Do GWS have a bright future?

Remove this Banner Ad

strange how a lot can happen in 3-5 years. your mob is likely to make a prelim. Suns.... 7 years and still no finals but have a core of 10-15,000 people a game

I note that GWS averaged home attendances of 13,196 this season, while the Suns had average home attendances of 13,663.

It's pretty good that the Giants are in the same ball park as the Suns. I would have viewed the Suns as our benchmark and what we want to be able to match on a regular basis.

The answer to the OP's original question remains a resounding yes.

I note that GWS averaged home attendances of 13,196 this season, while the Suns had average home attendances of 13,663.

It's pretty good that the Giants are in the same ball park as the Suns. I would have viewed the Suns as our benchmark and what we want to be able to match on a regular basis.

The answer to the OP's original question remains a resounding yes.

Do you think the GC crowds would more likely be boosted by southern supporters going up for a weekend or holiday in the sun, than the GWS crowds by interstate supporters? If you think so, wouldn't it make the GC position even more precarious in comparison?

Do you think the GC crowds would more likely be boosted by southern supporters going up for a weekend or holiday in the sun, than the GWS crowds by interstate supporters? If you think so, wouldn't it make the GC position even more precarious in comparison?

Not really.

ah there you are. still doing you soccer bashing crusade?

Is that soccer bashing that I think Gold Coast crowds being boosted by tourists doesn't make them more precarious?

Really wired obsession you have there

Edit: Still no response.

Last edited:

I'm sure a big factor in the afl and qld/ gold coasts commitment to the suns and Metricon was the very fact that there would be a substantial tourist impact. These tourist numbers seem less sensitive to gcs on field form than the clubs support numbers / members

I hope that explanation is ok

If you look at the results this year it varies more depending upon whether the travelling team expects a win or close game. Cats and Eagles generated bigger crowds at Spotless, whereas Magpies, Tigers and Bombers fans opted to head to the Gold Coast. It was very noticeable that there were less away fans at the Magpies game at Spotless this year compared to previous years, for example.

sure I do but you need to give up now and just accept the A-league will survive

What has this discussion got to do with whether the a league will survive or not?

You are hijacking a thread about the suns to bait a poster who you think has a negative attitude towards another sport that you prefer

Get a grip or go away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given GWS are premiership contenders and the Suns have been utter s**t for all but half a season of their existence, the comparison makes the Suns look pretty impressive.

Makes you wonder what the Suns would get if they were winning.

What has this discussion got to do with whether the a league will survive or not?

You are hijacking a thread about the suns to bait a poster who you think has a negative attitude towards another sport that you prefer

Get a grip or go away
you were one of the reasons why a crowd watch thread comparing other sports codes was closed down.

you were one of the reasons why a crowd watch thread comparing other sports codes was closed down.

Was I? That's news to me

Pretty sure there was an argument about weight for age issues in rugby league that led to that decision by the moderators

I've never said a bad word about soccer. I think it's a great sport. One of the nearest in quality to Australian football in skill and athleticicism

I think there is something seriously warped about a significant subset of Australian soccer fans though. Their fantasies of new world orders has collapsed into a toxic and paranoid hatred of australian football because of its increasing dominance. The kind that leads them to intervene in an argument about the viability of an Australian football club with soccer shoulder chip crap with no prompting whatsoever

Was I? That's news to me

Pretty sure there was an argument about weight for age issues in rugby league that led to that decision by the moderators

I've never said a bad word about soccer. I think it's a great sport. One of the nearest in quality to Australian football in skill and athleticicism

I think there is something seriously warped about a significant subset of Australian soccer fans though. Their fantasies of new world orders has collapsed into a toxic and paranoid hatred of australian football because of its increasing dominance. The kind that leads them to intervene in an argument about the viability of an Australian football club with soccer shoulder chip crap with no prompting whatsoever
you trolled soccer at a daily basis comparing the crowds to other sports.

you trolled soccer at a daily basis comparing the crowds to other sports.

So what, the original thread was meant to be about cross-code comparisons. Given the CEO's pronouncements, on a few occasions, that the A-League was heading towards being the number one comp in Australia, I would have thought some close scrutiny was more than warranted.

What do you care, you seem to be following every major soccer comp but not the A-League. In the words of Australian soccer fans, you are a Eurosnob.

So what, the original thread was meant to be about cross-code comparisons. Given the CEO's pronouncements, on a few occasions, that the A-League was heading towards being the number one comp in Australia, I would have thought some close scrutiny was more than warranted.

What do you care, you seem to be following every major soccer comp but not the A-League. In the words of Australian soccer fans, you are a Eurosnob.
Well last year, I bought my season ticket membership for Adelaide united. I will do it again this year

Given GWS are premiership contenders and the Suns have been utter s**t for all but half a season of their existence, the comparison makes the Suns look pretty impressive.

Makes you wonder what the Suns would get if they were winning.

They were getting sell outs or close to it a few years back when they looked like making finals for the first time. It's why the argument that they have no fans and they can't work is a ******* moronic one.

A Suns side competing for finals every year would have crowds comparible to North once Metricon has been fullly done up.

They were getting sell outs or close to it a few years back when they looked like making finals for the first time. It's why the argument that they have no fans and they can't work is a ******* moronic one.

A Suns side competing for finals every year would have crowds comparible to North once Metricon has been fullly done up.

they don't need to be comparable to Nth, just averaging 16k to 17k is good enough to consider it successful

Well I'm hoping the club has a bright future, having picked them up as my second team (after my beloved Doggies) once it became clear my stay in Sydney was going to be permanent.

The club seems to be doing quite a bit to entice families to join up - there's kick-to-kick on Spotless after most home matches (haven't seen that in Melbourne for years), players sent out of the clubhouse before and after matches to chat with fans, the usual endless free or cheap tickets thrown around the place to persuade more fairweather fans to come and see what the fuss is about, etc. I'm not sure if other clubs put in similar efforts to engage with their fans, but given GWS have the added challenge of getting notoriously lazy Sydneysiders to show up to matches (we barely get to League matches despite its popularity) it's the only sensible way of making the club more than the 'plastic marketing gimmick' critics like to claim it is.

Our recent form has been a massive help (I saw the membership figures in another thread, +38% boost since 2016), so time will tell if the current community programs will keep kids engaged when (not if) they start struggling again

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back