Do Geelong have the best home ground advantage in the AFL?

GMHBA fixturing is a…

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's why Cats supporters came to other Friday night finals, including the year after, but not the Tigers one.

Not quite, I was at the 2018 and 2019 finals too, and both the crowds were roughly 75-25 in favour of Melbourne and Collingwood. 2018 there's not too much to argue about given it was our away game (we finished 8th, played 5th placed Melbourne) but 2019 had a similar feel to 2017, playing a big opponent on their home ground in a timeslot that's not feasible for many Geelong supporters to attend

You know what it is.
Tigers coming good and all their supporters coming out of the woodwork to fill the G.

It's why Cats supporters came to other Friday night finals, including the year after, but not the Tigers one.
Sounds like you've got it all figured out, apart from it being a massive load of crock. :drunk:

Cats performances at the G seem correlated to their attitude towards playing there
2017 QF, sooking for two weeks, got smashed
SF, didn’t hear much, they smoked the swans who were more highly fancied

2018 EF the exception, outperformed but no complaints as it was away anyway

2019 QF, sooked for two weeks again, scoreboard flattered them as they lost again
SF again didn’t hear much, beat WC who were favoured
PF, no problems, at half time looked like the upset of the season before getting overrun, a very respectable performance.

In H&A games, last 3 seasons they have a 2-4 record in home games at the MCG. In away games at the MCG, it’s 7-4.

Its not the ground as much as it is the attitude. It certainly wasn’t a problem when they were winning flags.

I will never understand the whole GMHBA stadium debate.
In many ways the same.

Geelong are in an absolute win-win situation here.
They get to play 9 games in the hardest to win (opposition) venue in the country, odd shaped and when that SW wind blows... Means that if they have a half decent team they will book 7-9 wins guaranteed, almost assuring finals before we even start.
They then have to travel an hour up the road to the MCG for an extra couple of bonus practice games on the GF venue. While still banking the gate.

I'm pretty sure that if the GF venue was an hour outside of Perth (or Adelaide etc.) the two teams based in that city would jump at a deal like that.

In many ways the same.

They get to play 9 games in the hardest to win (opposition) venue in the country, odd shaped and when that SW wind blows... Means that if they have a half decent team they will book 7-9 wins guaranteed, almost assuring finals before we even start.
They then have to travel an hour up the road to the MCG for an extra couple of bonus practice games on the GF venue. While still banking the gate.

I'm pretty sure that if the GF venue was an hour outside of Perth (or Adelaide etc.) the two teams based in that city would jump at a deal like that.
hit the nail on the head

If we are using the 'hold the game where most people can attend', why are Hawks allowed to play home games in Tassie? Surely more than 10k fans want to see them play each week
Hawks are well within their right to play home games wherever they chose. They can play them on the moon for all I care. That's why I find it funny that the teams who have historically or current sold games interstate (Hawks, Tigers) are the most vocal about forcing Geelong to move games to locations that benefit them.

And for the record, I don't believe more than 10k people would chose to watch the hawks week in week out ;) . They sell pets memberships for a reason.

In many ways the same.

So by that logic, if Geelong want to play 11 games in Geelong instead of 9, why should the AFL or other clubs opposite it?

Cats performances at the G seem correlated to their attitude towards playing there
2017 QF, sooking for two weeks, got smashed
SF, didn’t hear much, they smoked the swans who were more highly fancied

2018 EF the exception, outperformed but no complaints as it was away anyway

2019 QF, sooked for two weeks again, scoreboard flattered them as they lost again
SF again didn’t hear much, beat WC who were favoured
PF, no problems, at half time looked like the upset of the season before getting overrun, a very respectable performance.

In H&A games, last 3 seasons they have a 2-4 record in home games at the MCG. In away games at the MCG, it’s 7-4.

Its not the ground as much as it is the attitude. It certainly wasn’t a problem when they were winning flags.
Check out who they played in those matches they won/lost...

2017 - Richmond (Lost)
2018 - Melbourne (Lost)
2019 - Collingwood (Won), West Coast (Won), Richmond (Lost)

They are 1:3 against home teams (Rich, Coll, Melb) and 1:0 v away teams (WC)

And who said home ground advantage doesn't mean much

Check out who they played in those matches they won/lost...

