Do we need to become more like Freo???

Remove this Banner Ad

Mature age recruiting, that's where it's at little brothers.
The list at freo has a healthy mix of early draft picks, mature age recruits (mainly rookie listed)
And a couple of free agents thrown in for spice.

At finding role players. Genuine gun KPP's aren't usually found as mature age prospects, Pods being the exception to that rule.

Its funny how no player ever wants to go to freo..Just proves everyone still thinks their club is a joke

Also comical how Freo supporters over rate their list. Probably the highest ratio of spuds ever to play in the GF..
But for me it was great watching their spuds embarrass themselves on GF day...hello Eddie Munster
More a case of getting a game.
Bigger opportunity to break into the Eagles team than the Freo side.
Ellis we decided to back away from after the medical and clearly Yeo will be a regular midfielder for you guys and well down the pecking order in our team.
Not so much of an embarassment as simply beaten by a very good team on the day.
I certainly would not be talking embarrassment if you are talking about this season as you guys clearly took that award.
(And I know the answer, let me save you the trouble of typing it: But we have 3 flags and you dont:p)

Ellis we decided to back away from after the medical and clearly Yeo will be a regular midfielder for you guys and well down the pecking order in our team.
I certainly would not be talking embarrassment if you are talking about this season as you guys clearly took that award.
(And I know the answer, let me save you the trouble of typing it: But we have 3 flags and you dont:p)

Usual freo spin ie drivel
Yeah no one could get a game at Freo...yet Daniel Pearce somehow manages..lulz

Yeo is 20 and would have a bright long term future at either club.

Neither club was red hot on Ellis. Simpson being our head coach probably played a part on Ellis leaning our way. Like Dawson just two years ago.

Bootsma. Given his background might have preferred Fremantle, we can't know his reasoning for his preference of West Coast.

Yeo is 20 and would have a bright long term future at either club.

Neither club was red hot on Ellis. Simpson being our head coach probably played a part on Ellis leaning our way. Like Dawson just two years ago.

Bootsma. Given his background might have preferred Fremantle, we can't know his reasoning for his preference of West Coast.
Yeo I think will be a good get by you guys, Ellis apparently has really good skills but injury issues maybe worth a punt, Bootsma I don't know that you need as you have strong key defenders but a guy that would have suited you would have been Michie but he looks like going back to Melbourne.

Oh and there’s some absolute corker posts in here. Well worth the trip down memory lane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scary I know.

But I have been reading a fair bit on the boards about who we should look to trade for, who we should be looking to draft. We also need a new coach and there is rightfully a lot of discussion and conjecture about this.

Bear with me while i try to make a point. First up I am saying that I like what Freo have done to become one of the best teams in the AFL... It makes me feel dirty. Secondly I am going to use Robert Walls to back my argument. Trust me, I feel dirtier than a port-a-loo after a 3 day festival.

In the Bunbury Mail an article by Robert Walls titled "How Fremantle became a force". http://www.bunburymail.com.au/story/1804888/how-fremantle-became-a-force/?cs=278

Most of it, as you would expect was fluff and drivel. But amongst the many words I did find some interesting reading. Some things that I feel the Eagles could think about at a time where the club is in its biggest state of flux in many years.

Firstly about trading:
"The recycling of players and the constant trading of valuable, early draft picks had hurt the Dockers. In 2008, after wallowing for 14 years in the AFL, the club took a stand. Mark Harvey had replaced Chris Connolly as coach and, at the urging of football manager Chris Bond, they decided to stop trading early draft picks, go for talented youth and develop their own.
Since 2008, the earliest draft pick that they have traded was No.61 in 2010 for Jonathon Griffin."

This really struck a chord with me and out potential hunt for Yeo. I do not know a lot about him as a player but there is conjecture that we are thinking about using our second round draft pick for him. It has been a long time since we have participated in an uncompromised (mostly) draft. We have had a raft of player retire with some legends of our club approaching the end. We have to be smart and ruthless. By all means target Yeo, but if he wants out of a club lets be smart. Offer a player with potential or our third round pick. We are in a position of power, let's use that. We don't need to screw the Lions over but they also don't need to leave the trade table happy either.

About getting us a coach:

"While Harvey was good, Lyon had proved in his five years at St Kilda that he was an exceptional coach.
So Fremantle acted - quickly, silently, ruthlessly and aggressively. Bond and Rosich got their man. There was immediate fallout. Lyon was targeted left, right and centre. Many in the media, many at St Kilda and many at Fremantle, went for him. But Lyon is tough, smart, courageous and resilient. He handled a difficult situation with aplomb. Those who felt for Harvey forget that years earlier he was prepared to step up and take the place of the sacked Connolly. And those who were dirty on Lyon would probably be baying for his blood now, had he stayed for a sixth and seventh season at the Saints that saw them drop out of the eight."

Whilst I happily admit I do not know what is going on with the search for a coach, apart from the few media murmurs, i certainly hope that the Eagles are playing it smart with this decision. We have a powerful club with a lot of money and good business backing so we can afford to splash some cash. And to be fair to the club I am sure that they will. But we again need to be ruthless. Let's hope that out board members have sat down, identified who they think the best 3 coaches in the AFL are and approached them. Failing the success of this approach then lets sit down and talk to the assistants available to take up a head coaching role.

The West Coast Eagles are at a big fork in the road. There is a perception that we have gone from one of the more ruthless clubs who also had cutting edge recruitment, fitness, player development and facilities to a middle of the road club. What is sad is that our little brother's in purple just down the road have become exactly that. It may take a few years to get back on track but we have to start our journey back at some stage and I simply can not think of a better time to return to our ruthless best with Robert Wall's analysis of Freo as a starting point (i just threw up a little bit.
U should have served a 6month ban for this post

Remove this Banner Ad

Back