Do essendon deserve the number 1 draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Google say the 2010 doping rules. Quite clearly extended to staff.

While the code applies to club officials (section 3) the "use" rules only applies to players and still does

2010 code - 11.1 The presence of a Prohibited Substance or its Metabolites or Markers in a Player's Sample.
and 11.2 Use or Attempted Use by a Player of a Prohibited Substance or a Prohibited Method

2015 code -10.2 Presence of a Prohibited Substance or its Metabolites or Markers in a Player's Sample and 10.3 Use or Attempted Use by a Player of a Prohibited Substance or a Prohibited Method.

Coaches are only subject to possession. 11.6(b) 2010 and 10.8(b) 2015
Possession by an Athlete Support Person In-Competition of any Prohibited Method or any Prohibited Substance, or Possession by an Athlete Support Person Out-of-Competition of any Prohibited Method or any Prohibited Substance which is prohibited Out-of-Competition in connection with a Player, AFL Competition or training, unless the Athlete Support Person establishes that the Possession is pursuant to a TUE granted to a Player in accordance with Clause 10 (*9 in 2015 code) (Therapeutic Use) or other acceptable justification

So from a coach perspective they can use, just cant possess under the AFL anti doping code and this has not changed since 2010.

Ah, an ageist I see.
No.

I'd just worry about someone over the age of 14 seeing any relevance between whom a person follows in the footy, and their ability to make comment and/or form an opinion about the biggest issue ever to face Australian sport. I can't see any relevance whatsoever.

A kid seeing the world through such narrow minded and blinkered views, would be excusable. Just. But anyone older than 14 should be genuinely concerned about their mental aptitude if they think there is some relevance.

Blame the AFL for punishing us too early if you want.

We have already copped our whack.

Absolutely no reason why we shouldn't get the #1 pick. Not so sure why many of you even give a s**t since our roster is apparently so shitty.

Absolutely no reason why we shouldn't get the #1 pick. Not so sure why many of you even give a s**t since our roster is apparently so shitty.
It is overrated imo

Not sure why you get the #1 draft pick when you wouldn't get it any other year. Everybody wants a #1 draft pick, but because Essendon cheated they get it over teams that need it more

Of course I blame the AFL. Who else is there to blame??

The AFL has stage managed the entire farce to ensure Essendon get off as lightly as possible and the financial impact to the game is as minimal as possible.

I mean fair dinkum:

- "We would love every player to stay at Essendon because we do want them to be strong next year," McLachlin said

- McLachlan said the league wanted to help rebuild Essendon into being one of the competition’s best clubs, and said they needed to “move forward together”.

- AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said last night he hoped ASADA would not appeal the historic tribunal decision that cleared the “Essendon 34” of doping charges.

- "We need Essendon to be strong and playing well and winning games," McLachlan said on his weekly slot on 3AW.

Seriously. How a club can dope and cheat on that scale, get found guilty yet be the first in line to be bailed out so quickly by the AFL is just so completely laughable it really isn't funny.

Of course I blame the AFL. They didn't let Essendon off so lightly for a laugh. It was no mistake or accident that they overlooked the fact that they'd have a year off to get walloped each week then welcome back most of their list and get the No. 1 draft pick for their troubles.

Pretty simple to understand

Penalty
Lose draft picks
Massive fine
Kicked out of finals
Players suspended
Penalty Ends

Results

Following year Essendon finish last
Pick 1 in draft
Pick 1 in PSD
Easier draw
Welcome back all the players, and even get picks for the one or 2 who leave.

Last edited:

Penalty
Lose draft picks
Massive fine
Kicked out of finals
Players suspended
Penalty Ends

Results

Pick 1 in draft
Draft pick loss, but you get #1 2 years later

Suspension? Yeah really hurt the guys. Getting paid for cheating so they can holiday. Tough times indeed. Mind you, didn't come out of the salary cap

Penalty
Lose draft picks
Massive fine
Kicked out of finals
Players suspended
Penalty Ends

Results

Pick 1 in draft

Very simple to understand.

