Current DNA finds "Le Grêlé" (The Pockmarked) One of France’s most notorious child killers was a police officer

Remove this Banner Ad

I've gone back and replaced the Reddit link with the title of the Reddit thread only.
And warned readers of this thread about the validity of the rest of the info in that Reddit thread, based on your advice.
Thx.
Suggest you follow suite with removing the Reddit link from your quote of my post :)
Merci.
Au revoir.
Done.

And lastly I will posit here that back in the 90's there was a poor Australian girl who was murdered in Paris and dumped in a sleeping bag in the banlieue. This murder as far as I know has never been solved. A bientot.(see you later) [/QUOTE]

With a bit of googling I have found the murder that I remembered it was New Years Eve in Paris 2001, Jeannette O'Keefe, 28, from Melbourne.
It was solved. By DNA once the French got going on the DNA data base which was 2005-06 they solved it. He was sentenced to 30 years.

Last edited:
The French investigators also see that there is a 3 year gap between his last known murder and the date he wwrote in his suicide note:

I've tried the translation, it's not great but not as hilariously bad as Chinese translations.

Wanted for 35 years, François Vérove was identified as "Le Grêlé", a serial killer raging in the 80s and 90s in the Paris region. A former gendarme, he was identified by DNA comparison and is suspected of having committed three murders and two rapes. Age 59, the former soldier killed himself on the night of Tuesday to Wednesday, cornered by the instruction, who suspecting a former member of the police, had summoned 750 gendarmes stationed at the time of the facts.

But, if François Vérove is dead, the investigation continues. Indeed, the DNA of the man has been found at several crime scenes. He is thus strongly suspected of having committed three murders and two rapes. In 1986, he allegedly raped and killed Cécile, an 11-year-old girl, found dead in the basement of her building in Paris. He is also suspected of having strangled a couple, still in the capital.

We may be able to achieve other things "- Christian Flaesch, former director of the judicial police
To retrace 35 years of criminal history, searches were carried out at his home, his relative questioned. The judicial police "will therefore start from the course of the identity that we know of this person who has families, an environment of which we know a certain number of points" , explains Christian Flaesch, former director of the Paris judicial police and commissioner in the criminal brigade from 1983 to 1988 . "We will be able to do research on his bank account, his digital data and perhaps lead to other things," he adds.

Because, if in these cases, the DNA of François Vérove was found, other clues, such as his modus operandi, cast doubt on other murders and unsolved rapes. Like Karine L. was killed in 1994 in Meaux, when she was 19 years old. At the time, investigators were convinced they were dealing with a former police officer or gendarme.

"He presents himself as a gendarme or policeman saying 'you are following me, you have broken the law' , so that's the first clue. The second clue is that he's behaving like someone There is also the way in which he ties up his victims , which are reminiscent of techniques that one learns in the armed forces, of security ", summarizes Me Didier Seban, lawyer of victims of" Hail ".

Towards the discovery of "cold cases"?
Other "cold cases" could be attributed to the serial killer. In his letter of confession , written before he committed suicide, the former gendarme claims to have committed no more crimes from 1997, when the last murder attributed to him took place in 1994.

Before committing suicide, "Le Grêlé" left a letter in which he confessed his crimes. A killer with a confusing and complex profile for experts.
Posted on October 2, 2021 at 4:03 am, updated on October 2, 2021 at 7:50 am

A city councilor serial killer. In these photos
(group photo above), François Vérove appears with other candidates on the same list. We are in 2014, he lives in the town of Prades-le-Lez, north of Montpellier, in this architect's house, built on the heights of the village.

We found the one who was then mayor of the town and who had welcomed the ex-gendarme into his team. He currently says he is bewildered. François Vérove will therefore have blurred all tracks for 35 years. Initially, he was a gendarme then became a police officer. In the 80s, he was particularly suspected of the murder of little Cécile Bloch, 11, killed in the basement of her Parisian building, raped and stabbed.

In total, investigators evoke five crimes. In the mid-90s, François Vérove then changed his behavior. This policeman was his union official. He saw each other every week. He was transferred to another post, then headed for the South of France. A new life, until settling in La Grande-Motte where he lived in recent years in this district. Her neighbor still doesn't realize. François Vérove was 59 years old. married, he was the father of two children.

An Update:
"Investigators in charge of unresolved cases believe that he could in fact have killed at least 28 victims between 1984 and 1994."

If you speak French then you can watch this latest program:

The wheels of justice turn slowly in France but they keep turning;

Last edited:
"At the time of writing these lines, Judge Nathalie Turquey and the criminal squad are looking into 31 facts , including 9 homicides; committed between 1983 and 1994. This would make François Vérove one of the worst French serial killers”."

"At the time of writing these lines, Judge Nathalie Turquey and the criminal squad are looking into 31 facts , including 9 homicides; committed between 1983 and 1994. This would make François Vérove one of the worst French serial killers”."

He might be dead but I do hope the unsolved homicides are resolved with some answers for the families. I'm also hoping someone does an english pod on this, I have some French but I'd struggle.

