- Aug 22, 2009
- AFL Club
- Other Teams
noone is moving the day the melbourne cup is onI'm not sure how completely this has been thought through, but the public holiday has been moved to October 23.
Lockdown ends on October 26 (yes I know that is the earliest possible date, but still). Cup weekend is the following weekend.
So, we get a long weekend but can't go anywhere, or do anything. Then the following weekend, when we could go away, we hvae to work on the Monday.
There's just so much stupidity here:
- Cup Day being a public holiday on a Tuesday is stupid (yes, I know the race is on Tuesday, but neither the race nor the public holiday HAVE to be on a Tuesday)
- We haven't had a public holiday since June. The September public holiday, as silly as Grand Final Day is as a reason, actually fills a pretty necessary gap in terms of giving people a break. Even more sensible this year, given lots of people haven't had a holiday, and the added stresses faced. So of course, we're removing that break...
- And shifting it to a week before the next public holiday, for some reason...
- And running it to align with the last weekend of lockdown, for some reason...
- instead of converting the following weekend, when travel will be allowed, to a 4-day weekend, thus providing everyone with the de-stress, travel, party opportunity they so desperately need
there is this thing called tradition, and contrary to millennial thinking, its longer than 5 years and actually worth preserving