Do Geelong have the best home ground advantage in the AFL?

GMHBA fixturing is a…

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Like if tomorrow Richmond came out and announced they would be taking all 11 of their home games to Avalon Airport Oval in Weribee, it honestly wouldn't faze me one bit, why would it? If the Dogs said they were heading to Whitten Oval I'd actually be rapt, more variety. When, or rather what, was the trigger for Geelong playing in Geelong that caused so much ire or discussion?

We all know it’s based on success.

People talk about Richmond’s advantage, not as much Collingwood who played more on the G last year. There is also Melbourne and no one talks about them.

I would also be happy if other clubs had a home ground that wasn’t MCG/Marvel.
However the MCG sides know it would be stupid to have a different ground, they would never do it now. They would lose that clear advantage come finals time and it would cost them money and fans.
Those teams deflect their advantages onto us but we need to be playing in Geelong to help out the region who rely heavily on the cats and we make more money from playing there.
No chance do we not play in Geelong and I would be happy to share it like the dogs should have done.

It’s also amazing that the MCG tenants who get the most looked after do the most whinging despite the smaller clubs being at a severe disadvantage playing at Marvel.
Those sides play at the G maybe 2-3 times a year?

So if Geelong supporters accept that we are actually advantaged you're telling me you and other Richmond supporters would have no qualms if the AFL finally schedule us 11 home games at Kardinia Park, regardless of opposition? Not even a single complaint? Seems really unlikely based on the carry-on displayed for the past three years. There's definitely something else, I can't see it just disappearing.

Also travel time is completely irrelevant, what a stupid argument.
Also where we played in the past is completely irrelevant, what a stupid argument.

You have obviously missed the entire point, none of it is about where you play it is about the outrageous claims Geelong supporters make about being the most disadvantaged team in the league.

The MCG in finals is an advantage for Melbourne teams we can all admit that, yet cats supporters continually claim getting a HGA of an interstate side but no travel is some massive disadvantage because they have to play 1 more home game away from home than the majority of the MCG tenants.

Travel time is entirely relevant since one of the main points of carry on is Cats supporters trying to claim Geelong is ages away, when it is quicker to train to the G from Geelong than it is from the outer East of Melbourne.
The past is also relevant since you only started complaining about the MCG when you started losing, but again it's not about where the games are it's having a laugh at Geelong supporters having a complain. We know the MCG game in 2017 was a massive leg up for us doesn't make the complaining that followed any less funny.

at least we have a Cats supporter complaining to thank for ninthmond being swear filtered so you have done something right

We all know it’s based on success.

People talk about Richmond’s advantage, not as much Collingwood who played more on the G last year. There is also Melbourne and no one talks about them.

I would also be happy if other clubs had a home ground that wasn’t MCG/Marvel.
However the MCG sides know it would be stupid to have a different ground, they would never do it now. They would lose that clear advantage come finals time and it would cost them money and fans.
Those teams deflect their advantages onto us but we need to be playing in Geelong to help out the region who rely heavily on the cats and we make more money from playing there.
No chance do we not play in Geelong and I would be happy to share it like the dogs should have done.

It’s also amazing that the MCG tenants who get the most looked after do the most whinging despite the smaller clubs being at a severe disadvantage playing at Marvel.
Those sides play at the G maybe 2-3 times a year?
Can't believe the Melbourne club supporters actually want even more teams playing at MCG/Marvel, it's already dour that nine of them share those two grounds. Bit of variety adds a lot to the sport, I suspect a hint of jealously is why Kardinia Park seems to rile them up. And like you said, none of them will dare move away now and forfeit the competitive advantage they're afforded but refuse to acknowledge, which is a massive shame. Would make watching neutral games a heck of lot more entertaining if we weren't watching them play at the same old grounds all the time.

You have obviously missed the entire point, none of it is about where you play it is about the outrageous claims Geelong supporters make about being the most disadvantaged team in the league.

The MCG in finals is an advantage for Melbourne teams we can all admit that, yet cats supporters continually claim getting a HGA of an interstate side but no travel is some massive disadvantage because they have to play 1 more home game away from home than the majority of the MCG tenants.