If anyone else is interested the following has the background of F. Verove; Use google translate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit like how the Claremont SK case this case was for decades here in Oz this case has obsessed France for more than 40 years and as they are still trying to figure out how many people PV killed as he admits in his last letter to his wife that he didnt stop until 1997 and that he was a policeman who got away with it.
There are many, many crimes that he committed over a 30 year + period but the authorities are still trying to figure out how many murders he possibly committed.
In this TV show they talk about possibly 15 murders that he is linked to and that he was also obsessed with researching anything to do with 'Le Grêlé' on the net as his computer history shows that he obsessively searched all of the time.

I know a high-up inspector in France. I asked him about this earlier in the year when I found out about it. He said it was the first he'd heard of it. Not sure how much press it has had in France.

I know a high-up inspector in France. I asked him about this earlier in the year when I found out about it. He said it was the first he'd heard of it. Not sure how much press it has had in France.
It has been huge in France. There's something like 4 books in the works, countless TV proigrams the whole nine yards. This person you know must live in a very sheltered world if he knew nothing about it or maybe he doesn't want to know about it. The death of Celia Bloch was the most famous unsolved case in France for decades, it would be the equivilent of solving the Beaumont disappearences here.

It has been huge in France. There's something like 4 books in the works, countless TV proigrams the whole nine yards. This person you know must live in a very sheltered world if he knew nothing about it or maybe he doesn't want to know about it. The death of Celia Bloch was the most famous unsolved case in France for decades, it would be the equivilent of solving the Beaumont disappearences here.
I think it has more to do with the fact the murders were somewhat random in nature.

I think it has more to do with the fact the murders were somewhat random in nature.
Yes, but they weren't random at all. He was a predator who went after females from the age of 6 up to 50. He either staked out appartment buildings, followed school girls home, kidnapped young women off the street, also used the small public ads for selling furniture and the like to attack women in their homes and one particular double murder of a man and a german young au-pair was directly personal as he had dated the au-pair. I think the police played down the unsolved murders for a very long time. There were the rumours that a policeman was involved early on and if it wasn't for Celia Bloch's father and the brother never letting her unsolved murder rest, the police would have let it all slide.

the above article should translate with google once opened.
It talks about his modus-operandi with aproaching you girls/women as a 'fake' policeman.

Two Years on the French Investigators are still grinding through the investigation of the life of FV this is the lastest podcast on that investigation.

"During 1998, François Vérove reveals that he was raped by his own father, when he was only 10 years old and had just lost his mother.
Here is one of the revelations made during the excellent program L'Heure du Crime on RTL by the no less excellent Patricia Tourancheau !
Finally, some elements of the investigation carried out following the suicide of François Vérove reach us!"

Podcast; (In French)

And so it goes, the first book about 'Le Grele :The Muderer was a Policeman' by Patricia Tourancheau and from that the 4 part series on TV.

The TV interview with the writer in the article, below to summerised:
*intro the most famous unsolved case in France for 35 years.
* Summation of the history of crime, change and differences of modus opperandi, DNA traces that were left, that in 1987 the Police came up with nothing. how the brother of Cecile Bloch saw le Grele on the stairs and noticed how marked his face was and thus why he was called 'the hail'.
*That the suicide note to his wife saying he stopped in 1997 when the police have him commiting crimes till 1993 and it is still a mystery as to what further crimes he was refering to.
*That he acted totally normally with the family when he had been contacted by the Police for the DNA test and they had no idea that anything was different.
*That he was the perfect husband, father and citizen and the duplicity was incredible.
* That the brither of Cecille Bloch was absolutely dogged in keeping the case open and that it was down to him that it was eventually solved because of his insistance in pursuing DNA developements applied to the case.
*That this has revolutionised how the French Police are dealing withn cold cases and pursuing the resolutions of the cold case backlog now and a DNA database.
* The rise in interest of the public in true crime and the solving of and her personal interest in following this crime.

He is the third serial killer, to have appeared openly on a TV in a show, just like Bundy (Perfect Match show) and the other one in England (Darts comp show) who's name I have forgotten (Maybe the brains trust Kurve can remember who I am thinking of here?).
Is this a thing? That they tempt fate of being recognaised or delight in openly taunting fate? 3 Serial killers 3 different countries!

"In 2021, François Vérove, police officer and father, committed suicide. In a letter, he admits to being “Le Grêlé” , author of rape and murder in the 90s. Among his victims , Cécile Bloch, 11 years old, Ingrid G., 11 years old, and a Parisian couple. He had been wanted by the police for all his years, with the rare clue of his scarred face, which earned him his nickname.
As incredible as it may seem, the serial killer appeared openly in 2019 in the show “Everybody wants to take their place”, on France 2, presented by Nagui, reveals Marianne . Presented as a former gendarme of the Republican Guard, he recounts his work and his rounds in the Bois de Boulogne. A beard hides what could be possible marks." La Voix Du Nord

Remove this Banner Ad

Back