Do North deserve a priority pick?

Do you think North deserve a priority pick?

• No

• Maybe depends how the rest of the season pans out

• Yes pick 1-5

• Yes pick 6-10

• Yes pick 11-20

• Yes 2nd round pick

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

TheUnicorn

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Do you think North deserve a priority pick?

Gold Coast are the most recent team to receive a priority pick, having received a comprehensive assistance/rescue package by the AFL after a dreadful run in their first years in the comp.

Recently, Carlton were pressured externally to apply for a priority pick in light of a horrendous 2018 campaign, but their bid to receive one was rejected by the AFL Commission.

The Brisbane Lions were awarded a priority pick ahead of the 2016 free agency and trade period – an end-of-first-round pick, No. 19 overall in the draft.

So what are priority picks?
Put simply – they are additional draft picks, which are designed to give a boost to the poorest performing teams to help improve on-field performance.

How does a team receive a priority pick?
Previously a priority was given based on final finishing positions of teams. In 2012 the system was tweaked when all 18 clubs voted to revamp the criteria of priority picks in an attempt to avoid corruption.

The final decision is now at the complete discretion of the AFL as opposed to relating purely to finishing position.

Several factors determine whether a club is offered a priority draft pick:

The number of premiership points that a club has received over a period of years is taken into consideration, with greater weight being offered to more recent seasons.

A club’s point percentage (points for/points against x100) over a period of years is also taken into consideration. Again, there is an emphasis on recent seasons for weighting.

Finals appearances and premiership wins in recent seasons are also taken into account.

The AFL will also consider a club’s injury rates in each relevant season.

To eliminate tanking, the formula for priority picks is kept confidential by the AFL Commission.

The AFL may also offer priority picks to newly established expansion clubs to fast-track the club’s development. Clubs are typically required to apply for special consideration for the priority pick through the AFL commission.

Last edited:

IMO make the formula public over a 3-5 year period of performance.

No club is going to tank for multiple years to get an extra pick 10 or something like that.

I'm not a fan of the secret system.

Regarding North, I dont think they need it. Continually improving youth that just needs a fraction more time, next year I expect it's a big preseason for many, and the progression will come.

North gutted their list 2 years ago why reward them for doing that? Sure they had to cull the list but getting rid of the large amount of experienced players at once was always going to leave them vulnerable to this. The suggestion that teams won't tank if the formula is public is laughable if anything it incentives it

Have North not done similar to what Carlton did only a few years back? Moved on players to rebuild? Don't recall Carlton getting a priority pick then and don't think they deserved one either. Now look, 5-2 from the first 7 games.

I don't think priority picks should ever be given to a team no matter the circumstances. Just my opinion

Have North not done similar to what Carlton did only a few years back? Moved on players to rebuild? Don't recall Carlton getting a priority pick then and don't think they deserved one either. Now look, 5-2 from the first 7 games.

I don't think priority picks should ever be given to a team no matter the circumstances. Just my opinion
Well when you have received multiple picks like you it’s not worth giving you anymore

Whereas we haven’t had one ever

Well when you have received multiple picks like you it’s not worth giving you anymore

Whereas we haven’t had one ever
Cant keep living in the past. Priority picks should be abolished.

You actually have some outstanding youth. I think you'll be a very good team in a couple of years. It just takes time and patience.

Cant keep living in the past. Priority picks should be abolished.

You actually have some outstanding youth. I think you'll be a very good team in a couple of years. It just takes time and patience.
Abolished once everyone has had one for fairness

Clubs who have had one should not be eligible

Of course North deserve a PP. The logic that clubs don't deserve one because they've made previous mistakes in the draft/trade is such a flawed statement. People said that about the dees. 'oh they don't deserve a PP, they chose Cale Morton etc, so that's on them'. Most ridiculous logic. The reason clubs are down the bottom is because they haven't traded/drafted right. lol.

Clubs shouldn't be down the bottom of the ladder for so long. Increase the draft age to 19/20, so that kids can focus on their education and growing into their bodies more and then give these terrible clubs 1 or 2 PP's.

