Do the Eagles have the best club song in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca81

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2012
Maylands
AFL Club
West Coast
Was a rhetorical question... of course we do.

Its time to put to bed this nonsense that our club song is the worst in the AFL. Every time you read our game day threads and we get up for a win there is the predictable replies of how crap the song is, etc. When in fact, if you break it down the West Coast Eagles have arguably the best song of all 18 teams. Heres why.

Our club was born in the 80's, and true to form - it sounds like a cheesy 80's song. Its authentic. Its genuine. Its real. People on bigfooty seem to have formed this popular opinion that GWS have a great song. Actually its rubbish. Theyve tried to make it sound like their song (and therefore their club) was created in the 1900's with lots of history when everyone knows their team was just created a handful of years ago. Its misleading and try-hard. Our Eagles song came out the same year as Rick Astleys "Never Gonna Give You Up". That song hasnt aged well and for a while it was used to troll people, otherwise known as Rick-rollling someone. Well guess what - every time our club has a win we are trolling YOU. Every thought of that?

And another thing - the lyrics are perfect. The first 2 sentences tell you who we are, just in case you werent listening the first time. Then we state what we're doing by ASKING A QUESTION. It then includes a reference to popular 80's TV show Sesame Street with a shoutout to big bird. And to top it off the song finishes with "We're flying high", an amazing prediction that our players would have great success despite being weighed down with drug cultural issues. Overcoming adversity and chasing dreams.

So the next time we get up for a classic win and you lot feel the need to declare how awful you think our song is, just remember that many of us are PROUD of our club and sing the song with glee. Cos you know what, in the words of Quentin Lynch - its F##KING AWESOME.

Its time to put to bed this nonsense that our club song is the worst in the AFL. Every time you read our game day threads and we get up for a win there is the predictable replies of how crap the song is, etc. When in fact, if you break it down the West Coast Eagles have arguably the best song of all 18 teams. Heres why.

Our club was born in the 80's, and true to form - it sounds like a cheesy 80's song. Its authentic. Its genuine. Its real. People on bigfooty seem to have formed this popular opinion that GWS have a great song. Actually its rubbish. Theyve tried to make it sound like their song (and therefore their club) was created in the 1900's with lots of history when everyone knows their team was just created a handful of years ago. Its misleading and try-hard. Our Eagles song came out the same year as Rick Astleys "Never Gonna Give You Up". That song hasnt aged well and for a while it was used to troll people, otherwise known as Rick-rollling someone. Well guess what - every time our club has a win we are trolling YOU. Every thought of that?

And another thing - the lyrics are perfect. The first 2 sentences tell you who we are, just in case you werent listening the first time. Then we state what we're doing by ASKING A QUESTION. It then includes a reference to popular 80's TV show Sesame Street with a shoutout to big bird. And to top it off the song finishes with "We're flying high", an amazing prediction that our players would have great success despite being weighed down with drug cultural issues. Overcoming adversity and chasing dreams.

So the next time we get up for a classic win and you lot feel the need to declare how awful you think our song is, just remember that many of us are PROUD of our club and sing the song with glee. Cos you know what, in the words of Quentin Lynch - its F##KING AWESOME.

lol, great post. Not sure if being mirthful or serious, but I had a giggle.

Bring back the original full version. Who can't love a song that threatens to give you Merry Hell ?

Can confirm the Giants song is quite popular, though I'm not personally a fan.

Would have the Eagles mid-range. Top few as such:

1. Richmond
  2. Melbourne
  3. Collingwood
  4. Hawthorn
  5. Essendon
  6. Sydney
  7. Port Adelaide
  8. North Melbourne
Throw a blanket over the rest. Except Freo. * Freo. Have only heard the GC song once, also, so can't judge.

Tigers and GWS are 1 and 2.
Hawthorn next but probably a biased call.
The interstate teams have been shafted a little bit. I rate the classic Victorian ones above all of them aside from the Giants.
Brisbane's is still pretty good though.

Tigers and GWS are 1 and 2.
Hawthorn next but probably a biased call.
The interstate teams have been shafted a little bit. I rate the classic Victorian ones above all of them aside from the Giants.
Brisbane's is still pretty good though.

Yeah cos the classic ones aren't original haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh, the one song that gets stuck in my head is collingwoods song, so it must be the best. I hate the pies but I find myself walking around the house humming "good old collingwoodddd"

kill me.

and Freo's is terrible. Not saying that because I'm a WC fan, but it sounds like a military parade from communist Russia.

I know you’re taking the piss, but at least make it funny.

Whilst I accept the WCE as a strong and successful club, the aura I felt back in 87 (as a school kid) was "manufactured state side" and definitely not "real" and "authentic". I love the passion WA and SA have for football but wish we had actual WAFL/SANFL clubs enter the comp - who knows, perhaps there could now be a few more teams across WA/SA rather than GC and GWS. And in areas where football means something to people.

Tbh, the one song that gets stuck in my head is collingwoods song, so it must be the best. I hate the pies but I find myself walking around the house humming "good old collingwoodddd"

kill me.

and Freo's is terrible. Not saying that because I'm a WC fan, but it sounds like a military parade from communist Russia.

Can you hear that CCooooollllllliiiinnnggggggwwwwooooooodddddd chant? Does it give you nightmares of Joffa and a gold jacket?

Whilst I accept the WCE as a strong and successful club, the aura I felt back in 87 (as a school kid) was "manufactured state side" and definitely not "real" and "authentic". I love the passion WA and SA have for football but wish we had actual WAFL/SANFL clubs enter the comp - who knows, perhaps there could now be a few more teams across WA/SA rather than GC and GWS. And in areas where football means something to people.

We wanted a WAFL club to join, but the WAFL are quite an arrogant bunch. Same reason why WC have had to fight tooth and nail to get their own affiliate team.

Well, it is based on a Russian folk song.

Worst in my opinion are Gold Coast (trying too hard, sounds like a news bulletin, lyrics are dumb), West Coast (lyrics are like a kids song) and Hawthorn (doesn't convey any power, honour or emotion to me, just really bland).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back