Do umpires screw Glass??

Remove this Banner Ad

they screw everyone. . . . its their job. . . . footy is secondary

sh1t happens both ways

the umpiring was ok in the game - particularly given it was greasy

i liked the way they paid kicks to the bloke with the head over the ball

glass has copped a couple of bad ones - but it goes both way over time

umps didn't affect the result today so banging on about it does nothing

Bang on sir.. Well said. It sucked both ways.

Lets move on, bring on the derby!

If i could have 1 player at Hawthorn Glass would probably be the one.

We lack key defenders and he is about the best there is. I rate him higher than Scarlett.

+1.

Is a gun, the best FB in the comp. Had Buddy's measure tonight. Normally when, on the extraordinarily rare occasion that Buddy and his opponent get isolated one-out, I think this is as good as in the bag (for a shot on goal anyway). Tonight when that occurred, Glass was just too strong and outbodied him consistently. And very rarely do you see Buddy outbodied these days.

Good to see Glass back to his AA best.:thumbsu:

No suprise to see Buddy diving for frees late in the game.Glass thrashed him all day and the only way Buddy could beat him was by cheating.

Hopefully Collingwood take a DVD of the Hawks cheating to the umps before they play them.

:D

The rules talk about contact permitted when making a legitimate attempt to mark the football. Glass did not make any legitimate attempt, he just stuck his hands in the air, after he had bumped Buddy out of the contest with a hip to the back. I think the umpire would have let it go if Glass had at least tried to mark it.

'tis all about consistency, and the umpiring thus far is as consistent as my sick dog's turds. Glass was screwed today/again. Holy crap, that is scary!

You have to be kidding Glass averages a total of one free kick against him every two weeks , across his career. How is that being screwed by umpires??

The late free to Buddy at the top of the square was, I thought a bit soft but I have no doubt it was there.

Remember you do not have to use your hands to be judged to have pushed in the back.

My reasoning, Buddy was already slightly under the ball, Glass had his measure and Buddy wasn't timing things well, Glass's mistake was he played the man instead of keeping his eyes on the ball. If he had just gone for the mark he could have just about grabbed it on his chest, Franklin was alread out of possition.

Umpire saw it as clearly as I did, bad timing for Eagles, but obvious ones have to be paid.

is it just me, or does darren glass get screwed by the umpires more than any other player. every time i see him get a goal kicked against him, its from a soft, ridiculous free kick. i seriosuly think he is the best one on one defender in the league, but gets screwed over all the time....... so does collingwood by the way, but who's complaining.

ps. i hate alan toovey

Nah it's just you. He has been on the end of a couple of toughies though.

ps. I hate Toovey as well!!! Should be in the ressies next week.

Glass v Franklin is the opposite of a Ablett v Judd duel. Where Judd and Ablett are the protected species, Glass and Franklin are fair game and thus even when there is no free kick, one of them will be seen to have infringed at every 1 on 1 contest.

Glass (indeed all defenders) get a very good run against Franklin and Roughie.
Glass had outpointed/bodied Franklin all day.
Glass had gotten away with quite a bit of 'pushing' and 'scragging' all day.
McLaren was umpiring.

When he paid the free, I was worried if Franklin would ever play again! :D

s**t decision, but to the OP, no.

Everytime a Geelong supporter posts in an anti-Hawthorn thread it makes we feel warm and happy inside. Thanks Ruddeger :thumbsu:

As for the free kick? Clear push in the back, correct decision and would have been paid at either end of the ground.

Really!!
The Umps had half a dozen oppurtunities to pay tiggy free kicks in the Eagles forward line similar to the couple the hawks got but chose not too.

I said it in another thread but I think that Glass shot himself in the foot in that contest by throwing his arms up in the air which made him look guilty.

He wasn't but the umpire saw Buddy fly forwards and Glass throw his arms up and just assumed that Glass must have illegally pushed him out and thrown his arms up to try to look innocent.

And the reason he throwed his arms up in the air with clenched fists was he was trying to show the idiot of an umpire there was no way he had hands in Buddy's back.:mad:

The contact on Buddy was Glass's body working him under the ball, Buddy played for the free and got it.

Another free against Glass was when he had one arm with a clenched fist about stomach high against Buddy whilst he used his other arm to punch the ball in a marking contest. FFS that was as soft as they come as well, in this game a defender isn't allowed to even touch his opponent.

Soft as baby sh!t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When will Dumbmetriou and the AFL listen to the coaches, the players and the fans and just admitt the hands in the back rule is crap, the AFL isn't perfect and made a mistake.

I was more disgusted with the ruck frees both ways. In the last qrter Cox simply out manouvered a smaller less experienced opponent and got pinged, ball went straight up the guts and the Hawks scored. Likewise earlier Cox received a free and for the life of me couldn't understand how or why.

At the end of the day it goes each way but soft free kicks really do give all supporters the sh!ts and detracts from the specticle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really!!
The Umps had half a dozen oppurtunities to pay tiggy free kicks in the Eagles forward line similar to the couple the hawks got but chose not too.

Exactly, Lynch and Butler put their heads over the ball and almost had their heads snapped off by a Hawks player slidding in high and late but got SFA.

Lynch gets monstered on the lead every week but gets 1 in 10 paid if he's lucky.

In the end I thought we lost it due to several dumb plays in defense, B Jones, Nicoski and Brown all made stupid basic stuff ups which cost goals. Instead of ensuring the ball went away from the goals to the boundary line they allowed the ball to be centered and it cost goals.

Poor decisions by our players have now cost us a second away win this year. On the bright side if / when we fix this up we are not far away from winning away.:cool:

Of course he gets raped. Darren Glass is the best full back in the competition one on one. He's incredibly strong and always gives a contest.

If he ran off like Scartlett does to receive cheap possessions the argument for the greatest full back of the 2000's wouldn't even exist.

A pleasure to watch a bona fide defender play.

You have to be kidding Glass averages a total of one free kick against him every two weeks , across his career. How is that being screwed by umpires??

You obviously don't realise it but your argument supports that Glass was hard done by, thanks for confirming he gives away very few free kicks, so why did so many soft ones get paid against him today?

For someone who rarely gives them away he had a bad day out today:mad:

Reading this headline, I sure do hope the West Coast ruckman doesn't get a bad run with umpiring decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back