Do we have the best KPP talent in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

SuperHooper

Senior List
Sep 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi,

Looking at the players we have drafted in the past several drafts, I think we have collected the best young KPP talent in the league. The oldest on the list is 22.

Forwards
(AA Quality) Eric Hipwood
(AA Quality) Josh Schache
Connor Ballenden
Michael Close
Jonathan Freeman

Defenders
(AA Quality) Darcy Gardiner
(AA Quality) Harris Andrews
(AA Quality) Daniel Mcstay
Sam Skinner
Jack Frost

I think it is dangerous to put "AA quality" on guys who are still proving themselves. I don't think any of our key position types have shown they are AA quality. Perhaps we could say that we've seen enough to suggest that, all things going to plan, they might reach that level (although I'd perhaps argue that with Gardiner, McStay and perhaps even Schache on exposed form).

I definitely think we've got the most promising group of youngsters in the key position roles.

What I mean by AA Quality is, I believe these players have the attributes to be all Australians. Hipwood has the height and athleticism to rival buddy franklin. Schache the size and footy brains. Gardiner the tenacity and mean streak to be that tight checking defender. Andrews is already showing signs of his leadership and just capability on the best forwards. His also a giant at 202cm. I also think Mcstay is so clean in the forward and back role. His a true swingman and is a nice size.

Not really a good indication of a defenders capabilities considering the type of teams and pressure we have field in the last several years.

But, I think its just nice to finally have some players to fill out the spine since we have had barely any quality in this area since 2012. It's nice we are building a good list of KPP talent first.

But, I think its just nice to finally having some players to fill out the spine since we have barely only quality in this area since 2012. It's nice we are building a good list of KPP talent first.

We just need to keep them together.

Yep probs the most promising group of young talls but trying to keep a lid on it for now.

Chances are, as exciting as they are, some of them wont become the players we think they can be for a variety of reasons.

However Andrews has probably done enough to suggest he can be a 200 gamer and be in the top group of key defenders at some point.

Gardiner looks lik he will hold down a third tall role for quite some time, but I doubt he will be talked about regarding AA.

McStay could be anything or nothing at this point.

Hipwood is very exciting but very raw. He has shown more than plenty of others at this point but will have to continue to grow and adapt as he meets the challenges of gaining weight, keeping fit, dealing with being double teamed, fluctuating accuracy in front of goals.and a myriad of other issues that make his position the toughest in the game.

Schache is tracking well but hasent done anything yet to make the competition sit up and take notice. His accuracy in front if goals hasnt transfered to the AFL.and he was marking the ball better at the begining of last year than he is now. Perfectly natural for a big lump of a key forward to have ups and downs for there first few years though so he has time on his side.

Close and Freeman havent shown they can become regular AFL players yet and it is quite likely neither is at our club in a year or two.

Just my thoughts.

Hi,

Looking at the players we have drafted in the past several drafts, I think we have collected the best young KPP talent in the league. The oldest on the list is 22.

Forwards
(AA Quality) Eric Hipwood
Connor Ballenden
Michael Close

Defenders
(AA Quality) Darcy Gardiner
(AA Quality) Harris Andrews
Sam Skinner
Jack Frost

Above is what could it could possibly look like next year.

Let's focus on signing players first.

If we were based in Victoria then yeah I wouldn't be so worried about player retention.

As an outsider looking in I'm envious of the forward talent firstly, especially being a Collingwood supporter and watching the shambolic set up we have. I'm a huge hipwood fan! Impacts the game really well for a very skinny young and raw player. Schache has obvious talent and when he does impact it just looks 'right' - obviously with time and experience they become more consistent which is the key but these two could be a key set up for 10+ years!!

I really like Mcstay, and Andrews has already shown his ability.

Great for you fans to have some hope with these guys. Just hope they stay and help build, not jump ship.

As an outsider looking in I'm envious of the forward talent firstly, especially being a Collingwood supporter and watching the shambolic set up we have. I'm a huge hipwood fan! Impacts the game really well for a very skinny young and raw player. Schache has obvious talent and when he does impact it just looks 'right' - obviously with time and experience they become more consistent which is the key but these two could be a key set up for 10+ years!!

I really like Mcstay, and Andrews has already shown his ability.

Great for you fans to have some hope with these guys. Just hope they stay and help build, not jump ship.

Best thing is Hipwood and Andrews are both queenslanders so hopefully they don't leave.

Think hipwood will be the best player of the lot. Absolute athletic freak and his hunger for the contest is second to none.

Some of the stuff he does on the footy field is buddy-like. We can only hope he capitalizes on his talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best thing is Hipwood and Andrews are both queenslanders so hopefully they don't leave.

Think hipwood will be the best player of the lot. Absolute athletic freak and his hunger for the contest is second to none.

Some of the stuff he does on the footy field is buddy-like. We can only hope he capitalizes on his talent

Agree.

I love his desire and intensity to. Think he's got all the tools if he stays injury free.

Dont think you can say any team has the best young KPP, until you give it 5-8 years and look back. Just too much development to happen. We certainly are 1 of only a few teams that has such promising tall talent at either end of the field though. I really like that we have the tall talent basically locked and loaded, meaning we can basically just load up on mids and smalls for the next 3 - 4 drafts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back