List Mgmt. Do We Need A Monster Forward?

Do we need a monster forward (when Dixon is gone)?

• Yes

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • We don’t even need a monster forward (Dixon) now

• Marshall, Georgiades or Finlayson can be our Monster forward.

• Other

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't want another dumb monster forward like Dixon.

Just keep drafting tall athletic forwards that know how to lead is all I ask.

ME CHARLIE ME STRONG. ME WRESTLE DEFNDER

Even if he was (which was over rated) he isn't now.

I don't think Dixon is a dumb forward at all. He's a monster because of his size, but like a lot of our players he's limited by what the strategy gives him.

He didn't come up with the strategy which sees him parked under hospital balls for every forward entry. Our genius coaching staff decided conceding intercept marks is the worst thing we can do and they also identified that Dixon doesn't get outmarked. Dixon is just doing what his coaches tell him gives us the best chance at winning.

Dixon is very mobile for a man of his size. He's good below his knees. He has good skills for someone who is 200cm and 105kg. He's playing in a system which isn't designed to help him be successful in taking marks and kicking goals.

I've posted several times that Dixon probably cost himself 100 career goals by coming to Port to play under this awful forward system.

I think Dixon is mobile enough to be a "mobile" forward, we just play him like an old school target man gorilla. Like with most of our issues, a lot of it is coaching.

Out of interest, which sort of defenders is he 'mobile' enough to actually get away from? Name names.

I mean he is mobile for his size but not mobile enough for the rest of his talent set, such as running under the ball.

Maybe a tad red wine world cup late nights delayed jetlag and half a pack of dodgy spinach influenced but I'm going to vote "no" because </coach after Ken> will have to change the plan and coach bombing the ball forwards repeatedly right out of our side anyway.

Hinkley needs a monster forward because he's too lazy/not smart enough to find a better way to goal. Hopefully our next coach can cope with having two first round draft picks as they main key forwards and develop a gamelan based on those strengths

I don't think Dixon is a dumb forward at all. He's a monster because of his size, but like a lot of our players he's limited by what the strategy gives him.

He didn't come up with the strategy which sees him parked under hospital balls for every forward entry. Our genius coaching staff decided conceding intercept marks is the worst thing we can do and they also identified that Dixon doesn't get outmarked. Dixon is just doing what his coaches tell him gives us the best chance at winning.

Dixon is very mobile for a man of his size. He's good below his knees. He has good skills for someone who is 200cm and 105kg. He's playing in a system which isn't designed to help him be successful in taking marks and kicking goals.

I've posted several times that Dixon probably cost himself 100 career goals by coming to Port to play under this awful forward system.
It's smarts & natural forward instincts he lacks not mobility, he really doesn't know how to lead or get separation consistently.

We aren't going to win a premiership in the years dixon is still playing. So as much as I loved his best, we need to build a forward line for that premiership opportunity.

Todd and lord - I'm not expecting much from lord and perhaps he'll be in our backline
todd and resting ruck (dixon and hayes) - resting rucks are just a mix it up/ rotation and not a full game strategy
todd and finlayson - I don't see finlayson as a KPF but he can provide support
todd and georgie - Georgie has worried me in 2022 and sense he is better suited to the hf line

Out of interest, which sort of defenders is he 'mobile' enough to actually get away from? Name names.

I mean he is mobile for his size but not mobile enough for the rest of his talent set, such as running under the ball.

Maybe a tad red wine world cup late nights delayed jetlag and half a pack of dodgy spinach influenced but I'm going to vote "no" because </coach after Ken> will have to change the plan and coach bombing the ball forwards repeatedly right out of our side anyway.

All of them, if the system is designed to get him separation. It's specifically designed to generate pack contests around him at this point.

It's smarts & natural forward instincts he lacks not mobility, he really doesn't know how to lead or get separation consistently.

The gameplan is based around him specifically not doing these things. He didn't have any issues taking marks on the lead at the Gold Coast of all teams.

All of them, if the system is designed to get him separation. It's specifically designed to generate pack contests around him at this point.

The gameplan is based around him specifically not doing these things. He didn't have any issues taking marks on the lead at the Gold Coast of all teams.
The Ken Hinkley special of 'talls don't need to mark, they just need to bring the ball to ground' which evolved into 'just bring the ball to ground'

Georgie needs to have a year like Marshall had last year.
Hopefully he can improve his goal kicking also.
If that happens it improves our forward line dramatically.
Spot on.

His ceiling is much higher than Marshall. He truly could be something special if he can stay fit for long enough and our stupid coach can use his talents properly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We r a better team with Dixon in, When he is fit. He is a good second ruck and forwardline ruck.

I reckon Finlayson could totally be a permanent bench/utility/swing man type, that could play any position on the ground. He has the smarts to do that and exploit the oppo. Can play big or small.

We r a better team with Dixon in, When he is fit. He is a good second ruck and forwardline ruck.

I reckon Finlayson could totally be a permanent bench/utility/swing man type, that could play any position on the ground. He has the smarts to do that and exploit the oppo. Can play big or small.
Oh great another westhoff stop gap.

