Do we need another AFL Club or are there too many as it is?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think GWS and GC should be cut

the comp was better before they were in it. Afl will never succeed in WS or QLD. It was a failed experiment from the word go

i think we should cut gws and Gc, and if we want a tassie team we will have to cut a small vic club (north probably the only option)

I think GWS and GC should be cut

the comp was better before they were in it. Afl will never succeed in WS or QLD. It was a failed experiment from the word go

i think we should cut gws and Gc, and if we want a tassie team we will have to cut a small vic club (north probably the only option)
Nah.
You want teams cut put up yours.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You seemed to be into having less teams. Would think that wpuld mean you wouldn't mind putting up your own.

Otherwise you are just full of piss and wind.

You remove the weak clubs obviously, but you’re obviously trying to be a smart arse so run along

Not at all. But are you thinking long term?

Only 30 years ago the Tiges were considered a weak club.

Calling for the death of oppositipn clubs like a child yet calls others a smart arse.

Yeah the Tigers had financial issues and if it werent for their huge supporter base would be gone today. GC GWS and North all have tiny supporter bases and that is not going to change

Apples and oranges

Yeah the Tigers had financial issues and if it werent for their huge supporter base would be gone today. GC GWS and North all have tiny supporter bases and that is not going to change

Apples and oranges
The same has been said by many individuals about many teams and proven wrong.

You know nothing Tits_McGee.

On the revenue front AFL wouldn't mind securing just one more club, on the supporters front Richmond fans will probably like this discussion to advance into something solid. My two cents on it :)

On the revenue front AFL wouldn't mind securing just one more club, on the supporters front Richmond fans will probably like this discussion to advance into something solid. My two cents on it :)
How does another club, introducing a bye, but no extra games, help revenue?

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

The NM, Footscray, & St K contracts with the now AFL-owned Docklands are almost certain to be finalised by the start of the 2018 season. Their very unfair Docklands contracts will be rescinded, greatly improving these clubs' financial position with Docklands home games. It was these Clubs' financial " sacrifice" that allowed Docklands to be built (guaranteeing good profits for the initial private owners & builders of Docklands).
Their permanent presence in Melb. is asssured (not that there was any recent realistic prospect to the contrary).

The afl.com reporter said "A HUGE (my emphasis) win for most of the tenant Clubs, which have received RELATIVELY LOW (my emphasis) revenue compared to what they make hosting games at the MCG".

St K CEO M.Finnis said St K.on-field results should also improve -they will be able to spend more on their football departments (ditto Footscray & NM).

www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-15/saints-close-to-resolving-etihad-hamstring

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we stayed as a 12 team comp for 62 years, we can stay as an 18 team comp for at least half that time
Air travel costs, compared to average wages, are very low now cf the 80's.
I suspect the AFL will want a team in Tas. sooner rather than later -to rectify the Tas. Disaster &, most importantly, restore the Tas. AFL recruitment gold mine.
If c.2027, GWS & GC appear financially stable & often with sell-out crowds, a 19th team would probably be granted to Tas c. 2027. The AFL would probably prefer the simultaneous new 20th team in Sthn Sydney; or based in Cairns (but also playing in Townsville & NT).

Successful businesses always want to expand to new areas where they have minimal presence. This expansion also protects their local base ie profitable competitors from those "new areas" could become too strong, & thus will also want to expand where they are weak.

The AFL will also want to significantly increase its own profitability over the long term (30-50 yrs)- thus necessitating expansion into NSW & Qld. -52% of Aust. population.
This Return On Investment approach was used to justify new teams in GC & GWS.

Hopefully, game day lists are 18, with only 2 on the bench -helps to keep skill standards high.

Last edited:
Two more clubs.

One in Tassie & one in N.T.