People saying no are just selfish/jealous. We're 7 rounds into the season and there's already about 6 clubs out of the finals race. It's not goo for the competition. Not to mention, the clubs that get to play these teams twice and getting huge % boosters that distorts the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My position on this is quite clear. Yes, absolutely and needs to be one in the 1-5 range.
So what about the other clubs in that range that get pushed back, how is it fair to 'punish' other clubs trying to rebuild without assistance?

What is to stop other bottom clubs from pushing out experienced players and going full youth knowing they will get belted each week?

Of course North deserve a PP. The logic that clubs don't deserve one because they've made previous mistakes in the draft/trade is such a flawed statement. People said that about the dees. 'oh they don't deserve a PP, they chose Cale Morton etc, so that's on them'. Most ridiculous logic. The reason clubs are down the bottom is because they haven't traded/drafted right. lol.

Clubs shouldn't be down the bottom of the ladder for so long. Increase the draft age to 19/20, so that kids can focus on their education and growing into their bodies more and then give these terrible clubs 1 or 2 PP's.

People saying no are just selfish/jealous. We're 7 rounds into the season and there's already about 6 clubs out of the finals race. It's not goo for the competition. Not to mention, the clubs that get to play these teams twice and getting huge % boosters that distorts the ladder.
It is a competition, teams should don't have a right to extra help. You want to be good? Get it right, the idea that everyone just has a right to being good is dumb.

It is a competition, teams should don't have a right to extra help. You want to be good? Get it right, the idea that everyone just has a right to being good is dumb.
True. I do agree. I just mean for extreme cases. I think over a 2-3 window. Also, if you're going to say no to priority picks yet gift Bulldogs Ugle-Hagan and Brisbane Ashcroft then that's extremely unfair. half of the dogs success is due to father son/nga.Same with Geelong. The competition is already unfair so I think PP's should be awarded.

True. I do agree. I just mean for extreme cases. I think over a 2-3 window. Also, if you're going to say no to priority picks yet gift Bulldogs Ugle-Hagan and Brisbane Ashcroft then that's extremely unfair. half of the dogs success is due to father son/nga.Same with Geelong. The competition is already unfair so I think PP's should be awarded.
Well i do agree with that part but instead of having pp's be a thing to balance it, i want all academies, pp's and father sons removed (unpopular opinion i know).

Academies can be funded by the AFL, if not at worst they need to change the rules around how the clubs having access to them.

This is a competition, i do not care about the feel good stories of father son.

No club deserves to be gifted more talent than other clubs just to compensate for mistakes.

It will never happen but priority picks should be removed.

Well i do agree with that part but instead of having pp's be a thing to balance it, i want all academies, pp's and father sons removed (unpopular opinion i know).

Academies can be funded by the AFL, if not at worst they need to change the rules around how the clubs having access to them.

This is a competition, i do not care about the feel good stories of father son.

No club deserves to be gifted more talent than other clubs just to compensate for mistakes.

It will never happen but priority picks should be removed.
I couldn't agree more. I think it should all be scrapped too. I couldn't give a stuff that Jack Silvagni's dad played for Carlton etc. Or melbourne has Taj Woewodin.

Why on earth do people declare they need a priority pick before the season plays out. What if they get on a roll and win 6 games in the second half of the season finishing with 7 wins. Then nobody would be talking priority picks.

The results should be allowed to play out and then discuss it after.

Oh dear. Why have a draft system at all or a salary cap or restrictions on player trade.

I s'pose you want an equal draw too where all teams play an equal number of times over a period, all teams get equal access to prime time fixturing and FTA coverage, no more blockbuster matches etc

Of course none of those things give some teams certain advantages...

Oh dear. Why have a draft system at all or a salary cap or restrictions on player trade.

I s'pose you want an equal draw too where all teams play an equal number of times over a period, all teams get equal access to prime time fixturing and FTA coverage, no more blockbuster matches etc

Of course none of those things give some teams certain advantages...
No because they are equalisation methods within a competition which allows teams to compete, when they draft well and develop well.

They are not hand outs.

Back