Do we need a send-off rule in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trust those Hawk fans defending Hodge & Lewis actions as minor don't cry argentina when karma wipes the smug smiles off their faces.. most other team followers know the truth that the AFL have two sets of agendas.. we're not silly… we're all aware what conflict of interest means… Sewell should NEVER have been on that panel. Nevermind, karma has a funny way of striking back and making those responsible look feel the guilt even more in the future.

The game has been cleaned up significantly. Just compare it to the NRL where Greg Bird has missed 21 NRL games through suspension (plus the criminal charge when he blamed a mate for glassing his girlfriend) and is looking at over 6 weeks if he can't dodge his current charge. Whilst NRL suspensions are heavier, it's still at least 6 guilty verdicts over a career. I doubt any current AFL player has anywhere near that record. Not even Barry Hall.

I still think the umpire should be allowed to dismiss a player from the field if the incident warrants such action. Any number of the abovementioned 'game day' and suspension penalties to offending team could be used. There is no perfect solution where fourth quarter incidents may not impact the offending team and the 'Alistair Lynch' situation can occur. But like the rushed behind and the intentional out of play rules, it is worth trailing.

So...... Which members of Hawthorn are going to grab headlines this round?

Last edited:
Is it coincidental that Hawks supporters are the loudest opponents of the send off / sin bin rule?
No, but since our club seems to be the catalyst for the current hysteria, we're reading these threads. I think we all feel a bit touchy about some of the vitriol being written.

There's no reason why other club supporters should care more or less. While Hawthorn play a tough game of football, the club doesn't suffer from suspension issues any more than others. Jordan Lewis being our worst offender has done some dumb things, but I recall nothing that I would consider red card worthy until last week. Most of his indiscretions have been things like little jabs to the stomach. All clubs would adapt where possible, so there's no reason for us to feel threatened more than anyone else.

Trust those Hawk fans defending Hodge & Lewis actions as minor don't cry argentina when karma wipes the smug smiles off their faces.. most other team followers know the truth that the AFL have two sets of agendas.. we're not silly… we're all aware what conflict of interest means… Sewell should NEVER have been on that panel. Nevermind, karma has a funny way of striking back and making those responsible look feel the guilt even more in the future.
You moron, Sewell himself was absolutely destroyed by Lloyd only 6 years ago, he should know how it feels to be the victim and is a quality person who I cannot recall committing an unfair act throughout his career.

Hawthorn players have been on the receiving end many times over the years. I remember Lance Piccione getting KOd in the most crude fashion by Jess Sinclaire (from NORTH MELBOURNE!) years ago, we were bullied by Essendon and other top ladder clubs for years during the late 90s and early 2000s. Eventually Hawthorn remembered what it takes to be at the top, which it to push the boundaries physically, but only rarely does something that would be send off worthy actually happen, as it would have to be pretty extreme. The majority of what Hawthorn players do is 100% legal, they just go hard. If it were players from your club doing the same, you'd not be complaining.

The two events last weekend we're poor and worthy of suspension and what they got was about right, so quit moaning.

Also, you misunderstand the true meaning of Karma, the meaning is action that requires more action to complete and the disruption to the pursuit of nirvana that this causes. There's nothing about the cosmos taking revenge on nasty people in it. Common mistake.

Last edited:
Pretty clear cut rule that should exist, if for any reason but send a bloke off if he intentionally rubs one of your own blokes out for the rest of the match.

Is it coincidental that Hawks supporters are the loudest opponents of the send off / sin bin rule?

There you go. You got what you were after. You riled up a few Hawks fans. Well done you.

Now start a thread about introducing multiball, its just as likely to happen as this.

Because all incidents intended to harm in a manner that was unsportsman like. If a bloke gets knocked out running back into a pack its unfortunate, when a bloke round arms a guy in the side of the head (which is never a way to spoil a ball since it would chop the arms at the best of times anyway) knowing he is already too late...that's thuggery.

Spoken like an expert!
796124-josh-thurgood.jpg 286046-matthew-lloyd-brad-sewell.jpg

True. Ask brett harvey. All the media hype over lakes heinous crime meant a choke is nw a few weeks rather than a fine. Kawma bit him on th arse

You moron, Sewell himself was absolutely destroyed by Lloyd only 6 years ago, he should know how it feels to be the victim and is a quality person who I cannot recall committing an unfair act throughout his career.
Pretty sure they confirmed this morning on SEN that there are 4 members on the MRP panel and only 3 sit on each decision. Sewell excluded himself from the hawthorn decisions this week as is the standard way to avoid conflict of interests with ex clubs.

