Do Geelong have the best home ground advantage in the AFL?

GMHBA fixturing is a…

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
The constant I hear from interstate supporters is how Victorian clubs have a distinct home ground advantage when playing a Grand Final. I hear about travel time on planes.

The constant I hear from Victorians is how interstate teams get to play on the grounds they train, share with one one other tenant, max! Which gives them a distinct advantage to clock wins during the home and away.

They (we) all gloss over a few key facts,

1. Whilst Fremantle share a home ground with West Coast, they have an advantage to train and play on a field 16 others access at most, twice a year. Making it vastly easier to tske advantage of home field advantage to win matches throughout the season, much harder to win Grand final day.

2. Collingwood share the same home ground with 9 other clubs, and whilst clubs like Essendon and the Saints aren't technically residents of the MCG, they play their enough to offset any advantage Collingwood would have over the venue.

3. Geelong is merely a city by name, it's dwarfed in size by Gold Coast, Newcastle, Wollongong, etc. The 'city' in itself is merely a one hour drive on the highway.

No one complains Melbourne play all the home games at the G, and no one did for Richmond from 1983-2016. It only becomes an issue whrn the team is successful, and far too much credit is placed on the 'favourable' fixture than the quality of the team. When Melbourne do come good, people will begin complaining about an advantage they clearly don't have.

Whilst interstate and Victorian supporters squabble in a simplistic and unsophiscated manner (me included), one club gets away with the free pass of all free passes.

Lets look at Geelong
- Play frequently at the MCG for familiarity of the surface? (YES.) They share the same advantage Victorian clubs have over the interstate.

- Play frequently on the home ground they train on, one they share with one one tenant. (YES.) They share the same advantage interstate clubs have over Victorian teams. An advantage thst doesn't help in finals, but helps during the home and away.

Much was made of Geelong's insistence to play their home finals at their home ground, but besides the fans being locked out, the AFL promising a home final in their home state, not home ground and the sheer money lost by all. Geelong didn't once complain playing Melbourne or Richmond at the MCG, until they began losing. Infact, much has been made of Richmond's success agaisnt Geelong in finals at the G, but let's not forget until Richmond's win over Geelong in 2017, The Tigers hadnt beaten Geelong at the MCG since 1999!!

Now, on this day, Geelong are urging the AFL to play all their home games at the Cattery once again, why can't the Bulldogs play at Whitten? Carlton at ikon? What about hawthorn at Waverly? Could you Guess how many more wins the Bulldogs would have this season if they played Whitten Oval? Geelong get this, every, single, year. In fact, they don't lose at the Cattery, how could you? Home crowd, inability of opposition to even get a seat and ground dimensions unlike any surface.

Geelong Home Game Performance (2000 to 2019) A Brutal Analysis:

2019: 9 x Games for 8 x Wins, 1 x Loss (GWS 4 Pts) Finals Tick.
2018: 9 x Games for 8 x Wins, 1 x Loss (Syd 17 Pts) Finals Tick.
2017: 7 x Games for 6 x Wins, 1 x Loss (Syd 46 Pts) Finals Tick.
2016: 8 x Games for 7 x Wins, 1 x Loss (Syd 38 Pts) Finals Tick.
2015: 8 x Games for 5 x Wins, 3 x Losses (Freo 44 Pts, Nth 16 Pts, Melb 24 Pts) No Finals.
2014: 7 x Games for 7 x Wins, Finals Tick.
2013: 8 x Games for 7 x Wins, 1 x Loss (Freo 15 Pts) Finals Tick.
2012: 7 x Games for 7 x Wins, Finals Tick.
2011: 7 x Games for 6 x Wins, 1 x Loss (Syd 13 Pts) Finals Tick (Premier).
2010: 7 x Games for 7 x Wins, Finals Tick.

2009: 8 x Games for 8 x Wins, Finals Tick (Premier).
2008: 8 x Games for 8 x Wins, Finals Tick.
2007: 8 x Games for 6 x Wins, 2 x Losses (Nth 16 Pts, Port 5 Pts) Finals Tick (Premier).
2006: 8 x Games for 4 x Wins, 1 x Draw, 3 x Losses (Melb D, Haw 52 Pts, Rich 20 Pts, WC 3 Pts) No Finals.
2005: 8 x Games for 6 x Wins, 2 x Losses (Freo 9 Pts, Melb 1 Pt) Finals Tick.
2004: 8 x Games for 8 x Wins, Finals Tick.
2003: 8 x Games for 3 x Wins, 1 x Draw, 4 x Losses (WC D, Nth 23 Pts, Bris 14 Pts, Adel 17 Pts, WB 18Pts) No Finals.
2002: 8 x Games for 4 x Wins, 4 x Losses (WB 12 Pts, Adel 3 Pts, Nth 64 Pts, Bris 55 Pts) No Finals.
2001: 7 x Games for 3 x Wins, 4 x Losses ( Nth 20 Pts, Port 46 Pts, WB 7 Pts, Bris 43 Pts) No Finals.
2000: 7 x Games for 6 x Wins, 1 x Loss (Bris 69 Pts) Finals Tick.