2017 - Richmond (Lost)
2018 - Melbourne (Lost)
2019 - Collingwood (Won), West Coast (Won), Richmond (Lost)

They are 1:3 against home teams (Rich, Coll, Melb) and 1:0 v away teams (WC)

And who said home ground advantage doesn't mean much
Also consider the quality of the performance - they had a great performance vs Richmond in the PF last year. Compared to their performances against Collingwood in that QF and Richmond in 2017 it was streets ahead.

Geelong Home Game Performance (2000 to 2019) A Brutal Analysis:

2019: 9 x Games for 8 x Wins, 1 x Loss (GWS 4 Pts) Finals Tick.
2018: 9 x Games for 8 x Wins, 1 x Loss (Syd 17 Pts) Finals Tick.
2017: 7 x Games for 6 x Wins, 1 x Loss (Syd 46 Pts) Finals Tick.
2016: 8 x Games for 7 x Wins, 1 x Loss (Syd 38 Pts) Finals Tick.
2015: 8 x Games for 5 x Wins, 3 x Losses (Freo 44 Pts, Nth 16 Pts, Melb 24 Pts) No Finals.
2014: 7 x Games for 7 x Wins, Finals Tick.
2013: 8 x Games for 7 x Wins, 1 x Loss (Freo 15 Pts) Finals Tick.
2012: 7 x Games for 7 x Wins, Finals Tick.
2011: 7 x Games for 6 x Wins, 1 x Loss (Syd 13 Pts) Finals Tick (Premier).
2010: 7 x Games for 7 x Wins, Finals Tick.

2009: 8 x Games for 8 x Wins, Finals Tick (Premier).
2008: 8 x Games for 8 x Wins, Finals Tick.
2007: 8 x Games for 6 x Wins, 2 x Losses (Nth 16 Pts, Port 5 Pts) Finals Tick (Premier).
2006: 8 x Games for 4 x Wins, 1 x Draw, 3 x Losses (Melb D, Haw 52 Pts, Rich 20 Pts, WC 3 Pts) No Finals.
2005: 8 x Games for 6 x Wins, 2 x Losses (Freo 9 Pts, Melb 1 Pt) Finals Tick.
2004: 8 x Games for 8 x Wins, Finals Tick.
2003: 8 x Games for 3 x Wins, 1 x Draw, 4 x Losses (WC D, Nth 23 Pts, Bris 14 Pts, Adel 17 Pts, WB 18Pts) No Finals.
2002: 8 x Games for 4 x Wins, 4 x Losses (WB 12 Pts, Adel 3 Pts, Nth 64 Pts, Bris 55 Pts) No Finals.
2001: 7 x Games for 3 x Wins, 4 x Losses ( Nth 20 Pts, Port 46 Pts, WB 7 Pts, Bris 43 Pts) No Finals.
2000: 7 x Games for 6 x Wins, 1 x Loss (Bris 69 Pts) Finals Tick.

So in short since the year 2000:
155 x Games
29 x Losses
2 x Draws
124 x Wins

During the 15 x years of finals:
11 x Losses

Teams success at (The Narrows or Percentage Park):
North Melbourne: 5 x Times, 1 x Finals, 4 x Non Finals.
Sydney: 4 x Times, 4 x Finals (Genuine Bogey Side).
Brisbane: 4 x Times, 1 x Finals, 3 x Non Finals.
Fremantle: 3 x Times, 2 x Finals, 1 x Non Finals (Genuine Bogey Side).
Western Bulldogs: 3 x Times, 3 x Non Finals.
Melbourne: 2 x Times, 1 x Draw, 1 x Finals, 2 x Non Finals.
Port Adelaide: 2 x Times, 1 x Finals, 1 x Non Finals.
Adelaide: 2 x Times, 2 x Non Finals.
GWS Giants: 1 x Time, 1 x Finals.
Hawthorn: 1 x Time, 1 x Non Finals.
Richmond: 1 x Time, 1 x Non Finals.
West Coast: 1 x Time, 1 x Draw Non Finals.

There it is Undertaker the (Stats and Facts) needed to give this thread a bit of Old School
and Snake Eyes (Hokey Moves) and win another belt for the dead man.

