Do Geelong have the best home ground advantage in the AFL?

GMHBA fixturing is a…

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When did Richmond sell home games interstate? I would have though North for starters would have the been the obvious one alongside Hawthorn.
North, Melbourne both sell games interstate but their fans are less vocal.

Tigers sold games to Cairns (Gold Coasts first win against the Tigers was up there, the game karmichael hunt scored after the siren).

My big question is with the 17 round season... unless my maths is incorrect some teams will find themselves with one less home game for eg... 8 home & 9 away.

Now I wonder if Geelong will get 9 games at their boutique alphabet stadium. My best bet is 100% they will otherwise Chris Sook would be banging down the AFL house doors.

Now if that's the case it would only be fair if Richmond could get 16 straight "home" MCG games ;)

My big question is with the 17 round season... unless my maths is incorrect some teams will find themselves with one less home game for eg... 8 home & 9 away.

Now I wonder if Geelong will get 9 games at their boutique alphabet stadium. My best bet is 100% they will otherwise Chris Sook would be banging down the AFL house doors.

Now if that's the case it would only be fair if Richmond could get 16 straight "home" MCG games ;)
It'll be interesting to see who the home team for the Geelong v Richmond game this year is. Even the great Chris Scott was made to look like an amateur sook when compared to Hardwick and Gale in both the lead-up and aftermath of that game down here a few years ago. ;)

If there ever has been a year to ignore the whole "Home and Away" vibe then this is it, there is no crowds so why not provide
some neutral games, why not have two non-Geelong teams play at GMHBA stadium it should not matter this year.

But you do every year don’t you?

I think the easiest way to provide "fairness" is for the recommenced season to be season as a 16 round season (8 home, 8 away) and that the results for R1 count but the H/A status is no longer applied to games.

If there ever has been a year to ignore the whole "Home and Away" vibe then this is it, there is no crowds so why not provide
some neutral games, why not have two non-Geelong teams play at GMHBA stadium it should not matter this year.
Yeah could have some non Geelong games there this year. However I would like to see some partisan noise of affirmation down there when Geelong plays. The fake crowd noise at the NRL works i think. Hopefully cats can have some noise down there that makes it a true home ‘crowd’ advantage.

Yeah could have some non Geelong games there this year. However I would like to see some partisan noise of affirmation down there when Geelong plays. The fake crowd noise at the NRL works i think. Hopefully cats can have some noise down there that makes it a true home ‘crowd’ advantage.
If they demolish GMHBA because of the flammable cladding which of the five new stadium names do you prefer ?
1: Danger Fields
2: Selwood Stadium
3: Ablett Arena
4: Brad Ottens Oval
5: Costa Colosseum
I would rather dine at the Bartel Bar and Bistro in preference to the upmarket Ling Lounge, but everyone to their own.

If they demolish GMHBA because of the flammable cladding which of the five new stadium names do you prefer ?
I would rather dine at the Bartel Bar and Bistro in preference to the upmarket Ling Lounge, but everyone to their own.

I think I’d rather research bat and pangolin recipes in Far East Asia than any of those.

"Danger Fields" has a good ring to it.... anything is better than the ABC stadium

"Danger Fields" has a good ring to it.... anything is better than the ABC stadium

The Ablett one has a certain appeal given we’ve had one on the list for 33 of the last 37 years. And they’re unquestionably our two greatest players in at least the last half a century.

But the club has been around a long time. Some instant w***ery over players that haven’t been around that long is more than a little foolish.

Thoroughly enjoyed this thread, cheers!

Cats mostly play sh1t teams in Geelong though which I think inflates the win/loss a bit. Sydney, Freo touched them up... even Brisbane and Melbourne came close a couple of times. Anyone who's any good draws a big crowd so it ends up in Melbourne. Which is great! I live in Melbourne so easier to get to because Geelong the town is about as fun as a night out with Damian Barrett and Luke Beveridge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Costa Colosseum, he built the joint through connections and playing off Lib and Lab.

Exactly! What an advantage !

