Do the Dogs have an issue with indigenous players?

Remove this Banner Ad

My view

Back 10-15 years ago or so we had quite a lot of indigenous players on our list, Scott Clayton, our then long-term list manager absolutely loved taking an indigenous small/flanker type

Unfortunately many didn't make the grade for us over the years, some showed glimpses, but ultimately didn't pan out

Off the top of my head we had

Cam Faulkner
Steven Koops
Malcolm Lynch
Jarrod Harbrow (easily our best of the lot, but wanted out to be closer to his sick brother or something)
Josh Hill (2nd best of the lot, but many questioned his desire to win a hard ball)
Liam Jones (3rd best out of the lot, ultimately not really helped by rebuilding under McCartney and a lack of support as a KPF saw him much maligned)
Brennan Stack
Shane Thorne (left after a season due to homesickness)
Zephy Skinner
Brett Goodes (solid role player for 3 years, his age didn't help though for the long-term)
Koby Stevens (solid role player for 4 years, but left for greater opportunity)

We only have one on our list currently in Brad Lynch and he's just a depth player, he played a bit last year, but soft tissue injuries have hurt his continuity IIRC.

I'm pretty sure we would've drafted Ben Long if he were available as he was at Footscray in the VFL in 2016, but St Kilda pounced on him at pick 25 I think, well before we had our second pick (took English at 18 IIRC).

Imo we've treated our indigenous players like any other player on the list, who knows if they got extra support while at the club, but I feel they were treated like any other player on our list, you perform, you stay and are a valued player at the club, you don't perform then you get moved on.

I feel in recent seasons we've gone away from drafting unproven indigenous kids to trying to recruit established indigenous AFL players. I feel that the club is very wary that many have not worked out over the years for whatever reason and want to only take sure bets that someone will come and be there for the long haul.

Potentially we are banking on that decent fish we trade in can start an indigenous culture perhaps? Who knows how it plays out. But I do know we are definitely not as keen come draft time on indigenous types than other clubs, just feel like the club feels like they've been burnt in that regard. Potentially this has hurt us in recent seasons chasing Impey, Wingard, Martin etc though.

I'd like to see a bigger representation of multiculturalism and indigenous players not only in the Bulldogs, but across the AFL in general. We have a long way to go, as a society, before people get their head around inclusion/fairness and dump the 1950's attitudes of marginalisation.
Indigenous players are overrepresented in the afl by 10 to 1. Roughly 10 % of afl players are indigenous. Only 1% of the australian population is indigenous.

This over representation has to be balanced by an underrepresentation elsewhere - this may be caucasians, asians, Africans or arabs.

OP is a North supporter trying to create a problem where there isn't one.

But hey, keep the articles in the paper going, it'll help disincentivize the AFL from making changes to the nextgen academy. We have an aboriginal kid called Jamarra Ugle-Hagan coming through, who's being compared to Buddy and will likely go pick #1 next year. The AFL wouldn't want to strip away our chance to bring in an aboriginal player now after all the trouble we have bringing them in, would they? Especially after gifting North Melbourne Tarryn Thomas when they put 0 work into developing him.

If I read this correctly the HUN is stating that Impey, Wingard and Mitchell made their decision based on the racial profile at prospective clubs. That is, if their specific racial background wasn’t evident on a player list that they dismissed that club as a possibility.

Indigenous players are overrepresented in the afl by 10 to 1. Roughly 10 % of afl players are indigenous. Only 1% of the australian population is indigenous.

This over representation has to be balanced by an underrepresentation elsewhere - this may be caucasians, asians, Africans or arabs.
They actually represent 3.3% of the Australian population. Still overrepresented, but 3x rather than 10x.

If I had to guess, I'd say Asians and Arabs are way underrepresented in the AFL compared to their share of the total population, but then you get into the debate over what it means to really be "underrepresented". If none of them have an interest in footy in the first place (e.g. most seem to gravitate towards other sports like Soccer) then it's not like they're being deprived of opportunity. Looking at junior footy these days, it seems like more and more non-white and non-indigenous kids are taking up the sport, but this is something that won't be reflected in the AFL for at least a decade, if not longer.

Based on the article from the OP, shouldn’t the question be...

Do indigenous players have an issue with the Dogs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP is a North supporter trying to create a problem where there isn't one.

But hey, keep the articles in the paper going, it'll help disincentivize the AFL from making changes to the nextgen academy. We have an aboriginal kid called Jamarra Ugle-Hagan coming through, who's being compared to Buddy and will likely go pick #1 next year. The AFL wouldn't want to strip away our chance to bring in an aboriginal player now after all the trouble we have bringing them in, would they? Especially after gifting North Melbourne Tarryn Thomas when they put 0 work into developing him.

I can't wait to revisit this thread when your sure-thing, next Buddy Franklin named Jamarra Ugle-Hagan wins his fifth or sixth Coleman Medal. You've really built him up, I'm sure it'll end well.

I can't wait to revisit this thread when your sure-thing, next Buddy Franklin named Jamarra Ugle-Hagan wins his fifth or sixth Coleman Medal. You've really built him up, I'm sure it'll end well.
s**t post. It's not RonanG building him up, it's the AFL media. No one is saying he's going to be as good as Buddy, just that he has similar attributes (size, style) and is touted as a top pick.

Yet again no one has said that. But you know that anyway.

You don't think he'll go well? I have to say, my confidence is shaken if you don't believe in him.

I can't wait to revisit this thread when North win their next premiersh-... wait, I'll probably be dead.

I can't wait to revisit this thread when North win their next premiersh-... wait, I'll probably be dead.

Are you unwell? PM me, sorry to hear mate

Are you unwell? PM me, sorry to hear mate
I'm perfectly healthy actually. Not even that old either, at least not as old as North Melbourne's best players.

At the very least, I'm sure I'll be alive to see the birth of the Hobart Kangaroos.

I'm perfectly healthy actually. Not even that old either, at least not as old as North Melbourne's best players.

At the very least, I'm sure I'll be alive to see the birth of the Hobart Kangaroos.

Why would you be dead when we win our next premiership then? Do you mean that the length of time until our next one will exceed the length of your life?

Why would you be dead when we win our next premiership then? Do you mean that the length of time until our next one will exceed the length of your life?
I'm saying by the time I'm dead, there won't be a "North Melbourne" anymore. Between now and that fateful day, your club won't be winning anything.

By all means though, keep the envy up. While we have one of the best young teams in the competition, and one of the best young players coming through the 2020 draft, I'm sure you'll be ready to whine about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back