Geelong have 11 home games each year

So by that logic, if Geelong want to play 11 games in Geelong instead of 9, why should the AFL or other clubs opposite it?
I think it really comes down to finals rather than H&A games.
The ultimate aim is to play qualifying and prelim finals at unwinnable park. But you cannot mount a very good argument for home finals in Geelong if you are happy to play home games at the MCG. So you complain about the 2 home G games (which you really like) in an attempt to get what you really want, other finals in Geelong.
The perfect but impossible result for Geelong would be 2 home games at the G to get a bit of extra GF ground practice and any non GF final played in Geelong. Best of all worlds. But that's not going to happen.

I think it really comes down to finals rather than H&A games.
The ultimate aim is to play qualifying and prelim finals at unwinnable park. But you cannot mount a very good argument for home finals in Geelong if you are happy to play home games at the MCG. So you complain about the 2 home G games (which you really like) in an attempt to get what you really want, other finals in Geelong.
The perfect but impossible result for Geelong would be 2 home games at the G to get a bit of extra GF ground practice and any non GF final played in Geelong. Best of all worlds. But that's not going to happen.

See, now people keep saying that 'we like' playing home games on the MCG. I'm pretty sure that most (if not all) Cats fans would rather not play any home games at the MCG. Playing one or two extra matches on the MCG probably isn't going to be the difference between winning Grand Finals or not. And remember we spend some time training out at Deakin on an MCG-sized oval too

We don't like hiking up the highway to play a home game on what is usually the opponents home ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See, now people keep saying that 'we like' playing home games on the MCG. I'm pretty sure that most (if not all) Cats fans would rather not play any home games at the MCG. Playing one or two extra matches on the MCG probably isn't going to be the difference between winning Grand Finals or not. And remember we spend some time training out at Deakin on an MCG-sized oval too

We don't like hiking up the highway to play a home game on what is usually the opponents home ground
The communication coming out of the club has always been we want all 11 home games to be played at Geelong first and foremost, but if that's not possible then at least make sure they're at the MCG as opposed to Etihad like they used to be. Unfortunately on this website the lack of comprehension leads most to believe Geelong are actively asking for a 9-2 split, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Remember it wasn't all that long ago we had a 7-3-1 split between Kardinia Park, MCG and Etihad, which is why the club has got on the front foot and made it clear if the AFL are so hellbent on us playing in Melbourne against our will, at the very least don't schedule us at Etihad. Just a complete lie that's been posted on this forum ad nauseam that's it's started to be misconstrued as truth.

But Geelong doesn’t ask for home games in Melbourne. We ask for 11 home games in Geelong. AFL says we have to play some games in Melbourne, so we ask for MCG over Marvel. But we ask for Geelong over the MCG. There’s some nuance there, but it’s an important distinction.

Geelong Finals Record By Venue ( 1990 to 2019 The AFL Era ):

****( 53 x Finals Games )****

MCG: 42 x Games, 23 x Wins, 19 x Losses. (54.76% Win Ratio)

Waverly Park: 5 x Games, 3 x Wins, 2 x Losses. (60.00% Win Ratio)

AAMI Stadium: 2 x Games, 2 x Losses.

GMHBA: 1 x Game, 1 x Loss.

Adelaide Oval: 1 x Game, 1 x Loss.

SCG: 1 x Game, 1 x Loss.

Marvel Stadium: 1 x Game, 1 x Loss.

Thank god for the MCG and Waverly,
Because they are the only winning venues I can see,
The truth is there it can be found,
The MCG is the Cats true home ground.

(Word, freestyle rap instead of poetry, out.)

It’s not all, I really enjoy the split we have. However in saying that I don’t think we should play at the G for home games.

For as long as we have to play home finals at the G I’m hoping the current deal does not change.
I’ll support us wanting home games and absolutely think we should get them all but I don’t want them.
Maybe also because I live in Melbourne.

I don’t want only 2 matches at the G like most other sides get.

Hawthorn Finals Record By Venue ( 1990 to 2019 The AFL Era ):

****( 39 Final Games )****

MCG: 26 x Games, 14 x Wins, 12 x Losses. (53.85% Win Ratio)

Domain Stadium: 5 x Games, 2 x Wins, 3 x Losses. (40.00% Win Ratio)

Marvel Stadium: 3 x Games, 3 x Wins. (100.00% Win Ratio)

Waverly Park: 3 x Games, 2 x Wins, 1 x Loss. (66.66% Win Ratio)

AAMI Stadium: 1 x Game, 1 x Win. (100.00% Win Ratio)

SCG: 1 x Game, 1 x Loss.