Why Do I have this feeling I somehow contributed to making this thread Indirectly?

Because we have gone from.....

-Richmond wins the flag in 2017, All the Non-Vic sides crack the poos about Richmond winning the flag vs a non-vic club like the crows. Yet people forget from between the 1982 Grand final loss to Richmonds 2013 Elim final loss, Richmond only made finals in 1995 and 2001. So from 1983-2012, this is a 30 year span, Made Prelim finals in 1995 and 2001. So thats 2 years out of finals in a 30 year period. Lets not forget Richmond finished 9th in 1994, 1996, 2000, 2006 and 2008.

-A crow fan started a thread a few days after the 2017 Grand final that no Non-Vic side has beaten a Vic side in the AFL grand final without list/Draft concessions or Salary cap (COLA) Concessions. Hell a Middle Aged angry eagles supporter decided to go one a drunken tirade and posted between 100-200 posts on that thread. And yes I am refering to you kranky al . And the Ironic thing was the thread was bumped when the Eagles beat Collingwood in the 2018 Grand final. And yet there is a Vocal amount of eagles fans still complaining about the MCG grand final rules despite winning Premierships in the MCG in 1992, 1994, 2006 and 2018.

-Some random North fan has started a random thread, gone one a 30 page drunken tirade that North have sacrificed themselves and saved the AFL from Being Bankrupt Because North get 15-20,000 people a game in a 55,000 emptyhad/ Etihad/ Colonial/ Marvel/ Docklands stadium.

-Talked about the high rent North, Saints, Dogs and other docklands pay in rent for docklands that holds 55,000 seats and comparing it to Geelong, who plays in Kardinia Park, that holds 36,000 seats that plays Dirt cheap rent

The communication coming out of the club has always been we want all 11 home games to be played at Geelong first and foremost, but if that's not possible then at least make sure they're at the MCG as opposed to Etihad like they used to be.
You mean like how Richmond and Collingwood still do have to play home games at Docklands?
Must be hard being Geelong, not getting as many unsporting advantages as they think they're entitled to. Still, I wonder about the tactical intelligence of Geelong's President, coach, captain and supporters constantly insisting that the players just don't have the character to compete at a neutral venue. I wonder if constantly being labelled pea hearts by those who are meant to be in your corner eventually becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.

It'll be interesting to see who the home team for the Geelong v Richmond game this year is. Even the great Chris Scott was made to look like an amateur sook when compared to Hardwick and Gale in both the lead-up and aftermath of that game down here a few years ago. ;)
Do you think making up stories about other people complaining for 5 minutes somehow justifies your years of constant infernal whinging?
Look. I'd be happy for Geelong to play all of it's home games at it's home ground, especially if Richmond were granted the same privilege. Do I think for one minute that would stop Geelong supporters whinging about how unfair it all is? Not at all. It's a cultural thing. You feel very entitled to unsporting advantages not afforded to others, and no matter how many you get, you can never be sated.

Whinge on.

The Ablett one has a certain appeal given we’ve had one on the list for 33 of the last 37 years. And they’re unquestionably our two greatest players in at least the last half a century.

But the club has been around a long time. Some instant w***ery over players that haven’t been around that long is more than a little foolish.
Shell Ablett Arena, Skilled Ablett Arena, Ford Ablett Arena, GMHBA Ablett Arena, Subway Ablett Arena (Eat fresh) whack the sponsor
on the front and I don't think it makes a big difference.

Geelong's Best and Fairest is called the Cargi Greeves Medal if you had changed it to the Paul Couch Medal after his sad passing do
you think it diminishes either man, I don't. New Stadium new name, lucky I did not mention the Enright Enclosure or the Tenace
Terrace or the Harry Taylor Wellness Centre. Anyway onwards and upwards.

Do you think making up stories about other people complaining for 5 minutes somehow justifies your years of constant infernal whinging?
Look. I'd be happy for Geelong to play all of it's home games at it's home ground, especially if Richmond were granted the same privilege. Do I think for one minute that would stop Geelong supporters whinging about how unfair it all is? Not at all. It's a cultural thing. You feel very entitled to unsporting advantages not afforded to others, and no matter how many you get, you can never be sated.