19 round season, switching venues every year.

won't be in the NT...there are about 120K people in the top end

Tassie is probably a lock but my bet is on Canberra, WA3 or, as a wild card, Newcastle

Also, more likely 20 rounds with a return derby if they are to reduce the season

Newcastle???? Maybe the year 2525, if man is still alive. If women can survive, etc :)

That's why I called it the "wild card" option.....if I was framing a market though I would have it way ahead of Darwin but well behind canberra.

Population of the Hunter is over 600K and there are another 300K plus within around 90 minutes down the road in the central coast. Almost a million pueblas

There are 150K in the top end....not many people a long long way away.

That's why I called it the "wild card" option.....if I was framing a market though I would have it way ahead of Darwin but well behind canberra.

Population of the Hunter is over 600K and there are another 300K plus within around 90 minutes down the road in the central coast. Almost a million pueblas

There are 150K in the top end....not many people a long long way away.

No place to play & not the slightest interest in the 'Victorian game'.
I guess that makesit a certainty over places that'd support a team. ;)

No place to play & not the slightest interest in the 'Victorian game'.
I guess that makesit a certainty over places that'd support a team. ;)

Well it's got 41 adult teams compared to 43 in the Canberra league. So I would say a similar interest in absolute terms though diluted in a much bigger population

In the unlikely chance they got the 20th team it would come with a ~25k stadium (ie this would be a prerequisite)

Again, almost certainly if we went to 20 teams it would be tas plus Canberra....likely many many years off of course ;)

Well it's got 41 adult teams compared to 43 in the Canberra league. So I would say a similar interest in absolute terms though diluted in a much bigger population

In the unlikely chance they got the 20th team it would come with a ~25k stadium (ie this would be a prerequisite)

Again, almost certainly if we went to 20 teams it would be tas plus Canberra....likely many many years off of course ;)
Any new team in expansion areas, whether it be SW Sydney, Newcastle, another somewhere in Queensland, I think, hinges on investment with cricket. Newcastle has been left behind in terms of stadium investment (their oval grounds are crap quality when the NSW government spends billions on knocking down and rebuilding perfectly functional stadiums...) so maybe if the BBL want to put a team there they can partner with an AFL team in time.

Isaac Heeney to be their first coach?

2 big differences...Canberra has politicians...AKA the people who fund so many infrastructure developments for the game, so a team in ACT (with appropriate facilities for VIPs) is also a form of lobbying which gives it a clear point of difference/advantage over somewhere like Newcastle.

People in the ACT have $$$ (per capita, they're second only to to NT) and more money means more that can be spent on AFL. (what this says about our federal government to have so many high earners in the public service I'll leave for other threads).

That said I think a 3rd WA team should be ahead of either. (not sure it would be though)

2 big differences...Canberra has politicians...AKA the people who fund so many infrastructure developments for the game, so a team in ACT (with appropriate facilities for VIPs) is also a form of lobbying which gives it a clear point of difference/advantage over somewhere like Newcastle.

People in the ACT have $$$ (per capita, they're second only to to NT) and more money means more that can be spent on AFL. (what this says about our federal government to have so many high earners in the public service I'll leave for other threads).

That said I think a 3rd WA team should be ahead of either. (not sure it would be though)

I think canberra is a better bet than WA3 in part for the reasons you have stated above. The 3rd WA team would provide another game in Perth every fortnight but wouldn't increase the number of people following the game there much.

Another advantage both would have over Newcastle is the latter would likely involve similar levels of investment and risk exposure to the AFL of the Giants and Suns. I would suspect that much of this would be borne by the ACT government or the WAFC in the case of Canberra or WA3

Anyway, I think the most ambitious path (that could send the majority conservative core base of the AFL into an apoplectic fit) would be to add Tasmania and Canberra some time after ~2023 when the Giants and Hawks/North deals are finished. Ideally this would be done in a way that learns from the errors in the Suns and Giants launches. For instance compelling them to trade most of their draft concessions for established players, giving them a 4 year time horizon including control of an academy etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back