Travel time is entirely relevant since one of the main points of carry on is Cats supporters trying to claim Geelong is ages away, when it is quicker to train to the G from Geelong than it is from the outer East of Melbourne.
The past is also relevant since you only started complaining about the MCG when you started losing, but again it's not about where the games are it's having a laugh at Geelong supporters having a complain. We know the MCG game in 2017 was a massive leg up for us doesn't make the complaining that followed any less funny.

at least we have a Cats supporter complaining to thank for Premiershipmond being swear filtered so you have done something right
Interstate sides get more than 9 home games, and never play at a disadvantage like Geelong do eg Geelong vs Pies at the MCG. Also it doesn't matter how far away the grounds are, if our home ground was 2 minutes away from the MCG it's still our home ground. Just a dumb argument whenever anyone brings up the 'just down the highway' remark.

The ground is also constantly being upgraded, it's logical that the once used excuse of being too small, which in and of itself is also just a moronic argument, is now being challenged. It just seems to be a Geelong related issue that the club is working through, but for some reason it really riles up the supporters of the Melbourne-based teams.

You should play all 11 games on the moon if you want, no one actually cares where you play.

The funny part is the continual claims that you are disadvantaged despite it being obvious to all and sundry that the opposite is true.

But if you want to know where it started I think for most it was the hilarious crying about the 2017 final and how scared the Geelong fans were because they had to travel somewhere that is only an hour away despite choosing to do so for years prior with no issues.

You say we are not disadvantaged than talk about our away home final in the next paragraph.
Truly bizarre that you don’t see the irony.
Scared Geelong fans is ridiculous, nice little thought for you to have though. Makes you feel big and tough as a footy fan yeah? Haha

Interstate sides get more than 9 home games, and never play at a disadvantage like Geelong do eg Geelong vs Pies at the MCG. Also it doesn't matter how far away the grounds are, if our home ground was 2 minutes away from the MCG it's still our home ground. Just a dumb argument whenever anyone brings up the 'just down the highway' remark.

The ground is also constantly being upgraded, it's logical that the once used excuse of being too small, which in and of itself is also just a moronic argument, is now being challenged. It just seems to be a Geelong related issue that the club is working through, but for some reason it really riles up the supporters of the Melbourne-based teams.

Interstate sides fly every second week. This is exactly the point of the entire thread

You've just been saying how MCG sides have this advantage but never admit it

I did and you are still, but but but Geelong you're just jealous of us.

I'll say it one last time you should play all 11 games and finals in Geelong best of luck to you but stop with the moronic complaining about how disadvantaged you are. My favourite one is the one where you say you are the most disadvantaged team in world sports because you have to play 1 extra home game at another venue.

Interstate sides fly every second week. This is exactly the point of the entire thread

You've just been saying how MCG sides have this advantage but never admit it

I did and you are still, but but but Geelong you're just jealous of us.

I'll say it one last time you should play all 11 games and finals in Geelong best of luck to you but stop with the moronic complaining about how disadvantaged you are. My favourite one is the one where you say you are the most disadvantaged team in world sports because you have to play 1 extra home game at another venue.
You keep trying to put words into my mouth. Really couldn't care less about the whole tit-for-tat 'we are advantaged', 'we are disadvantaged' rubbish, nothing in the current game will ever compare to the advantages afforded to MCG tenants, but that's beyond repair after everyone migrated there and abandoned their roots. The simple fact is a club should be allowed to specify their home ground, the AFL shouldn't be dictating where a club can or can't play, especially not in the current climate where we've got teams playing in Cairns, Darwin, Alice Springs, Hobart, Launceston, China etc, where not a single team is located, yet a club that's existed since 1859 is being denied the right to play all its' home games in their city of residence.

Not a fan of whinging, but in this instance I think the club should absolutely be spitting the dummy, far harder than the limp attempts so far until they get what they want, just like the 17 other clubs do to get their way. Sign a contract with the KP trust, the council, whatever for 11 games, just like the Hawks did with the Tassie Govt. when the AFL originally wanted them gone.

You say we are not disadvantaged than talk about our away home final in the next paragraph.
Truly bizarre that you don’t see the irony.
Scared Geelong fans is ridiculous, nice little thought for you to have though. Makes you feel big and tough as a footy fan yeah? Haha
It's just lame false bravado. Geelong fans have had to travel up to Melbourne time and time again, nothing scary about a city full of latte sipping hipsters lol. Yet in 2017 the Richmond army couldn't fulfill their total allotment of tickets to our game and they had to be resold among Geelong members. I guess that makes them scaredy-cats? What logic.

