Do clubs have different body type preferences?

Remove this Banner Ad

GEEitLONG

Debutant
Feb 27, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Having a yarn the other day with the owner of a gym in our town in QLD. He has been a Richmond supporter all his life (cut him some slack) and has owned and operated his own gym for 25 years. I believe he is a 'conscientious observer' as body types etc are his 'business'.

We spoke about the GC Suns woes, and Brisbane's rise. He made the observation Suns seem to go for leaner type athletes whereas the Lions recently look to have gone for bulkier types. He noted West Coast as an example of a club picking athletes that look like 'footballers' with a body type that wouldn't look out of place on the Rugby League field.

Suns have had a LOT of injury troubles since coming into the comp. We were wondering if heavier body types like the WC seem to go for (and the Lions now seem to favour) is a trend?

Collingwood also seem to have gone for 'thicker' sorts of players in recent years? Fair comment?

What do you people here recon?

Actually, it was ol mates observation that the WC boys look like 'footballers' (solid, muscular, legs and torso.) And I agree wit him. When you look at GC selections and team they look more like tall soccer players. There is an obvious difference of body type.

Actually, it was ol mates observation that the WC boys look like 'footballers' (solid, muscular, legs and torso.) And I agree wit him. When you look at GC selections and team they look more like tall soccer players. There is an obvious difference of body type.

Over the years maybe, stereotyping to apply it to the current group IMHO.
An example of stereotyping of mine, is the Bulldogs: great little blokes, though too many short fat hairy legs, not enough big blokes, since Scotty Wynd, can only think of Chris Grant & Darcy. No offence Dogs fan, I do remember getting stitched up at Subi in 2016.
You could examine Geelong under Scott n your own back yard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back