Do the Dogs have an issue with indigenous players?

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is silly, the Dogs have an excellent recruiting team who have drafted a number of quality players.

In terms of finals teams (and apologies if I've missed anyone);

West Coast: 3 - 2 local boys
Essendon: 1 - An adopted Victorian who came through their VFL team

Geelong: 3 - all drafted recently
Collingwood: 0

GWS: 1
Dogs:0

Bris: 2 - both traded to the Lions for personal reasons wanting to be in Brisbane
Rich: 3 - 1 veteran player, 2 drafted recently with high(ish) picks

Without a large Indigenous population in Victoria there's not going to be a lot of Indigenous players traded to Vic sides - it's unlikely to see a go home factor - and when those players come up there will be a lot of competition for them if they are good players. The Dogs seemed to have missed out but that's just how it goes sometimes. Similarly all a club can ask their recruiters to do is to pick good players and the Dogs have done that. If their draft picks had fallen in different spots they might've picked a bunch of Indigenous players.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
This is silly, the Dogs have an excellent recruiting team who have drafted a number of quality players.

In terms of finals teams (and apologies if I've missed anyone);

West Coast: 3 - 2 local boys
Essendon: 1 - An adopted Victorian who came through their VFL team

Geelong: 3 - all drafted recently
Collingwood: 0

GWS: 1
Dogs:0

Bris: 2 - both traded to the Lions for personal reasons wanting to be in Brisbane
Rich: 3 - 1 veteran player, 2 drafted recently with high(ish) picks

Without a large Indigenous population in Victoria there's not going to be a lot of Indigenous players traded to Vic sides - it's unlikely to see a go home factor - and when those players come up there will be a lot of competition for them if they are good players. The Dogs seemed to have missed out but that's just how it goes sometimes. Similarly all a club can ask their recruiters to do is to pick good players and the Dogs have done that. If their draft picks had fallen in different spots they might've picked a bunch of Indigenous players.

they dont have to draft them from victoria

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Didn't Hawthorn not have an indigenous player in their entire history until Chance Bateman?? I'm sure this is only a temporary thing.
It only takes drafting or rookie listing a young indigenous star to fix that issue and i'm sure if there is a player available who is similar to Jack Martin in the draft then the Dogs will consider it.

trying to jack up carlton price perhaps
Didn't work and we stuck to our guns which was well below the Dogs offer.

Happy he chose us on a reduced salary honestly and is not just chasing the money but more team environment on where he thinks he will fit in the best.

He has huge upside and i know most Carlton supporters are welcoming him with open arms in what is our greatest area of need talent wise regarding small forwards who are versatile and can play elsewhere.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Happy he chose us on a reduced salary honestly and is not just chasing the money but more team environment on where he thinks he will fit in the best.

He has huge upside and i know most Carlton supporters are welcoming him with open arms in what is our greatest area of need talent wise regarding small forwards who are versatile and can play elsewhere.

I can envision Jack M tearing it up from the wing and deliving the pill, lace out into the arms of Harry or Charlie. Will sell more sweets than the Candyman from Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. Love his swag and evasive manouevers.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Wouldnt be a better Carlton story if you made it all up.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Indigenous players tend to enjoy playing together which is totally understandable. Having a respected mature age indigenous player joining the Dogs team would help to attract more talent, as would drafting two or three indigenous players in the same draft. However until they do so it's not an 'issue' as such having a lack of indigenous players at the club.

Teams like Essendon and Richmond have generally not had a problem recruiting indigenous players to the club as they have a long established history of close ties with the community, whereas the Dogs haven't quite got the same reputation yet but this will no doubt change with time.

Back