So in short since the year 2000:
155 x Games
29 x Losses
2 x Draws
124 x Wins

During the 15 x years of finals:
11 x Losses

Teams success at (The Narrows or Percentage Park):
North Melbourne: 5 x Times, 1 x Finals, 4 x Non Finals.
Sydney: 4 x Times, 4 x Finals (Genuine Bogey Side).
Brisbane: 4 x Times, 1 x Finals, 3 x Non Finals.
Fremantle: 3 x Times, 2 x Finals, 1 x Non Finals (Genuine Bogey Side).
Western Bulldogs: 3 x Times, 3 x Non Finals.
Melbourne: 2 x Times, 1 x Draw, 1 x Finals, 2 x Non Finals.
Port Adelaide: 2 x Times, 1 x Finals, 1 x Non Finals.
Adelaide: 2 x Times, 2 x Non Finals.
GWS Giants: 1 x Time, 1 x Finals.
Hawthorn: 1 x Time, 1 x Non Finals.
Richmond: 1 x Time, 1 x Non Finals.
West Coast: 1 x Time, 1 x Draw Non Finals.

There it is Undertaker the (Stats and Facts) needed to give this thread a bit of Old School
and Snake Eyes (Hokey Moves) and win another belt for the dead man.

The Last Three Seasons Of Geelong (Home And Away):

Geelong 2019 (22 x Regular, 3 x Finals) 25 x Games:
GMHBA: 9 x Games, 8 x Wins, 1 x Loss.
Elsewhere: 16 x Games, 9 x Wins, 7 x Losses.

Geelong 2018 (22 x Regular, 1 x Finals) 23 x Games:
GMHBA: 9 x Games, 8 x Wins, 1 x Loss.
Elsewhere: 14 x Games, 5 x Wins, 9 x Losses.

Geelong 2017 (22 x Regular, 3 x Finals) 25 x Games:
GMHBA: 7 x Games, 6 x Wins, 1 x Loss.
Elsewhere: 18 x Games, 10 x Wins, 7 x Losses, 1 x Draw.

So the sum total for the last three seasons:
Games Played = 73 Games (66 x Regular, 7 x Finals)
GMHBA: 25 x Games, 22 x Wins, 3 x Losses.
Elsewhere: 48 x Games, 24 x Wins, 23 x Losses, 1 x Draw.

Now I know you could say the same for most teams in that they all play Home and Away,
but this is all about demonising the perceived advantage owned by Geelong.

Thank you Yojimbo

If GEELONG want to play theit home games at GEELONG this year, then let the dogs play at Whitten and give Carlton Optus oval, there are no crowds, why is this even an issue??

They are alarming !!! Now I hope this helps too, this isn't like a basketball court, where the measurements are cm perfect, this 'oval' has the configurations no other oval has. The ability to train, practise specific gameplans thst would be more of an unfair advantage then normal is quite alarming.

This is the most narrow ground in the country, whilst being on the of the longest in length.
Screenshot_20200522-084535_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have said it in many threads before that Geelong FC are the most advantaged side in the AFL by the length of the Flemington straight.
Even when they're traveling not so well they will still bank most wins at that alphabet boutique stadium then only need to pick off a few wins against other poor sides and still make finals.
At this moment they're a very strong side regardless and would still win enough games away from the ABC stadium, however I believe the above will be proven when they're are finally down.

Get in here again STPer18 can't miss this comedy gold.

- No one gave a s**t about our ground until we started winning.
- The dimensions have been the same since the 1940s.
- We haven't played half our matches at HOME for over 40 years.

We are highly disadvantaged and these type threads are highly disrespectful to Wells and Cook etc. Who are far more responsible for our 30 years of consistent finals appearances than our home ground is.

Last edited:

- We haven't played half our home matches at HOME for over 40 years.

We are highly disadvantaged and these type threads are highly disrespectful to Wells and Cook etc. Who are far more responsible for our 30 years of consistent finals appearances than our home ground is.

