DJ Avicii RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad news.

Last week, Kendrick Lamar won a Pulitzer Prize, showing hip-hop like Lamar's has both commercial and critical appeal.

He can score a US number one, sure, but he can also win accolades for illustrating the complexity of African-American life.

EDM, or dance music, does not generally garner much praise from the mainstream music press. It is seen as too shiny, over-produced, lacking in depth.

Instead, it achieves something just as interesting, and perhaps more real — mass appeal, the kind that comes from being able to bring out the physicality in an audience.

That is where the significance of an artist like Tim Bergling, the Swedish producer and DJ known as Avicii who has died at the age of 28, starts to become clear.
Like his European contemporaries David Guetta, or Americans Diplo and Skrillex, Avicii had the power to move, invigorate and send into a kind primordial trance great swathes of people. (FYI: not everyone who likes dance music takes drugs.)

Why you are seeing so many people expressing grief over the loss of a Swedish DJ has to do with the physical response this kind of music invokes.

Dance music demands movement. It demands endorphins, euphoria, the natural high. And it generally does it at large, whether at huge festivals like Ultra in Miami, or in clubs in cities around the world.

Avicii, who pushed the boundaries of the genre through his collaborations, also had the ability to bring many different kinds of music fans together.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-21/aviciis-charm-was-all-about-getting-physical/9684014

He once said "I can't imagine going a day without alcohol".

Rest easy, your fight is over.

"These are the days we will never forget"

He didn’t mean much to me personally. He made some good music that I listened to in school around 2012-13 before moving on from his work but I just feel really down when I think of the news. Such a vibrant DJ who was one of the biggest names in music 5 years ago is already gone at the age of 28. One of the strangest celebrity deaths I’ve seen.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Avicii's family has issued a new statement which says he "could not go on any longer".

The body of the Swedish DJ, whose real name is Tim Bergling, was found at a hotel in Oman last week.

His family added that the 28-year-old was "an over-achieving perfectionist who travelled and worked hard at a pace that led to extreme stress".

A spokesperson for the artist declined to confirm whether he had killed himself.

The police in Oman say they've ruled out "criminal suspicions".

Full article
http://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-43909205

Just finished watching a netflix doco on him on & it’s only now that you really get an understanding of the gravity of torture this poor soul went through just to get himself up on to the decks to perform.

A case of someone not built to deal with the hype & expectation of being an international hit so quickly at such a young age.

Fortunately got to see the great man perform in Vegas in 13’ & is to this day the best live musical act I’ve been to

RIP

Watched the doco, the combination of doing all those gigs, the anxiety, the health issues, would of driven this bloke insane

God he was a talent though so many hits that u just completely forget about

Remove this Banner Ad

Back