Do any photos or videos from the 1990 exhibition match between Geelong and Port exist?

Jack Foster

Team Captain
Dec 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There is only one!
We were missing Obst and Delaney from our premiership team that flogged North.

It was the first time I saw Gav play and thought this kid moves ok.

Port 2004

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2012
Bellevue Heighta
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Trust the 1990 edition of the Magpie News I copied that out of - oh and it tallies with my memory of the game. ;)

Played at Footy Park in front of around 35,000 AFL-hungry spectators. But oh no said the visionaries at the SANFL, we're happy solely with the product in our backyard and don't want anything to do with that nasty national competition.
"And as long as the new team is not Port, all will be well".

SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
No. I have faith in my friend. these years are sent to try us, but we will prevail.
I'll just leave this here to help familiarise with the surroundings.
Remember the happy place will be waiting with half price membership too!
Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 8.29.18 pm.png

It's a historic game. I'd love to read an insiders account of the whole 1990 saga and I bet this game would have gelled some thinking around the boardroom.

It would have been a pretty reasonable specatacle as well. That was a pretty massive Geelong team in that era.....
Jim Dixon not sure if you are still around but your line above was quoted by Norman Ashton in his new book Destiny - How Port Adelaide put itself on the national stage.

On page 1 of Chapter 1 Introductory - he writes;
Much of course has been written about those years and the lead up to them. But much has yet to be revealed/disclosed. As stated on the bigfooty.com website - 'I'd love to read an insiders account of the whole 1990 saga.' Although not an insider the author of this book has been provided with access to documents not previously made available - and has had input from more than 60 persons - many of whom were insiders.

So Dr Ashton has been reading the Port Bigfooty board if not since this post in mid 2014, he researched it for awhile before he wrote the introduction to book in November 2017 (as stated on page 6).

As I wrote in the Destiny thread, John Firth told me mid November 2017 he had just finished proof reading it for legal issues. Not sure why it took another 12 months before Wakefield Press released it.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i went looking for this game but dont have it unfortunately

i do however have DVD images of these
1981 - Port Adelaide vs Richmond (Trial Game) - 50 mins most of second half (i could only find 15 mins of footage on youtube)
1985 - Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn (Fosters Cup) - FULL GAME (i could only find 15 mins of footage on youtube
1993 - Port Adelaide vs Collingwood (Trial Game) - FULL GAME (i could only find 15 mins of footage on youtube)

some great old footage

Last edited:

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi

I am trying to find a game which was aired live into Adelaide and I believe it was Port's first ever AFL game.

Does anywhere in here have this game on tape?
I am happy to pay and convert if anyone does have it.

I too would be super keen on getting this game if someone hit the record button at the time and kept it.

Pretty sure it wasn’t televised. I remember hearing updates on the radio, with the only footage being filmed for the nightly news report.

Back