Hawthorn players have been on the receiving end many times over the years.

I'm amazed you didn't bring up the Byron Pickett shirtfront of Krummel.. were you there that night?? I could hear it from over 60 metres away..

Anyway.. I don't trust the AFL -- they have a tendency to screw up decisions too often.

It's worth mentioning that Lewis targeted Goldstein in previous times (as shown on Footy Classified) and Hodge again plays it rough on Swallow. To say they were not targeted players on the night… obviously were not aware of hits by Lewis & Hodge …. I don't care for Lewis… just as much Hawk fans don't care for Pickett.. are we even?? who cares… no damage incurred on players to continue playing but Lewis will be a marked man…. not necessarily by North.

I'm amazed you didn't bring up the Byron Pickett shirtfront of Krummel.. were you there that night?? I could hear it from over 60 metres away..

Anyway.. I don't trust the AFL -- they have a tendency to screw up decisions too often.

It's worth mentioning that Lewis targeted Goldstein in previous times (as shown on Footy Classified) and Hodge again plays it rough on Swallow. To say they were not targeted players on the night… obviously were not aware of hits by Lewis & Hodge …. I don't care for Lewis… just as much Hawk fans don't care for Pickett.. are we even?? who cares… no damage incurred on players to continue playing but Lewis will be a marked man…. not necessarily by North.
Correct, all things square up in the end. Poor Krummel, basically ended his career. That incident was far worse than the two from last week in that the potential for lasting injury was much higher, yet at the time it was a perfect shirt front. Shows how thin skinned we've become, which is a good thing since the game is much cleaner.

Even Leigh Matthews is wavering on whether we need a send off rule. He was opposed but now acknowledges such a rule serves as an equaliser in extreme cases where the player hit can take no further part in the game.

Yes sin bin required, It will stop dog acts in big games, Lynch trying to KO Wakelin in 04 GF, Daniaher in 90 GF KO Gavin Brown, being some examples.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even Leigh Matthews is wavering on whether we need a send off rule. He was opposed but now acknowledges such a rule serves as an equaliser in extreme cases where the player hit can take no further part in the game.

The only player, or 'Victim' if some of the garbage in this Fred is to be credited over the weekend, was young Tom Rockliff, who was unable to play-on...Hence why May copped the 3 week ban.

Too many posters in here are neglecting the facts in all these cases....Injuries to players plays a part in the length & size of the sentence...We know that.

Both Goldstein & Swallow were fine to play-On & felt no lasting effects...Unlike both Thurgood & Sewell in the captions above.

All the hysteria emanating from this one has been mind-boggling to say the least & blown completely out of all context & proportion!

How dare those 'Bad old Hawks' stick up for themselves & give as good as they get....And then win the game....How dare they!

norf.jpg

Do you think journos have to write a new article about this every time something unsavoury happens on the field or do they just reuse the previous one and change the key details?

IMO there should be a send off rule for incidents like Bugg/Mills and Gaff/Brayshaw where contact wasn't as a result of a football act, in other words when a player simply turns to an opponent and clocks them. With incidents like Cameron/Andrews and Houli/Lamb I think it's a little difficult to adjudicate immediately that it was a deliberate act and not just contact as part of the game.

It would have nipped it in the bud so to speak and stopped our players targeting him like they did. The game was already lost at that stage anyway.

Have a VAR or something for incidents off the ball that are not footy related as _RT_ said. In-play is harder to adjudicate, but for clear off the ball stuff, it would have made it so much easier for the umpires to control the game without having to worry about Gaff getting targeted

The Red Card should be available to umpires at the very least as a strong deterrent to prevent future actions like this.

If this was a close game; from a sports perspective the victims team is being punished by way of one less bench rotation and potentially targeting of one of their A grade players. This has to be equalised.

AFL is a contact sport, and I enjoy tough hard physical games as much as anyone. I don't think (subjective opinion) the fans want to see it degenerate into mens netball with an oval shaped ball.

While the possibility exists for stuff ups in application of the rule - we already have a video review system in place and that can be extended to cover incidents like this.

Given there is already plenty of rules and free kicks awarded - my thoughts are;

Reserve it only for clearly intentional incidents with high impact on an opposition player. The umpire can call for a video review of the incident on the spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back