Do supporters on here genuinely hate their team's rivals?

Remove this Banner Ad

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Do you guys believe people genuinely have a hatred for other teams, or do you feel it's all in the fun of a rivalry? Like, for example I don't legitimately hate the Eagles, but when it comes to the derbies I'll fire up the banter, I'd rather them win the flag over a Victorian team though. The only two rivalries I've seen that spark genuine hatred are Crows v Power and Blues vs Pies.

My wife has only ever berated me for screaming at the TV twice.

Easter Monday 2018 when we won by a point.

Last year's preliminary final when Geelong lead Richmond at half time.

3rd time will be either this week, the week after or the week after that. Until Geelong are eliminated.

It's real.

Hate is such a strong word, and if you possess it towards someone/something, it's utterly burdensome in my opinion. Definitely have felt it in the past towards some big Vicco teams, though it's never done me, nor anyone any favours.

A complete waste of energy, 'tis. It's only f'ing footy, at the end of the day.

Do you guys believe people genuinely have a hatred for other teams, or do you feel it's all in the fun of a rivalry? Like, for example I don't legitimately hate the Eagles, but when it comes to the derbies I'll fire up the banter, I'd rather them win the flag over a Victorian team though. The only two rivalries I've seen that spark genuine hatred are Crows v Power and Blues vs Pies.
difference between clubs with a hundred years of history vs 2 plastic franchises I suppose.

Nah. I dislike quite a few, swans, Carlton, hawthorn, tigers. Others get a passmark.

We need a final against each other to restart the rivalry. How different would most feel now had we met in the 2015 grand final?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

During a game if we are losing I hate Hawthorn, Collingwood, Richmond, occasionally Port, and to some extent west coast. Before and after I might dislike them a bit but it’s not hatred. I definitely don’t hate the players as chances are they’re just normal blokes like most people I know. I say some filthy things during games but once it’s over I forget about it.

And honestly even the in game hatred, it would probably dissipate a bit if it wasn’t for this place.

If you tried you could find 1-2 posters from each club that will make you desperate to beat them - I am probably that reason for a lot of non cats fans - but there is an element of ‘I’d love to win just so such and such f***s off for five minutes’ but most fans are reasonable so they don’t inspire that sort of feeling.

I’ll tell you who actually does make me want clubs to fail though - some of the presidents. Eddie especially because he is a bell end, but Kennett and Kochie to an extent. These guys obviously have a lot to do with how well their clubs are going off the field but they exude an air of ‘I did this’ when their sides are succeeding on it. And THAT makes me hate their sides occasionally

Nah, it's just fun. I only dislike Collingwood and Richmond because I've met a lot of obnoxious fans from those teams, but it's not a deep hatred, meeting nice fans from those teams would mellow me out a lot.

This basically happened to me. I never hated Brisbane but wasn't exactly fond of the Lions either, after a couple of GF losses.

Have lived in SEQ on and off for the past 15 years and got a little involved with junior footy up there for a couple of years. Met some really good eggs who love the Lions and are passionate about growing the game there. As a result I'm now kinda fond of the Lions and am happy to see them win when it's not against us. Supporters in QLD are the true believers and have to put up with a lot of crap from Rugby League nuffies.

Respect.

Last edited:
I can't speak to others, but I loathe Hawthorn on game day, and absolute love our rivalry the rest of the time. I will never support them over another team in a game that's not against us, but there is also a begrudging respect for how they've gone about it all these years.

We may dislike each other at times, but we also can't deny how well run our clubs are over the last 20 years - that's the feeling I get from people I know on both sides

I love Jesus and he says you should love your enemy, so when I see Saint Kildas or Bulldogs or Lions or Pies I pray to God and say "Have mercy on them!" instead.

Nah just kidding, * 'em. I hope their players get injuries, the club folds and their supporters have miserable lives.
So probably not "hate". "Not a fan of" is probably closer to the mark.

I hate GWS

Showing up to every game with that bloody drum, but at least it's not a bunch of bloody GWS pantone orange vuvuzelas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back