to the current generation of players.

Hate to see clubs just fall over so a merge with BHN or South Yarra as suggested might be a good option.
Why are you calling for a merge when 2 other teams in the competition had to forfeit their reserves this year. Did you see the amount of clearances come in this year ? Not many out this year.
Yes the results were less than ideal but the sides continued to play footy regardless of the opposition.

Why are you calling for a merge when 2 other teams in the competition had to forfeit their reserves this year. Did you see the amount of clearances come in this year ? Not many out this year.
Yes the results were less than ideal but the sides continued to play footy regardless of the opposition.
I’m not calling for a merge. I’m just suggesting it might be viable option for a club that went winless (I think) in seniors and reserves in D4 and who will be up against even stronger opposition next year.

I acknowledged EPs efforts in getting two teams on the park each week, which is better what some others achieved (including 2 Premier clubs) but it’s a tough environment out there. And its substantially tougher for a district club with no juniors, no feeder, no suburban identity, no recent success and in an area where AFL is not the preferred sport. To make matters worse they have many EFL clubs in fairly close proximity.

If they can exist and thrive with their current set up then that’s fantastic. But 2024 could be even more challenging for them and eventually that takes its toll.

I reckon they took over the tenancy from St Leo's-Wattle Park when the Animals left Whitehorse Reserve.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I reckon that Eley Park were playing at Whitehorse in the mid-2000s.
Where the hell is the real Eley Park? That is odd they are called that and don't have anything to do with it anymore.

When did the animals leave for Deakin Uni? With the new rooms there that move eventually paid dividends

BHN wouldn't want a merge after they have fielded 3rds and had both senior sides finish top 3, unless they absorbed them as a whole, maybe South Yarra is the go

Where the hell is the real Eley Park? That is odd they are called that and don't have anything to do with it anymore.

When did the animals leave for Deakin Uni? With the new rooms there that move eventually paid dividends

BHN wouldn't want a merge after they have fielded 3rds and had both senior sides finish top 3, unless they absorbed them as a whole, maybe South Yarra is the go

Eley park is in eley road blacky south. Possibly a tad small for senior footy but used for Blackburn juniors. Gets boggy af and rooms probably need a refresh

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Eley park is in eley road blacky south. Possibly a tad small for senior footy but used for Blackburn juniors. Gets boggy af and rooms probably need a refresh

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Actually surprised Eley Park did not play at Bennettswood Reserve with new facilities there but I see Canterbury played there last season.Is this 1 year only for Canterbury then they more back to Canterbury.Eley Parks current facilities next to Box Hill High School are sub stand and ground the same with all these junior games played on it by clubs like Vermont.

Actually surprised Eley Park did not play at Bennettswood Reserve with new facilities there but I see Canterbury played there last season.Is this 1 year only for Canterbury then they more back to Canterbury.Eley Parks current facilities next to Box Hill High School are sub stand and ground the same with all these junior games played on it by clubs like Vermont.
Wattle park used the Bennetswood ground as their base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like St Johns new coach is bringing a few Keysborough players across with him. They might actually be a chance in the Div 3/4 merge next year
I do hope he improves the culture of the club and removes players who are more interested in fighting

I do hope he improves the culture of the club and removes players who are more interested in fighting
Hopefully the new boys are willing to make the trip down the Monash for games closer to the city, especially with all these new clubs they'll have to face with the merge.

Hopefully the new boys are willing to make the trip down the Monash for games closer to the city, especially with all these new clubs they'll have to face with the merge.
They better start saving for petrol money... Should be pretty strong in D3 with this merge happening

391547216_812211347369187_4423715617775090405_n.jpg

If clubs like Masala and EP don't recruit well this offseason it might be rough for them next year. Hopefully they do!

St Johns look like they're ransacking Keysborough's list 😂. Club just posted that they have been robbed too, hope it doesn't set them back too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back