Do talented NSW/ACT/QLD/NT/Tas youngsters need to move to Vic?

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Despite being a premiership player with the Lions, Taylah Harris was still desperate to move to Victoria in order to improve her game.
Nathan Buckley spent one year with the Lions under Robert Walls (which he said he enjoyed). Of course, he left as soon as he could... because he wanted 'to play finals football'.

In order to boost their skills, endurance and fitness do talented NSW/ACT/QLD/NT/Tas teenagers with AFL aspirations also need to move to Vic?

My son is playing for QLD U16... three games against NSW/ACT, Tas and the NT.

Is this 'mickey mouse' compared to the Vic-metro/Vic country/SA/WA stuff?

Just how big a difference is there?

59106156_2127917167286485_2992162831605956608_n.jpg

Last edited:

Lensen

You've ruined the act, GOB
Feb 23, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I don't know the answer, although with the academies now in play id doubt it. Yes more get drafted from Victoria but it's likely most Qld state footballers wouldn't get a look in to either Vic state side either

But the two examples you've posted could not be more irrelevant. One 25 years ago with a player who'd already made it wanting to leave a then basketcase - and the other is a women specific issue where most of the year they play in a comp other than the AFLW and in Queensland this has no link to their AFLW club where in Victoria it does

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't know the answer, although with the academies now in play id doubt it. Yes more get drafted from Victoria but it's likely most Qld state footballers wouldn't get a look in to either Vic state side either

But the two examples you've posted could not be more irrelevant. One 25 years ago with a player who'd already made it wanting to leave a then basketcase - and the other is a women specific issue where most of the year they play in a comp other than the AFLW and in Queensland this has no link to their AFLW club where in Victoria it does

I think the Taylah Harris example is relevant... She's going to be playing regular footy at a much higher standard than what we have here in the QAFLW.

Similarly for an U16 player in Brisbane... He may be playing QAFL... but is that really anywhere near the week-in week-out quality in Melbourne?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Isaac Cumming stayed home in Broken Hill until he was drafted. He was assisted by the academy and accessed rep footy and NEAFL as well as coaching that way. I believe he's the first not to take a scholarship from a SANFL club and play underage footy there or a Victorian school and access TAC cup. Nick Shipley and Kieran Briggs are Sydney lads who've come through the academy and not left NSW.

So my answer is from Metrop areas in NSW at least definitely not, and from remote areas not really.

Some driven kids with the opportunity may well still attend boarding schools interstate with a strong Aussie rules culture and tradition though.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I think the Taylah Harris example is relevant... She's going to be playing regular footy at a much higher standard than what we have here in the QAFLW.

Similarly for an U16 player in Brisbane... He may be playing QAFL... but is that really anywhere near the week-in week-out quality in Melbourne?

Possible that it makes a difference, but to date there hasn't been Victorian domination of the AFLW. Far from it, only 2 of the 6 grand finalists have been Victorian teams, with 1 of them arguably only there due to the flawed conference system. Time will tell though.

If you're a bloke, i'd guess that if you're good enough you find a level higher. eg. 16 and 17 year olds playing state league level, which would be a significantly higher standard than underage footy in Victoria. As I understand it the 4 NSW and Queensland AFL reserves teams top up with players from their academy. TBH, i'd be surprised if you didn't get a better level of coaching at an AFL club academy than you would at a TAC Cup team.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Some driven kids with the opportunity may well still attend boarding schools interstate with a strong Aussie rules culture and tradition though.

Not sure how often kids move interstate, but here is an example of how it can play out in WA
https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/s...fl-draft-prospect-jeremy-sharp-ng-b881186014z
Likely first-round AFL draft prospect Jeremy Sharp will play school football rather than for the East Fremantle league team as he prepares for the national under 18s championship.

The school in question has had the Cameron brothers boarding over recent years & both were drafted.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Not sure how often kids move interstate, but here is an example of how it can play out in WA
https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/s...fl-draft-prospect-jeremy-sharp-ng-b881186014z
Likely first-round AFL draft prospect Jeremy Sharp will play school football rather than for the East Fremantle league team as he prepares for the national under 18s championship.

The school in question has had the Cameron brothers boarding over recent years & both were drafted.

Patrick Cripps younger brother has made the firsts in year 11:
PATRICK Cripps' younger brother, Joshua, has emerged as the latest ... The 198cm ruckman is a developing big man at Aquinas College in ...
Another Northampton boy, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northampton,_Western_Australia

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
If you are over 18 and haven't been drafted yet in Tasmania, then you have to move to another state if you wish to play AFL.

Jay Lockhart is another Tasmanian who moved to the VFL to keep his AFL dream alive. Ben Brown is the biggest example.

Guess that reflects on the recruiting process, are clubs well served by their recruiters??

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I wonder how much is invested in kids outside the system, the likes of Liam Ryan from up your way Al, from his first few games in Subi reserves people took interest.
Mate i see kids playing here that are superstars waiting to happen.

One 14 yo boy in particular was as freakishly talented as anyone ive ever seen - could have five kids going for the ball and hed come out with it spinning and weaving - just magic - and the further north you go the more you see like it.

If you could harness all the aboriginal football talent in northern wa there wouldnt be many whitefullas playing footy

Theres stephen michaels, maurice riolis and krakouer brothers and more just sitting there untapped.

Back