Don't you find it ironic that you started 'winning' when Optus Oval was removed from Carlton, Vic Park from Collingwood, Whitten Oval, Windy Hill, even Waverly from Hawthorn, Bulldogs and Essendon??

Don't you find it wierd your club won a measly 6 premierships and had a 42 year premiership drought and the only point where things went right was when your club was the only one still playing games for premiership points in their own exclusive stadium?

Don't you find it ironic that you started 'winning' when Optus Oval was removed from Carlton, Vic Park from Collingwood, Whitten Oval, Windy Hill, even Waverly from Hawthorn, Bulldogs and Essendon??

Don't you find it wierd your club won a measly 6 premierships and had a 42 year premiership drought and the only point where things went right was when your club was the only one still playing games for premiership points in their own exclusive stadium?
- Zones
- Banktrupty
- List Management

Zones: Zones played a big part in the football landscape in the 70s and 80s, and even before. Clubs like Hawthorn and Carlton etc got luckier with the zones they were afforded. Surprise surprise who dominated premiership tallies

Bankruptcy: We were in the 1970s a poorly run club, on the brink of bankruptcy. Alec Popescu and Sam Newman's father at one point paid the clubs bills. Clubs that are run poorly don't succeed.

List management: Mid 80s the club lands Ablett, then Couch, Bairstow, Hocking etc. Falls short as they 1. Didn't prioritise defenders and 2. Let Greg Williams leave over a miserly 5k. Late 90s and early 00s and Wells nails many drafts and success follows.

In short, your rationale is pure pish.

Geelong The Premiership Years:

2011: 25 x Games ( 22 x Regular, 3 x Finals)
GMHBA: 7 x Games, 6 x Wins, 1 x Loss.
Elsewhere: 18 x Games, 16 x Wins, 2 x Losses.

2009: 25 Games ( 22 x Regular, 3 x Finals)
GMNBA: 8 x Games, 8 x Wins.
Elsewhere: 17 x Games, 13 x Wins, 4 x Losses.

2007: 25 x Games ( 22 x Regular, 3 x Finals)
GMHBA: 8 x Games, 6 x Wins, 2 x Losses.
Elsewhere: 17 x Games, 15 x Wins, 2 x Losses.

So to summarize the "Premiership Years":
Games Played: 75 Games.
GMHBA: 23 x Games, 20 x Wins, 3 x Losses.
Elsewhere: 52 x Games, 44 x Wins, 8 x Losses.

So in summary a good team is a good team and a great team is a great team, just thought I would post something positive as I
remembered my one Geelong friend still owes me money and may never pay up in the face of constant criticism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Zones
- Banktrupty
- List Management

Zones: Zones played a big part in the football landscape in the 70s and 80s, and even before. Clubs like Hawthorn and Carlton etc got luckier with the zones they were afforded. Surprise surprise who dominated premiership tallies

Bankruptcy: We were in the 1970s a poorly run club, on the brink of bankruptcy. Alec Popescu and Sam Newman's father at one point paid the clubs bills. Clubs that are run poorly don't succeed.

List management: Mid 80s the club lands Ablett, then Couch, Bairstow, Hocking etc. Falls short as they 1. Didn't prioritise defenders and 2. Let Greg Williams leave over a miserly 5k. Late 90s and early 00s and Wells nails many drafts and success follows.

In short, your rationale is pure pish.
You're incredibly biased and I can't take your opinion seriously.

However, excellent Seinfeld reference in your nickname, good to see the show has finally debuted on Geelong television. In a few months, they'll be premiering a show called Frasier, it's excellent! Give it a go

Started by an obsessed Richmond supporter looking for deflection: tick

We play at home 9 teams a year, been as low as 6/7. The AFL wanted to move us to waverley in the 90s for christ sake. When that failed they built docklands to entice us and we still told them to f off.

Just because richmond gave up punt rd without a fight in the 60s, starting the trend of clubs consolidating home grounds doesn't mean Geelong should conform.

Geelong's population is 300k. Same as Woolongong.

Richmond play 14 H+A games at the G each year, much bigger problem there...

- We haven't played half our matches at HOME for over 40 years.

Not even worth it at this stage. Those who have a gripe about Geelong playing games in Geelong are just on another planet. Nine teams sharing two grounds is pathetic, deep down even the supporters of the Melbourne-based clubs know this. No way should we join those carbon-copy minnows.