So the moral of the story is it pays to win the big ones, or is it a gentle slap in the face suggesting certain teams only
qualify for finals off the boost in percentage by destroying the poorer drawing clubs at their unique venue. You be the
judge.

Rest Of The Teams Finals Record ( 1990 to 2019 The AFL Era ) Ladder Format:

West Coast: 53 x Games, 26 x Wins, 1 x Draw, 26 x Losses.

Sydney: 44 x Games, 22 x Wins, 22 x Losses.

Collingwood: 38 x Games, 20 x Wins, 2 x Draws, 16 x Losses.

Adelaide: 36 x Games, 18 x Wins, 18 x Losses.

North Melbourne: 35 x Games, 19 x Wins, 16 x Losses.

Essendon: 33 x Games, 15 x Wins, 18 x Losses.

Western Bulldogs: 30 x Games, 11 x Wins, 19 x Losses.

Brisbane: 27 x Games, 17 x Wins, 10 x Losses.

Carlton: 25 x Games, 11 x Wins, 14 x Losses.

St Kilda: 25 x Games, 10 x Wins, 1 x Draw, 14 x Losses.

Port Adelaide: 23 x Games, 11 x Wins, 12 x Losses.

Melbourne: 22 x Games, 12 x Wins, 10 x Losses.

Richmond: 17 x Games, 9 x Wins, 8 x Losses.

Fremantle: 15 x Games, 6 x Wins, 9 x Losses.

GWS Giants: 11 x Games, 6 x Wins, 5 x Losses.

GC Suns: 0 x Games, 0 x Wins, 0 x Draws, 0 x Losses. (Success comes at a great cost.)

Of course Geelong and Hawthorn finals records were contained above, but just for a quick reminder they are
Geelong: 53 x Games, 26 x Wins, 27 x Losses.
Hawthorn: 39 x Games, 22 x Wins, 17 x Losses.

Now I could have included finals venues and results for all sides, but you got Geelong and Hawthorn so no need to
complain. The committee have considered the results and have recommended a change to the Geelong theme
song to better get across their actual position in the AFL era that is "We are Geelong the second best team of all",
but only because of a pesky drawn game. What does this have to do with home ground advantage ? nothing and
everything is the answer.

So in conclusion after viewing the photographic evidence provided by loyal Geelong supporters it is fairly obvious that GMHBA
Stadium is a colossal mistake that should be demolished and redesigned with a roof to give us two roofed venues in Victoria.
Only then with it's increased capacity and roof will the AFL deem it a finals worthy venue and think of the other multiple
sports that could then be attracted to the area creating multiple jobs and prosperity. The AFL in time could shift the Grand
Final to the yet to be named new Geelong stadium as Martin Luther said once "I have a dream !". Come on Daniel Andrews
you're a product of the Western District forget about tunnels and level crossing removal and give us a stadium to inspire for
countless generations.

So in conclusion after viewing the photographic evidence provided by loyal Geelong supporters it is fairly obvious that GMHBA
Stadium is a colossal mistake that should be demolished and redesigned with a roof to give us two roofed venues in Victoria.
Only then with it's increased capacity and roof will the AFL deem it a finals worthy venue and think of the other multiple
sports that could then be attracted to the area creating multiple jobs and prosperity. The AFL in time could shift the Grand
Final to the yet to be named new Geelong stadium as Martin Luther said once "I have a dream !". Come on Daniel Andrews
you're a product of the Western District forget about tunnels and level crossing removal and give us a stadium to inspire for
countless generations.
Near where I live we have Casey Fields a multi-sport, multi arena open area for the people, using the same logic why not
convert the ground once known as GMHBA Stadium into an exciting area a homage to sport "Danger Fields". Welcome all to
the new home of the Geelong Football Club "Danger Fields" a multi-complex to bring life to sleepy hollow.

Last edited:
Hawks are well within their right to play home games wherever they chose. They can play them on the moon for all I care. That's why I find it funny that the teams who have historically or current sold games interstate (Hawks, Tigers) are the most vocal about forcing Geelong to move games to locations that benefit them.

And for the record, I don't believe more than 10k people would chose to watch the hawks week in week out ;) . They sell pets memberships for a reason.

When did Richmond sell home games interstate? I would have though North for starters would have the been the obvious one alongside Hawthorn.

Back