Do we need a send-off rule in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there should be an ability for a send off when it's an off the ball strike like we saw this weekend or when Hall hit Staker (clear cut, off the ball, only possible outcome is injuring your opponent)
Similar to a VAR but only for the most obvious of cases but I don't think the AFL will be able to implement it properly (due to competence).

So would the team have 17 on the field or just the offender excluded from rotations?

Equalisation - i would say excluded from rotations (benched for the rest of the game) but can still field 18 men.

You make a good point though; man down would increase the deterrent factor significantly; in the end any rule change must make the game safer for the athletes so punishing the aggressor may further reduce the likelihood of an incident.

It just cant be allowed to happen again - young Brayshaw is just a kid - life is about so much more than AFL. What if he's left with permanent disfigurement or physical disability related to his injury such as nerve damage? What about the mental impact? These all stay long after a career is over

If it does come in it has to be for only the most obvious incidents. Gaff and Bugg, off. Cameron, probably not.

It is unlikely to be much of a deterrent, though. For the last 25 years or so, this type of incident has been a brain-snap and not a planned out thing. Deterrence doesn't work when its not something a person thinks through.

I don't personally see the need for a red card. It is not going to stop the initial offence and the cost of pay back, coupled with the multitude of camera angles, is far too much in the AFL for any serious retribution.

Who makes the decission
If red cards do occur in the AFL, take it out of the hands of the umpires completely and give it the the video guys. Normally the game is stopped but they could direct the field umpires to pause the game at the next stoppage. We don't need the umpires having to make even more critical decisions. Imagine sending off a player in a Collingwood / Richmond game at the G where the incident occurred on the boundary. For everyone's safety, it would be best to come from those not on the field.

What defines a send off
The video should not only show the incident but the 15-30 seconds before. We've lost a player with a red card in a grand final (and the game) through retaliation and I would hate to see an entire season reduced to this. The video must show it is off the ball and the 15-30 seconds prior to it.

Just on the bench or 17 on the paddock?
The red card shouldn't give a team an advantage, just neutralise any benefit. The red carded player should be able to be replaced on the field to get a full 18. The card should be there to remove the risk of retaliation.

Having a send off rule doesn't appear to do anything than to remove a small chance of retribution - do we really need this? If we do, let's keep it for the absolute worst events possible that we get to see once or so a year.

If it does come in it has to be for only the most obvious incidents. Gaff and Bugg, off. Cameron, probably not.

It is unlikely to be much of a deterrent, though. For the last 25 years or so, this type of incident has been a brain-snap and not a planned out thing. Deterrence doesn't work when its not something a person thinks through.
Soccer red cards good example of this...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back