Dixon an elite ruckman?

Remove this Banner Ad

Elite is too strong a word, but a capable first ruck? Yeah I can see it.

He's no longer a good option forward, and our forward line is gelling really well without him, even better with Fivelayson in there.

If we aren't playing Hayes, let Dix take on main rucking duties and throw his weight around in the centre square and let Fin, Todd and MG do their thing up forward.

If we actually commit to this it would allow us to regain the structure that was working well.

Dixon would be the best ruck on our list if his body were cut out for it and he previously hadn't been needed as a forward.
More agile (and strong) than Lycett, stronger in the contest than Finlayson (and not bad in the follow up).

Personally I think he's close enough to the end we shouldnt be building our forward line around him which rules that part of it out.

Didn't Dixon only agree to come here after being promised that he wouldn't be used as a ruckman?
sub-buzz-20592-1478778553-11.jpg

I want him in the forward line because his presence makes more space for Marshall, Finlayson and Georgiades. This is how you manage an aging key forward, they command a good defender and slowly relinquish the load to the up and comers.

"I actually think Charlie could be an elite ruckman" Ken Hinkley.

Sorry I don't see it.

And I don't think Ken sees it either given he had preferred to play Lycett, Finlayson, Hayes and even SPP in the ruck to Dixon this year alone.
based on his last quarter.. yes

based on the previous 3.. no

I want him in the forward line because his presence makes more space for Marshall, Finlayson and Georgiades. This is how you manage an aging key forward, they command a good defender and slowly relinquish the load to the up and comers.
Does this really happen though?

It feels like something that should happen, but doesn't actually happen at Port because they just revert to all spoiling each other. I think they are finding more space when he isn't there.

Does this really happen though?

It feels like something that should happen, but doesn't actually happen at Port because they just revert to all spoiling each other. I think they are finding more space when he isn't there.

I think it does overall, marginally, but not nearly as much as it should.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Dixon is a good ruckman. He's now at a stge in his career where us as a club putting him in cotton wool because we need him to play CHF for the next 5 years are over. He's 2 metres tall and 110kgs. He's intimidating, he has good skills. We actually have decent tall forwards now. Marshall, Georgie, Finlayson, Lord. We would not be robbing Peter to pay Paul. I think Dixon could do a lot more rucking than he has in the past. A new coach should try to squeeze that out of him.

The full context of the comment from Hinkers is that he's not surprised he did OK in ruck because he thinks if we hadn't developed him as an AA forward that he could've been an elite ruckman instead.

Last edited:
Interesting comments by Ken.Lycett fit to play next week.When he was drafted by West Coast it was a key forward.His first season playing for East Perth was as a full forward.
So Lycett forward,FF.Marshall CHF.Georgiades HFF or forward pocket.Lycett doing the ruck work forward and when Charlie's on the bench . Finlayson then SPP can go back on the ball as a midfielder.

Last edited:
"I actually think Charlie could be an elite ruckman" Ken Hinkley.

Sorry I don't see it.

And I don't think Ken sees it either given he had preferred to play Lycett, Finlayson, Hayes and even SPP in the ruck to Dixon this year alone.

I said it near the start of the season.
Capable, good follow ups etc.

Keeps the forward line clear of him most of the time too, better than using SPP or a Brownlow medallist midfielder ffs!

By Hinkley's priorities for a ruck (being strong, tackling, running fast, ???) Dixon is the best ruck on our list. When it comes to actual ruckwork, positioning around the ground etc he's not great but I can see Ken's point. It's just that Ken doesn't believe hitting to ball to your midfielders is a worthwhile skill for a ruckman and actually seems kind of against it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back