Until you have sold your soul to play at tiny venues all around the country in the hope of a small profit you are nothing, like that classic song "I've been everywhere man". The Dogs
would love that money guarantee that Geelong have at all their home games not to mention the huge percentage boost that takes you from pretenders to contenders in your ever
so occasional average years.
Weren't the Dogs going to host some games down here a while ago or something until the AFL jumped in? Or was that another team. Give that indoor crapper the boot ASAP.

Weren't the Dogs going to host some games down here a while ago or something until the AFL jumped in? Or was that another team. Give that indoor crapper the boot ASAP.
Sorry about that post, the letters jumped all over the place and I deleted it.

I agree with you playing games in Geelong seems like a good plan and just
maybe some of the Geelong polish might rub off and make us better men.

It seems horribly unjust that Luke Beveridge and Chris Scott have the same
number of premierships given the starting positions both clubs have had
in the recent years, but such is life.

Why is your ground so narrow? genuine question, I have heard the curator
waters the ground with Red Bull because it gives you wings. (Joking)

Neale Balme became a man at Geelong, Richmond supporters are quick to
forget and maybe he applied that dominant home ground philosophy to
the MCG even though it is a vastly different methodology.

The OP is a Richmond Man (So all is fare in Stats and Facts) 2017, 2018, 2019 Revealed:

2019 Richmond: 25 x Games (22 x Regular, 3 x Finals)
MCG: 15 x Games, 13 x Wins, 2 x Losses.
Elsewhere: 10 x Games, 6 x Wins, 4 x Losses.

2018 Richmond: 24 Games (22 x Regular, 2 x Finals)
MCG: 16 x Games, 15 x Wins, 1 x Loss.
Elsewhere: 8 x Games, 4 x Wins, 4 x Losses.

2017 Richmond: 25 Games (22 x Regular, 3 x Finals)
MCG: 14 x Games, 12 x Wins, 2 x Losses.
Elsewhere: 11 x Games, 6 x Wins, 5 x Losses.

So to summarize the three seasons of greatness:
Games Played: 74 x Games.
MCG: 45 x Games, 40 x Wins, 5 x Losses.
Elsewhere: 29 x Games, 16 x Wins, 13 x Losses.

I realise that some of those MCG home games are played from the visitors rooms, but
the oval must have a similar feel once the initial shock of the different rooms passes.
I admire both sides don't get me wrong, but I have no problem putting the boots into
either with a balanced Ying and Yang approach.

1. Whilst Fremantle share a home ground with West Coast, they have an advantage to train and play on a field 16 others access at most, twice a year. Making it vastly easier to tske advantage of home field advantage to win matches throughout the season, much harder to win Grand final day.

- Play frequently on the home ground they train on, one they share with one one tenant. (YES.) They share the same advantage interstate clubs have over Victorian teams. An advantage thst doesn't help in finals, but helps during the home and away.

Incorrect, WC and Fremantle do not train at Optus

The OP is a Richmond Man (So all is fare in Stats and Facts) 2017, 2018, 2019 Revealed:

2019 Richmond: 25 x Games (22 x Regular, 3 x Finals)
MCG: 15 x Games, 13 x Wins, 2 x Losses.
Elsewhere: 10 x Games, 6 x Wins, 4 x Losses.

2018 Richmond: 24 Games (22 x Regular, 2 x Finals)
MCG: 16 x Games, 15 x Wins, 1 x Loss.
Elsewhere: 8 x Games, 4 x Wins, 4 x Losses.

2017 Richmond: 25 Games (22 x Regular, 3 x Finals)
MCG: 14 x Games, 12 x Wins, 2 x Losses.
Elsewhere: 11 x Games, 6 x Wins, 5 x Losses.

So to summarize the three seasons of greatness:
Games Played: 74 x Games.
MCG: 45 x Games, 40 x Wins, 5 x Losses.
Elsewhere: 29 x Games, 16 x Wins, 13 x Losses.

I realise that some of those MCG home games are played from the visitors rooms, but
the oval must have a similar feel once the initial shock of the different rooms passes.
I admire both sides don't get me wrong, but I have no problem putting the boots into
either with a balanced Ying and Yang approach.
Fair enough!

Not even worth it at this stage. Those who have a gripe about Geelong playing games in Geelong are just on another planet. Nine teams sharing two grounds is pathetic, deep down even the supporters of the Melbourne-based clubs know this. No way should we join those carbon-copy minnows.
Same OP as the thread sent to the divvy not long before. :think:

End the cringe please Wooshette _Mike_

Back