D4 Division 4 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be hard for some div4 clubs.
Box Hill would have had a flag in sights next year.. now have to face Canterbury and a few very good sides from D3 lol.

391547216_812211347369187_4423715617775090405_n.jpg

Why is Canterbury in this division? They are going to smoke everyone

If clubs like Masala and EP don't recruit well this offseason it might be rough for them next year. Hopefully they do!

St Johns look like they're ransacking Keysborough's list 😂. Club just posted that they have been robbed too, hope it doesn't set them back too much.
Could've saved themselves a few FB posts and just got keysborough to do it for them

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how common $$$ payments are in the VAFA? I know you're not allowed to as part of the rules, but surely it occurs under the table or via a loophole?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how common $$$ payments are in the VAFA? I know you're not allowed to as part of the rules, but surely it occurs under the table or via a loophole?

Rare to non-existent in my 20+ years in the VAFA (especially in the divisions).

They'd be more likely be scholarships/student discounts or jobs via sponsors and they would be more confined to the higher tiers for bigger name players. The divisional clubs are less likely to be able to arrange work or other contra deals.

I doubt any player would be getting cash payments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many years ago - before I became an official - I was club goal umpiring D3 ressies and over the fence heard a conversation between the opposition senior coach and a prospect. "Of course we won't pay you, but say your girlfriend wants that nice $600 jacket, let us know."

Just a data point.
Similar thing happened in a private school club where wife was paid to run the canteen. Hit the fan when she separated from him. VAFA found out.

Previous D3 club was alleged to give out a best on ground award - a 250 eftpos gift card.

Went to the same bloke every week funnily enough!

Previous D3 club was alleged to give out a best on ground award - a 250 eftpos gift card.

Went to the same bloke every week funnily enough!
They'd be more likely be scholarships/student discounts or jobs via sponsors and they would be more confined to the higher tiers for bigger name players. The divisional clubs are less likely to be able to arrange work or other contra deals.

Raffles are another way clubs make sure some players get cash. Cars either discounted or even given away are another, I reckon it happens a lot more than people think.

Playing assistants can't be paid under vafa rules yes? There's no way they doing it for free either way!

Let me get this. A player who is say 25 is seduced to come to play for an APS school with a scholarship. How many players have kids? We have 3. Only one plays seniors and recruitEd this year. His child is 8 months old. By the time he retires, the child will be 2-3. He then needs to wait a minimum of anothper 3 years to claim on the scholarship, most likely 6 years to claim on the p, meanwhile he has been retired for 3 to 5 years. I don’t think so.

Raffles are another way clubs make sure some players get cash. Cars either discounted or even given away are another, I reckon it happens a lot more than people think.

Playing assistants can't be paid under vafa rules yes? There's no way they doing it for free either way!
I think clubs use a small buisness, you’ll find a lot of good sides have players working for the same buisness and the company will put more money in their bonuses type thing, I know this occurs frequently.

The best one I heard was a player was asked to collect an Esky from someone's back verandah.

Inside was ten grand in cash and a note saying "This will help fill your new Esky!".
Small chips indeed,gents! I know of an F grade player back in the early 70's who was paid $130 a game by a president so he wouldn't be tempted by outside offers of 80-100!

Let me get this. A player who is say 25 is seduced to come to play for an APS school with a scholarship. How many players have kids? We have 3. Only one plays seniors and recruitEd this year. His child is 8 months old. By the time he retires, the child will be 2-3. He then needs to wait a minimum of anothper 3 years to claim on the scholarship, most likely 6 years to claim on the p, meanwhile he has been retired for 3 to 5 years. I don’t think so.

The scenario I referred to would be more directed at the ex-AFL player in his 30s than a mid-20s player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back