Do people think they're better than Umpires?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong

If the goal umpire felt it was Out of bounds he can stand there and refuse to signal and ask for a chat with the field umpire, say it was out of bounds before he kicked it at which stage the field umpire would check with the boundary, he would say he was too far behind and he would tell them to throw it in

But in this situation the goal umpire didnt think it was out, only the boundary 100m away

If you read the rest of the thread, he was talking about when the boundary ump ignores the goal ump's assist and rules the ball in play - overrule. (Therefore, the boundary would be in a good position.) If the boundary umpire is not in a clear position to tell, then the boundary umpire would be going with the goal ump's assist. But I do get what you're saying. If the field umpire knew the boundary umpire didn't see the signal and (the boundary ump) wasn't sure whether the ball was in or out, then there should be consultation before giving the score. In this case, after consultation, the boundary would signal OOB and a throw-in would result. A boundary umpire can overrule a goal ump on OOB. A goal ump can overrule a boundary ump on a score. For an overrule, an actual decision has to be made. It's not an overrule just because the umpire didn't see.

Although it is the field umpire job to start the consultation, if the goal umpire thought that both the boundary umpire and field umpire didn't see his call, and the FU and BU weren't in a position to make a decision, then common sense would dictate that the goal umpire should let the field umpire know before signalling, regardless of what the "official"procedure is. The official procedure assumes that the field umpire saw the goal umpire signal, therefore, the field umpire would check with the GU and BU before giving the all clear. In 99% of cases, the field ump does see the goal ump signal. It's the field ump job to be aware.

threw the ball up all day rather than bounce and one of them didn't even have his shirt tucked in.

Bouncing is not a necessity, I umpire Ammo's and don't bounce, although my shirt is tucked in. Bouncing is optional, and alot choose not to, because
a) it's not easy
b) last Saturday was wet
c) some people have bad backs etc.

This is of course, if we are talking about the same umpiring organization. Otherwise I may be wrong ;)

Bouncing is not a necessity, I umpire Ammo's and don't bounce, although my shirt is tucked in. Bouncing is optional, and alot choose not to, because
a) it's not easy
b) last Saturday was wet

This is of course, if we are talking about the same umpiring organization. Otherwise I may be wrong ;)
Given the state of some of the grounds we umpire on, who would want to bounce? We dont have perfect grounds like the AFL, ever umpired at Old Camberwell? :eek:

As for the shirt tucked in, it does come out, especially on those old uniforms we had, much prefer these ones, but even Scott McLaren ran around with his shirt out for a while on the weekend

Given the state of some of the grounds we umpire on, who would want to bounce? We dont have perfect grounds like the AFL, ever umpired at Old Camberwell? :eek:

As for the shirt tucked in, it does come out, especially on those old uniforms we had, much prefer these ones, but even Scott McLaren ran around with his shirt out for a while on the weekend
you should try umpiring at spotswood this weekend, the entire ground is a mud pie haha

I wanted to bounce at north footscray, was getting some real nice air and accuracy, until i bounced one straight into my head (warmup), lucky the ball was old and soft :eek:

a) it's not easy
b) last Saturday was wet

Yeah I know mate, wouldn't suggest bouncing on some of the ammos ground around the place. Merely making the point that there are differences between doing the job at one level, and then criticising those at the highest level because apparently the job is now easy. :)

Correct.....the goal umpire who stands at the point post with his arm up in the air and waits for the boundary umpire to see him, while the ball sails through for a goal will spend a while at a lower level.
Thats not what I suggested either

You go back, see the score, then when the ball is dead consult with the field umpire and boundary umpire

In this season off that I am having begrugingly, the one thing I haven't missed is the crap for the cretins on the other side of the fence.

It's strange that we are talking about this after an incident on the weekend at Sunshine where a teenage umpire got smacked in the face (allegedly). Talk about abuse...that's just bloody moronic.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of people in footy these days who seem to think that because they go along every week, they are given a free hit to lose their minds and go nuts.

Oh and Eddie..wasn't the rule with boundary decisions that you bloody well stay there if the boundary umpire doesn't call it...no matter whether the ball is through or not (as in keeping on umpiring) - you don't go putting up the arm and putting it back down to go into your next position.

Oh and Eddie..wasn't the rule with boundary decisions that you bloody well stay there if the boundary umpire doesn't call it...no matter whether the ball is through or not (as in keeping on umpiring) - you don't go putting up the arm and putting it back down to go into your next position.

The only time you stay there until acknowledged by the BU or FU is when the ball hits or travels over a behind post.