The Team Of The People (2000 to 2020) Venues Played At:

Collingwood: 13 x Venues

Geelong: 15 x Venues

Richmond: 18 x Venues (Team of the people)

Not that it could have anything to do with crowd potential or revenue just balanced AFL decisions.
So Yojimbo you're saying Richmond are the team of the people with 18 x Venues.

No Yojimbo thanks for asking I am saying since Richmond have become good it has dropped to 9 x Venues (2017 to 2020)
fascinating the relationship between venues and membership and success.

No Yojimbo thanks for asking I am saying since Richmond have become good it has dropped to 9 x Venues (2017 to 2020)

Optus, Adelaide, Gabba, Metricon, SCG, Wherever GWS play, MCG, Marvel, Geelong

Outside of Tassie where else exactly would you like teams to play?

You keep trying to put words into my mouth. Really couldn't care less about the whole tit-for-tat 'we are advantaged', 'we are disadvantaged' rubbish, nothing in the current game will ever compare to the advantages afforded to MCG tenants, but that's beyond repair after everyone migrated there and abandoned their roots. The simple fact is a club should be allowed to specify their home ground, the AFL shouldn't be dictating where a club can or can't play, especially not in the current climate where we've got teams playing in Cairns, Darwin, Alice Springs, Hobart, Launceston, China etc, where not a single team is located, yet a club that's existed since 1859 is being denied the right to play all its' home games in their city of residence.

Not a fan of whinging, but in this instance I think the club should absolutely be spitting the dummy, far harder than the limp attempts so far until they get what they want, just like the 17 other clubs do to get their way. Sign a contract with the KP trust, the council, whatever for 11 games, just like the Hawks did with the Tassie Govt. when the AFL originally wanted them gone.

There you go then, we can agree you should be playing in Geelong and you should all stop complaining

It's just lame false bravado. Geelong fans have had to travel up to Melbourne time and time again, nothing scary about a city full of latte sipping hipsters lol. Yet in 2017 the Richmond army couldn't fulfill their total allotment of tickets to our game and they had to be resold among Geelong members. I guess that makes them scaredy-cats? What logic.

IIRC one of the main complaints from Geelong in 2017 was Richmond members using the Geelong code to buy tickets because ours sold out super fast

IIRC one of the main complaints from Geelong in 2017 was Richmond members using the Geelong code to buy tickets because ours sold out super fast
Seems a pretty valid complaint from my point of view. Flipside Richmond supporters couldn't fulfill their modest allotment of tickets for the Kardinia Park match. Using this logic Richmond fans were scared sooky lalas? 🤣 🤣

Seems a pretty valid complaint from my point of view. Flipside Richmond supporters couldn't fulfill their modest allotment of tickets for the Kardinia Park match. Using this logic Richmond fans were scared sooky lalas? 🤣 🤣
From memory there were only single seats left to reserve and a general admission area that fills with Geelong ferals.

I assume the 2017 cutoff was so you didn't need to include us playing in Tas in 2016?

BTW, how many have other clubs played at in that time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remind me, when was the last time Geelong played 11 home games at KP?

As for signing a contract...I dare say the contracts covering the new stands would have covered that, don't you? Those who paid for those stands clearly didn't want you playing 11 games in Geelong, and your club was, at the very least, willing to go along with that.

Last edited:
The best home ground advantage is having the grand final played on your home ground every year.

Nothing else comes close
I'm always amused how some West Coast supporters just couldn't enjoy their club's premiership because it absolutely destroyed this argument and the victim narrative.
Still, it hasn't stopped some of you whinging like a pack of Geelong supporters.

The truth was that Geelong was only offering single seats. For example, friend of mine who wanted to go with his kids and found that they would be separated. Just another example of why the Geelong hierarchy just doesn't have the maturity to have home games at Kardinia against big clubs. Too insecure and always looking for ever more underhanded advantages. As if you'll ever get another final there.
However, I would love for them to get all their home games in Geelong (something their management is against despite what they say publicly)
Imagine the whinge fest when they only get 2 or 3 games at the MCG like other non Melbourne clubs.

Still unsure why Richmond and Pies fans are so scared of playing Geelong at Kard Pk.

Its not as though they would ever be gifted an uninterrupted last 2 months of the season playing home games at Kard Pk, knowing the GF is also played at Kard Pk.
That would never happen for any club, right ? I mean pffft lol, imagine if they got their last 10 straight gifted to them at home.

