Do we need another AFL Club or are there too many as it is?

Remove this Banner Ad

DangerIsLove

Cancelled
Oct 23, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
With A League expansion being on the agenda is it time to start talking about another new AFL team. Currently Canberra, the Northern Territory, Tasmania and Cairns do not have AFL teams. Should a new AFL team be formed

I vote Hawforn. The rest of Victoria disowns them already so let's get this done!

Move Hawthorn to Darwin and Geelong to Alice Springs.

Instant local rivalry for the Northern Territory! :p

Less is more. Unless they extend the season significantly to allow every team to play each other twice and remove finals, then removing teams or splitting them up is the only way to go. Whether that be conferences or divisions - whatever - 18 teams is too much for a 22 round H&A season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope that has happened .....North and Hawks both went broke before being bailed out by another state.

Will not happem
Both pre the introduction of the Suns and GWS. I think it could be more of an option now that we have an 18 team comp and two relatively young teams. It would certainly face strong opposition, but I just don't see how you could introduce another new side into the league in the next 10 years.

Move Hawthorn to Darwin and Geelong to Alice Springs.

Instant local rivalry for the Northern Territory! :p

Move West Coast to RSA. You're that far away from civilisation anyway that it's already an overseas trip!

The bravest and boldest move would be to expand into Melbourne. The city is currently occupied by names and brands that are decades, in some cases a century old. Modern marketing and branding, designed to target the rapidly increasing population, and abandoning all the prohibitive norms and traditions of footy as we know it, would be a winner.
This would be a disaster

Move West Coast to RSA. You're that far away from civilisation anyway that it's already an overseas trip!

There's probably more South Africans in WA then there is over there :p

Both pre the introduction of the Suns and GWS. I think it could be more of an option now that we have an 18 team comp and two relatively young teams. It would certainly face strong opposition, but I just don't see how you could introduce another new side into the league in the next 10 years.
z

Pleased other states have subsidized GWS and the Suns to their own detriment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back