I couldnt remember if it was that or you always have to be in position for a score

I just saw something amazing in the Thomas case, the field umpire, who gave the all clear for the goal was just 10m behind Thomas, on the boundary line where the boundary umpire should have been and saw nothing in it, yet a boundary umpire has called it from further back?

Now surely if a field umpire is in better position he can call a ball out of bounds

Field Umpire can't call anything Out of Bounds.

It does happen sometimes, that the field umpire will call out of bounds before the boundary umpire has blown his whistle, but overall, and according to the laws the field umpire can't call anything out of bounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Field Umpire can't call anything Out of Bounds.

It does happen sometimes, that the field umpire will call out of bounds before the boundary umpire has blown his whistle, but overall, and according to the laws the field umpire can't call anything out of bounds.

Why does he give the all clear signal to the goal umpire?

If he can see that the ball is in or out then surely he would only give the all clear when it is actually all clear and there are no other decisions to be made, except for the score from the goal umpire.

If he observed that the ball was out, then surely he would know that the boundary umpire was going to make a decision and therefore he shouldn't have given the all clear because he would have thought/known that a decision was coming from the boundary umpire.

he doesn't give the all clear for an exact score, he just gives an all clear that everything is okay from what he can see and the goal umpire can go ahead and give his signal/s

i don't know why a field umpire can't help out a boundary umpire if the ball is in or out, it's just the way the laws are written. Same as boundary umpires can't help out with on the field decisions like high tackle and push in the back. They tried it for a couple of trial games though - field umpires in that regard generally didn't trust the boundary umpires or goal umpires enough to give them the power and boundary and goal umpires generally didn't trust their own abilities or have the confidence to make their own decisions regarding high tackles etc. etc.

In this season off that I am having begrugingly, the one thing I haven't missed is the crap for the cretins on the other side of the fence.

It's strange that we are talking about this after an incident on the weekend at Sunshine where a teenage umpire got smacked in the face (allegedly). Talk about abuse...that's just bloody moronic.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of people in footy these days who seem to think that because they go along every week, they are given a free hit to lose their minds and go nuts.

no, umpire returns to goal line if there is no responding signal from the boundary umpire (after 3 seconds i believe).
If there is a score, the goal umpire can consult the field umpire, at which point the boundary umpire will be called over, and the score will either be allowed or disallowed.

the goal umpire is the sole judge of scores.
the boundary umpire is the sole judge of the ball once it has passed over the boundaries of the field of play (boundary line duh :rolleyes:)
the field umpire is the sole judge of play within the boundary of play.
the field umpire CANNOT overrule a goal umpire, unless such an obvious mistake has happened (goal umpire signals a goal when it was touched before the line).
the field umpire CAN overrule the boundary umpire, but only by consult.
the field umpire CAN assist the boundary umpire, but it is still his/her call.
the goal umpire CANNOT make a call, or overrule a boundary umpires decision.
all umpires can make reports of misconduct within the field of play.

I hope this clears up some muddy water...
btw, i wasn't reading the rule book, i was recalling from memory :thumbsu:

I think some people do especially after they have had a few too many to drink.
As umpires we do cop a lot of s**t from the spectators in the crowd. In fact the spectators are costing many umpiring associations umpires.

I think some people do especially after they have had a few too many to drink.
As umpires we do cop a lot of s**t from the spectators in the crowd. In fact the spectators are costing many umpiring associations umpires.
Why would umpiring associations want people who cant cope with some abuse, you are supposed to be able to stand up to the pressure, if you cant put up with some abuse then what's the chances you will stand up to the pressure of a tight grand final?

Harden up or piss off would be my message to people who cant take the abuse

Why would umpiring associations want people who cant cope with some abuse, you are supposed to be able to stand up to the pressure, if you cant put up with some abuse then what's the chances you will stand up to the pressure of a tight grand final?

too true, far too true.

Harden up or ship out, simple as that.

But it is the abuse and fear that comes with umpiring country or metropolitan footy that turns people away, it's easy in an AFL or VFL or SANFL game, where the crowd is a long way away and you don't walk through the crowds to get to changerooms and so on. The only "rough stuff" as such you get in AFL, VFL etc. is from the media.

In country and local footy it is so much harder to deal with, where i umpire we walk through crowds and with players (sometimes upset) to get to changerooms and the lack of security is the problem. 99% of people can deal with being called a ******** by drunk strangers, it's the fear of being "killed" coming off the ground and that lack of security that drives people away.

So you're saying we should shut down some country competitions due lack of umpires, who don't want to be abused?

Illogical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back