Still unsure why Richmond and Pies fans are so scared of playing Geelong at Kard Pk.

Its not as though they would ever be gifted an uninterrupted last 2 months of the season playing home games at Kard Pk, knowing the GF is also played at Kard Pk.
That would never happen for any club, right ? I mean pffft lol, imagine if they got their last 10 straight gifted to them at home.

Imagine the outburst if Sydney didn't get a home game until round 12

Interesting. How many venues did Collingwood and Geelong play between 2017 and 2020?

I went to that game and it was raining hard. A very cold and rainy night. What you said is true about the fact that Geelong does not draw all that much against Richmond as the home team at the MCG. The only thing is that Geelong has only ever played Richmond at the MCG twice as the home side (46K in 2018 and 34K in 2014).

Numbers do not look all that inspiring so I see why you do not see the point of Geelong playing away games at the MCG. I think that it could be higher with more sample size and mild weather though.

That doesn’t explain the mediocre crowds we’ve consistently had against you though, with with the exception of the last two matches (where you’ve been the home team) Richmond vs. Geelong matches in Melbourne have almost always drawn very mediocre crowds. Meanwhile our home matches against Essendon (who have been a mediocre side for the best part of 2 decades now) have averaged the same amount at a consistently near or at capacity Docklands as the record highest against the Tigers at all.

The fact that Richmond fans have consistently not shown up for decades to our home games in Melbourne even when 1) their winning and 2) the weather is nice shouldn’t be our problem.

We don’t have that issue with Hawthorn, Collingwood or Essendon.

I assume the 2017 cutoff was so you didn't need to include us playing in Tas in 2016?

BTW, how many have other clubs played at in that time?
It's not being critical at all, it's smart business by the AFL, the make hay while the sun shines approach, I was a wrestling fan
in my younger years and the Hawthorn and Geelong rivalry with the Kennett curse was very much like the Jimmy Snuka and
Don Muraco feud you would swear it was a work, but over multiple years.

Sorry Sterge have not quite mastered the how to respond to multiple posts angle yet, but factors such as grounds changing
names do make the gap in venues played come down a little, but when a team is hot the AFL should exploit their drawing
power and this year with the no crowds angle maybe it's time to send the Hawks, Bombers and Magpies down to GMHBA.
My points are subtle sometimes and easily misunderstood as critique, but it all makes sense somewhere out there.

Imagine the outburst if Sydney didn't get a home game until round 12
Pfft are you joking ?
We'd be celebrating. We play better away.
To get 2-3 months of uninterrupted run home ? plus finals and a GF at the SCG ?...where do we sign ? QUICK, PLEASE PLEASE.
Fri night with the wife and kids, Sat night with the girlfriend, Midweek nights at the mates place without restrictions, no fking planes for months. Mums cooking, easier injury management, less coaching, training at the same place all the time, same recovery routine, same prep routine, getting to know every blade of grass on the ground until even your dog could run on and cause troubles....its a bloody dream.

I'll just assume you live in your mums basement and play video games all day. You one of those E-Sport types ?

Its actually a miracle anyone showed up considering how scary Richmond fans are and how geelong fans feared for their lives at the 2017 final.

I don't blame them for not leaving Geelong.

Since when have the admins decided to allow trolls to become mods on here?

Are you going to contribute or just post Bay 13 style garbage as per the quoted post?

Collingwood: 8 x Venues
Geelong: 10 x Venues

Maybe this is a representation of the Tigers new dawn of glory and dominance.
No. It’s a representation of using data in a flawed way to justify a hypothesis.

Using data from three years and comparing it to years (with those three years included), will always show a decrease in amount of venues in the smaller data set.

It’s like saying for the first twenty years of my life i had 10 different jobs but in the last three years I only had two. I’m more successful now so it must be because I’ve had less jobs.

No. It’s a representation of using data in a flawed way to justify a hypothesis.

Using data from three years and comparing it to years (with those three years included), will always show a decrease in amount of venues in the smaller data set.

It’s like saying for the first twenty years of my life i had 10 different jobs but in the last three years I only had two. I’m more successful now so it must be because I’ve had less jobs.
Maybe the AFL have put the strap on the biggest draw the game has ever seen, maybe they like the $$$$$$$.

Without knowing you're complete job history it is hard to chart your journey through life, I worked for Greg Norman and
in a weird twist of fate I also liked getting naked, go figure.

Back