The Ken Hinkley special of 'talls don't need to mark, they just need to bring the ball to ground' which evolved into 'just bring the ball to ground'

I think the mentality is that intercept marks are the way to win football games. We base our defence entirely around intercept marking and we're pretty good at it. We base our offence entirely around not conceding intercept marks and just sort of hoping that the rest will work itself out. Charlie has hard hands quite often but one thing that never happens to him is getting outmarked at a contest.

Our problem is that we play into the hands of elite small defensive lines who want the ball on the ground as much as we do.

If he played for Geelong nobody would be questioning his ability to take marks on the lead.

We base our offence entirely around not conceding intercept marks and just sort of hoping that the rest will work itself out.
Close. We base our offence entirely around not conceding rebound 50's. Dingus just still hasn't realised that packing a forward line with sub-175cm tacklers doesn't prevent rebound 50's if the opposition keeps taking intercept marks against us.

Last edited:
I think Tom Scully will be our monster forward, he seems to be a very smart player and with a few preseasons in the gym he will be ready

When I think of Port Adelaide circa 2028, the forward line isn’t where I see any issues
Having turned 60 at the end of the 2026 season Kenny Hinkley advised a devastated David Koch that 2027 would be his last season and he would be retiring at the end of that season. Who could we possibly get to replace Kenny Hinkley in 2028?

Last edited:
You don't need a gorilla, but you need a KPF who is going to hold his own against bigger KPDs.

The best sides in the comp all have at least one gorilla who is the focal point of the attack. Richmond has Lynch, Geelong has Hawkins, Brisbane has Daniher, Sydney has Buddy, Carlton has Curnow and Freo has Lobb.

The key is utilising the gorilla so to speak as a focal point but not being short sighted to the point that all other attacking options become invisible. Port have been far too Dixon centric the last 3 years, and I think their forward setup has been better without him in the side - not because of his talent but because they are more dynamic in terms of the variance of forward 50 entries when he's out of the lineup.

If they can find a way to have Dixon in the line up but playing a forward half style that we've seen when he's out of the side - that is when this side's true attacking potential will come out.

I actually think Dixons best footy is played when he hits up the wings, he is to big and strong for anyone who can almost go with him up the ground and far to agile for those big enough to match his strength and size. However we park him 30 meters out and say bring the ball to ground.

The hardest thing to defend in footy is grass, a stationary target with the size and presence of Dixon chews up so much space it is detrimental.

I think our best forward structure would be Dixon CHF, Marshall and Georgiadies Mobile Full Forwards, Finlayson, SPP, Rioli, Fantasia and JHF rotating though the residual 3 roles.

All four Talls could work, but would be a risk. Would need Wingmen and midfielders working Hard forward and having defensive structures absolutely spot on!

FF: Georgiadies, Marshall, Riolli
HF: SPP, Dixon, Finlayson
C: Burgmann, Butters, Duursma
HB: Burton, Aliir, Houston
FB: DBJ, Clurey/McKenzie, Jonas
Fol: Lycett, Wines, Rozee
Int: Boak, JHF, Fantasia, Farrell
Sub: Bonner
Emg: McKenzie/Clurey, Drew, Burgoyne, Mead, Jones, Sinn, McIntee, Pasini, Visintini, McCallum, Williams, Hayes, Teakle, Evans, Dumont, Lord, Scully, Jackson, Marshall, Barkla

I think Dixon is mobile enough to be a "mobile" forward, we just play him like an old school target man gorilla. Like with most of our issues, a lot of it is coaching.

Yeah look at hawkins, who has made a career out of utilising both wrestling and short 20m leads.

Which is pretty much what Dixon looked like at Gold Coast when his ankles allowed him.

Then we brought him here and he somehow got it into his head that one handed marking attempts while wrestling blokes should be his 1 wood, 9 iron and putter.

Do we NEED a monster forward ?

Not really.

We’ve looked much better organised, cohesive and efficient with Todd and Mitch utilising a bag of tricks.

Todd has proven he can beat opponents in a myriad of ways, including body work and outmarking them and in pack situations is competitive and can bring it down.

Mitch is an aerial threat if allowed to run and jump and also has great 1 on 1 body work.

Would I like another taller bigger kf?

Yes.

For several reasons. But I would not want a 1 dimensional big kf.

1. 2nd ruck.

Todd competes hard as a ruck when forced and well above expectations, but it would be good to have a better quality 2nd ruck. And not to have to pick 2 rucks, not to have a kpf masquerading as a ruck but a genuine 2nd ruck who can play the position. We have options on our list who “may” become this player. Teakle Scully Dante lord.

2. Opposing teams match ups.

Todd already presents a match up nightmare for teams. As I already pointed out to his detractors last year when he was our leading kf. If teams thought their biggest key defender could run with him they would put them on todd. He’s too quick and mobile for big guys and far too dangerous at ground level and around the ground for them. Against more mobile players he’s still all of those things but too tall and dangerous a marking threat.

Then there’s match up issues with Mitch who has elite traits.

Adding another bigger kf to them would just be yet another headache for opposing teams defenders.

3. Flexibility

Having another good tall kf could allow us to change how we use todd, who can play close to goal or up the ground, depending on the game as it’s unfolding.

Back