What's difficult to understand though, is how a club can cheat on such an enormous scale which results in the biggest scandal ever in Australian sport - yet get more assistance in becoming 'powerful again as soon as possible' than other clubs that made poor decisions (but honest and legitimate ones) and have found themselves down the bottom for 4-5 year as a result.

That is puzzling.

On face value, it's a far better strategy to cheat and drag the the entire comp through the mud for 4 years than it is to attempt to play within the rules.

The former ensures that the AFL will get you back to being 'strong' within a year, the latter leaves you on your own until you work yourself out of it.

Very simple to understand.

What's difficult to understand though, is how a club can cheat on such an enormous scale which results in the biggest scandal ever in Australian sport - yet get more assistance in becoming 'powerful again as soon as possible' than other clubs that made poor decisions (but honest and legitimate ones) and have found themselves down the bottom for 4-5 year as a result.

That is puzzling.

On face value, it's a far better strategy to cheat and drag the the entire comp through the mud for 4 years than it is to attempt to play within the rules.

The former ensures that the AFL will get you back to being 'strong' within a year, the latter leaves you on your own until you work yourself out of it.

Getting our players back + Pick 1 & 19 + PSD pick 1 if needed + easier draw, what a nice way to welcome the 2017 season.
Do we deserve all this, NO but will will happily take it:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess he just wanted the rules to apply as they do to all other clubs.

That's what so outrageous about this.

Ring WADA and protest then, they allowed the players to be paid.
You poor things, sound like you guys are going through a very hard time knowing Essendon will still have a decent team.

Of course I blame the AFL. Who else is there to blame??

The AFL has stage managed the entire farce to ensure Essendon get off as lightly as possible and the financial impact to the game is as minimal as possible.

I mean fair dinkum:

- "We would love every player to stay at Essendon because we do want them to be strong next year," McLachlin said

- McLachlan said the league wanted to help rebuild Essendon into being one of the competition’s best clubs, and said they needed to “move forward together”.

- AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said last night he hoped ASADA would not appeal the historic tribunal decision that cleared the “Essendon 34” of doping charges.

- "We need Essendon to be strong and playing well and winning games," McLachlan said on his weekly slot on 3AW.

Seriously. How a club can dope and cheat on that scale, get found guilty yet be the first in line to be bailed out so quickly by the AFL is just so completely laughable it really isn't funny.

Of course I blame the AFL. They didn't let Essendon off so lightly for a laugh. It was no mistake or accident that they overlooked the fact that they'd have a year off to get walloped each week then welcome back most of their list and get the No. 1 draft pick for their troubles.

AFL shouldn't have punished Essendon until the ruling came out, regardless of how dodgy and lack of evidence the ruling had.

Regardless we have been punished enough.

Get over it.

It is overrated imo

Not sure why you get the #1 draft pick when you wouldn't get it any other year. Everybody wants a #1 draft pick, but because Essendon cheated they get it over teams that need it more

Fair trade for the Picks we lost in 2013.

Give us the picks back we lost in 2013 and you can have your shitty #1 pick.

Getting our players back + Pick 1 & 19 + PSD pick 1 if needed + easier draw, what a nice way to welcome the 2017 season.
Do we deserve all this, NO but will will happily take it:)

Pathetic troll is pathetic. Sad thing is you probably believe every word and see nothing wrong with that .....

I'm keen to see next years draw, I think the afl will give us a very good draw .
They seem very keen to get Ess up the ladder quickly for some reason?

I'm keen to see next years draw, I think the afl will give us a very good draw .
They seem very keen to get Ess up the ladder quickly for some reason?

Going to get a friendly draw from just being in the bottom 6, along with Richmond and Carlton. With Collingwood just outside the bottom 6, and Nth Melbourne going into a rebuild quite a few currently softer teams they can double you up on to follow their rules regarding the draw. I.e bottom 6 more likely to play other bottom 6 teams twice, and maximise blockbusters.
Doubt you be playing some of the teams that showed promise this year twice, like the Saints and Melbourne...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back