Do GWS have a bright future?

Remove this Banner Ad

they don't need to be comparable to Nth, just averaging 16k to 17k is good enough to consider it successful
you are thinking about now, I am thinking about 10-20 years down the track. Brisbane from 1990-1993 struggled to get 10,000 in a game. By 1996, they were getting 20,000 a game, partly due to making a prelim final that year. Swans struggled to get 8,000 people a game from 1992-4. After Sydney made a grand final in 1996, they were getting 25,000 people a game.

But thats peanuts compared to the AFL and NRL deals.The AFL deal alone is worth $430 million per year - now that is serious coin.

To be fair, Freomaniac doesn't seem like one of these soccer types that are violently desperate for (and / or delusionally convinced that) soccer is going to take over the sporting landscape in this country.

It's for these people that a $50 million annual TV deal, and the AFL's $430M for that matter, were massive kicks in the guts when a decade a go there was serious talk about the A League being worth more than the AFL within a decade.

But thats peanuts compared to the AFL and NRL deals.The AFL deal alone is worth $430 million per year - now that is serious coin.
I couldn't care less abut the Gap. FFA should be concerned with their sport and grow it at their pace, not at the NRL or AFLs pace
To be fair, Freomaniac doesn't seem like one of these soccer types that are violently desperate for (and / or delusionally convinced that) soccer is going to take over the sporting landscape in this country.

It's for these people that a $50 million annual TV deal, and the AFL's $430M for that matter, were massive kicks in the guts when a decade a go there was serious talk about the A League being worth more than the AFL within a decade.
My thoughts exactly. I am not deluded. Its not about the A-league trying to take over the NRL or AFL. A-league should be more about their territory and what they can and cant do with their Current TV rights deal.

I couldn't care less abut the Gap. FFA should be concerned with their sport and grow it at their pace, not at the NRL or AFLs pace
My thoughts exactly. I am not deluded. Its not about the A-league trying to take over the NRL or AFL. A-league should be more about their territory and what they can and cant do with their Current TV rights deal.

Tell that to deluded Lowy and co that clearly have delusions of grandeur!

Was I? That's news to me

Pretty sure there was an argument about weight for age issues in rugby league that led to that decision by the moderators

I've never said a bad word about soccer. I think it's a great sport. One of the nearest in quality to Australian football in skill and athleticicism

I think there is something seriously warped about a significant subset of Australian soccer fans though. Their fantasies of new world orders has collapsed into a toxic and paranoid hatred of australian football because of its increasing dominance. The kind that leads them to intervene in an argument about the viability of an Australian football club with soccer shoulder chip crap with no prompting whatsoever
Yep, AFL/Soccer players are so athletic they would cake walk over NRL, SR, American football players and NBA players with their combination of size, power and strength. :p

Skill tends to be different in each sport and rarely transferable.

So what, the original thread was meant to be about cross-code comparisons. Given the CEO's pronouncements, on a few occasions, that the A-League was heading towards being the number one comp in Australia, I would have thought some close scrutiny was more than warranted.

What do you care, you seem to be following every major soccer comp but not the A-League. In the words of Australian soccer fans, you are a Eurosnob.
I dont get this attitude.

Its not about being a snob its about having limited time and spending what time you have on the better product.

Its the same with all sports, people watch the best / better leagues, same with the AFL compared to lower leagues. Its not about being a snob its about what product gives the most entertainment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back