Whinge on.
Nothing made up about that at all. Gale pregame was trying his darnedest to get the game rescheduled at the MCG, and post game Hardwick was having a fair old whinge about Kardinia Park and the crowd. It's hypocritical to think otherwise.

You mean like how Richmond and Collingwood still do have to play home games at Docklands?
Must be hard being Geelong, not getting as many unsporting advantages as they think they're entitled to. Still, I wonder about the tactical intelligence of Geelong's President, coach, captain and supporters constantly insisting that the players just don't have the character to compete at a neutral venue. I wonder if constantly being labelled pea hearts by those who are meant to be in your corner eventually becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.
Your team last year played 13 games at the MCG and 4 at Marvel, only one of which was as the home team. 7 games in a row to end the year at your home ground as well. So thirteen games at your home ground and for some reason out of all the seventeen other clubs the one that seems most aggrieved about Geelong playing games in Geelong is little old Richmond. Are you sure you don't see the irony in all of this? It's pretty blatant. :drunk:

I posted this elsewhere but it's probably relevant here too.

Has anyone seen the results of the Bundesliga? Home and away results are currently in favour of the away side. There is a lot less travel across Germany than Australia but teams are travelling every other week (as opposed to across Melbourne) to a genuine home ground advantage (and pitches do vary in size too) with partisan crowds.

As I haven't mentioned it yet results are as follows since the league went back:

(Home - Draw - Away)
Week 1: 1-3-5
Week 2: 2-2-5
Midweek games: 0-3-1
Week 3: 2-0-4

So overall results with no crowds currently sit at home wins five, draws five and away wins 15 (so far - more games tonight).

I'm sure leagues will have a good look across all sports to see any correlations but it does seem partisan crowds have a huge effect on match result (as suspected I guess). Before we get results from the AFL it could be argued that home ground should have no effect on results. It'll be interesting to see if home grounds (Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, GWS and Geelong) actually do provide a benefit with no crowds.

Nothing made up about that at all. Gale pregame was trying his darnedest to get the game rescheduled at the MCG, and post game Hardwick was having a fair old whinge about Kardinia Park and the crowd. It's hypocritical to think otherwise.
As I have said before (and I realise that the truth doesn't sit with your whinging victim narrative) Gale simply made the observation that, as Richmond is one of the biggest clubs in the land, why should they need to play at that sausage shaped ground this century more than Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn combined. The AFL said they wouldn't move it to a more appropriate venue, as we'd never hear the end of the whinging from the softest supporter group in the league. Richmond accepted it and got on with things. Ironically even so, we have never heard the end of winging from the softest, most spoilt and entitled supporters in the league.

Whinge on.

I went and I can tell you from the ‘tickets’ thread for that match the sentiment of ‘fu** the AFL’ was strong.

I don’t think you grasp just how fed up with not getting a full compliment of home matches AND playing home finals on our opponents venue we really are.
100%

And more pressure should be put on the Geelong Board. They're clearly not getting the results.

As I have said before (and I realise that the truth doesn't sit with your whinging victim narrative) Gale simply made the observation that, as Richmond is one of the biggest clubs in the land, why should they need to play at that sausage shaped ground this century more than Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn combined. The AFL said they wouldn't move it to a more appropriate venue, as we'd never hear the end of the whinging from the softest supporter group in the league. Richmond accepted it and got on with things. Ironically even so, we have never heard the end of winging from the softest, most spoilt and entitled supporters in the league.

Whinge on.
Funny because whenever it comes to the topic of Geelong and Kardinia Park, the opposition supporters that seem to feel the most affronted, at least on this website, are hands down the Richmond contingent. My only guess as to why is that having been brought up to worship a decrepit old cricket stadium, to have others not revere said decrepit cricket stadium in the same way can be a bit uncomfortable and confronting. Unfortunately that's something you and your ilk are going to have to learn to deal with and move past. Differing opinions are great, learn to accept that.

Back