Do people actually like their team's official cheer squads?

Remove this Banner Ad

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just out of curiosity do you guys like your official cheer squads or not?

I'm a member who sits a couple bays over from our main cheer squad and they are so cringe worthy to listen to. The mundane chants that they have can be overlooked to a degree but the supporters themselves do my head in with their ridiculous bias and complete lack of understanding of the game or opposition.

Call me rude but I prefer not to have fatso in front row (cheer squad) being presented as the typical footy fan

Wish more young hip beautiful people were in cheer squad. Not some 40 year old adult baby

Like in other sports you think of blokes with alcohols fairly in shape having good time but in afl you think of people with weird hair cuts a tiger as necklace like last game and fat people.

Fire the camera man

I'd hardly call norths a cheer squad. Most of the time they sit there eating lollies. Except for ol grandma who runs up and down the aisle dropping c bombs everywhere.

This is a good parallel to the "how can we improve atmosphere at AFL games thread". I don't participate in cheer squads, but the more people we can get yelling and showing passion the better the atmosphere! Why sht on what others are doing??

Or perhaps, adults acting like 12 years old with some sort of mental impairment is not the best example for creating an atmosphere at AFL games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oi campaigner I'm IN the cheersquad. The Melbourne based one though.

I think away cheersquads like mine work well because we have one thing in common - no one to go to the footy with otherwise. So while there's some crazies, there's also a lot of people like me who just wants a friend.

If I was going to move back to Perth though I'd be out of the cheersquad in a heartbeat. They be crazy.

Do Richmond cheer squad members get free access to all home and away games and finals? Even if they only attend a few games? That's how it usually works.
Not the case with the Cats, you pay for your general admin membership, plus joining fee, then $10 a game on top of that.

I don't mind the cheer squad, the only way to improve it though is to join in! What I'm not a fan of is people in the cheer squad that refuse to cheer.

The carnie folk of football
This.
Cheers squads are normally society's dregs who try and run it as their own little racket within the squad.
The Bulldogs actually disbanded and re-formed the cheer squad a couple of years back because of issues.

This.
Cheers squads are normally society's dregs who try and run it as their own little racket within the squad.
The Bulldogs actually disbanded and re-formed the cheer squad a couple of years back because of issues.
What do you mean?
a391a24cc1bc18c4776c86981a798910

I can't look at cheersquads without cringing. Grown adults with face paint, morbidly obese with guts hanging out, lack of dental hygiene, awful chants/cheers, grandmas knitting.
If they were stunningly attractive genius's they would probably have better things to do, not too mention seats in a corporate box, how nice that there is a place for everyone in this World.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back