List Mgmt. Do We Need A Monster Forward?

Do we need a monster forward (when Dixon is gone)?

• Yes

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • We don’t even need a monster forward (Dixon) now

• Marshall, Georgiades or Finlayson can be our Monster forward.

• Other

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Dixon is coming to the end of his career. When he goes, our tall forwards will be Marshall, Georgiades and Finlayson with Visentini, Lord and Scully developing. Good luck bombing it long to Marshall, Georgiades and Finlayson.

The Case For
The advantage of having a big monster forward who can compete is that you can go long to a contest which means you can get it into the forward line quicker. Our best recent year 2020 was also Dixon’s best year. A guy like Dixon can straighten you up structurally. He can bring players like Rioli and Fantasia into the game. Tall defences like Geelong’s will kill you in intercepts if you bomb it long and don’t have a monster to bring the ball to ground or mark it.

The Case Against
The advantages of not having such a monster is that the forward line is more mobile and can work better defensively. In the modern game, you seemingly cannot plonk a Grenville Dietrich at full forward. Everyone has a part to play in team defence. Thus, even with a guy like Dixon in the team, half the time a turnover in our favour will mean he is not a target in a dangerous position anyway. Tall defences like Geelong’s will kill you anyway if you bomb it long- monster or no monster. You need to think your way through crowded defences- mobile marking targets is the key.

Last edited:
I think Marshall and Finlayson are both big, strong and smart enough that we don't need a dedicated monster. Marshall showed last year that he can use his body to win 1 on 1 contests. Georgiades is a great athletic pack splitting option.

While it would be really nice for one of the big young KPFs on our list to develop into a Dixon replacement, I don't think it's 100% vital.

Its all about coaching (and I'm referring to the forwards line coach as much as the head coach here). A great coach plays to the strength of the list. We've seen sides have success with and without monster forwards.

What I'd like to see is whoever our next Dixon is, regardless of whether they are a monster or just our #1 sharpshooter, needs to be someone who understands their primary role on the field is to take marks and kick goals, hurting opposition teams on the scoreboard. Not someone who is told their job is to "bring the ball to ground".

Todd is a decent tall target where finlayson and mitch are your darling types

I would like to see one more KPF and perhaps a fit firing dixon is that man

If we have (in any order)
rioli todd fantasia
SPP dixon georgie

that's pretty decent

then by freeing up finlayson and not using him in the ruck we have in defence

burton finlayson Jones
Aliir McKenzie Burger

I do feel we are a 6-10 side without a proper full back and lacking a in form big man up front (todd is tall but doesn't play big)

I think it is easy enough to have a functioning forward line without a monster forward but we are in dire need of of monster backman to combat against the Hawkins' of the competition.

I think Dixon is mobile enough to be a "mobile" forward, we just play him like an old school target man gorilla. Like with most of our issues, a lot of it is coaching.
Dixon is an immobile forward, because we play Lycett, who gives us ugly clearances resulting in kicks forward under pressure. If we played Hayes and went forward with clean clearances, Dixon might work as a mobile forward. I have doubts though after so long he could work well, as not the wrestling focal point. I’d rather not play him and move onto Hayes, MG, Marshall and Finlayson.

Going forward a gorilla forward who’s not mobile isn’t suited to the game now. If we can get a mobile gorilla forward though, that’d be a bonus, but it’s not essential.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We definitely need a bigger body down back.
Up forward everyone is thinking Dixon as a monster forward and are not looking at what a real monster forward like Hawkins can do for a side.
He destroyed Sydney all by himself in the GF.
We do need someone like that, we don’t need another Dixon.

We need a game plan that uses the type of forwards we have. We have a mobile forward line with some good crumpers assuming they stay fit, so get it in there quickly and accurately.

for me a monster back or A grade ruckman is much more important. We can’t win a flag without them.

A Jay Schulz type would do me. Schulz was no monster but he could lead, mark and most importantly kick straight. Probably the closest we have atm is Todd Marshall but he has a way to go bulk wise. I just saw Todd interviewed on TV and he has the body of a 197cm small forward.

Longer term and we probably do not know what we have in the SANFL as Ollie Lord was drafted as a forward but looks like playing down back. We also recruited Scully and Kyle Marshall and we do not know how they will turn out.

Last edited:
I didn’t vote, as I don’t know. As others have said, we don’t need another Dixon who mostly draws the long, high ball and is instructed to just compete and bring the ball to ground.

We need a dynamic, less predictable and more efficient forward group. As a whole, they need to create space better, lead better and demand better forward 50 entries, mark more consistently and finish the good work. Most importantly they need to do those things in the biggest of games not just against bottom sides.

The Richmond Preliminary final loss of 2020 was a perfect night for Dixon to impose himself on that result. He simply didn’t.

Marshall, Georgiades and Finlayson are a good starting trio, especially if Todd steadily improves and Georgiades “breaks out” to become the player we think he can be. I would still be investing heavily into the development of Lord and Scully as taller forwards. I’d love for Lord to “make” it.

Back