Analysis Do we need to follow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop the long high bomb up forward to Lynch/Reiwoldt in the hope that Butts/Casta/Rioli will crumb and apply pressure.
With Lynch the only tall, taller backs are going to easily intercept.
Reckon little 20/30 mt chips into leading space would be more effective (as seen by Pies).
Thing is, that's what we did in 2017. Yes we had the small forward pressure, but that was to cause turnovers. When going forward we tried to hit targets and the crumbing was the second option. We were getting consistently high numbers of marks inside 50.

Fast forward to mid to late last year, and that's when the hopeless long high bomb came into our game. It barely worked late in the year, we could all see we were in shut form and limping over the line against s**t teams. Then when it came to finals it flopped, and still is.

We have to go back to go forward, and actually play the way we did in 2017. We need the small forwards to cause pressure, and we need our midfield to collectively pull it's finger out and put in some effort defensively. We then have to play sensible going forward instead of using the high panic ball. It's like they asked Ellis to teach the team how to kick.

crystal ball says we end up 4th
beat the cats at the mcg....delicious
then the weagles at the mcg....even more delicious
then the flogpies for number 12.... ultimate deliciousness

cant see if it's a goal after the siren or a massacre

Reckon we treated the preseason as a joke. Never seen the players have so much spare time and absence of training compared to previous years.

Instead of training on the GC we went to theme parks and played paintball.

Similar to how the Saints went to the movies that year.

It's our own fault.

I posted this in another thread, but I think its probably more appropriate here:

Fact Is, I've been a Richmond supporter for too many years, and I've been burnt too many times. I simply don't trust this playing group with the same blind devotion as many here do. Yes 2017 and 2018 were great, but I look at our core of Rance, Jack, Cotchin, Martin and Hardwick, a core we have had for nearly a decade of football, and I can't just ignore all the times they came up short and let us down as supporters.

Many here seem to have confirmation bias, and look at 2017 and 2018 as the new norm, I look at it as an exception to the norm. Hate on me all you like but I'm just trying to be realistic about our situation. Our list was flawed in 2015, our list was flawed in 2016, anyone could see that, yes we popped up for a premiership but you can't just ignore those list deficiencies. This was always going to happen at some point where our ball pressure wasn't going to be able to compensate for our subpar ball skills. We played that way because we had to to win games (and it worked), not because we revolutionized modern footy.

Our list as it stands can't compete with a Collingwood or West Coast or GWS now that the game has moved back to skill and less strength in numbers. Hate on me all you like but that's just how I see it.

I posted this in another thread, but I think its probably more appropriate here:

Fact Is, I've been a Richmond supporter for too many years, and I've been burnt too many times. I simply don't trust this playing group with the same blind devotion as many here do. Yes 2017 and 2018 were great, but I look at our core of Rance, Jack, Cotchin, Martin and Hardwick, a core we have had for nearly a decade of football, and I can't just ignore all the times they came up short and let us down as supporters.

Many here seem to have confirmation bias, and look at 2017 and 2018 as the new norm, I look at it as an exception to the norm. Hate on me all you like but I'm just trying to be realistic about our situation. Our list was flawed in 2015, our list was flawed in 2016, anyone could see that, yes we popped up for a premiership but you can't just ignore those list deficiencies. This was always going to happen at some point where our ball pressure wasn't going to be able to compensate for our subpar ball skills. We played that way because we had to to win games (and it worked), not because we revolutionized modern footy.

Our list as it stands can't compete with a Collingwood or West Coast or GWS now that the game has moved back to skill and less strength in numbers. Hate on me all you like but that's just how I see it.

Dude, you posted the same thing on the MB with your 16th post on your brand new 2 day old account.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rodney Eade made a good point on Radio before. Said we lacked pressure Thursday because we changed our game plan to protect the hole left by Rance. Basically the small forwards Geroge, Higgo, Rioli and Butler were playing closer to the arc and not deep. If that is the case then the club has had 7 days to prep for that and we argubly should have been level at 3qtr time. Also, Rama, druggo flog still rates us. Give that campaigner a ticket on the train.

25 to 9 in the frees is going to stuff you against the good sides. I rate frees as the same as contested marks.Best player breaking his wrist isn’t going to help. A bit of a bumpy patch at the moment but our pressure style should work in any weather conditions etc. we seem to be lacking polish so onwards and upwards.

Nope dont change - just need to get better.

I dont know how many times Ive said this, you cant combat pressure with a "gameplan". We are our own worst enemy in that if our pressure and defensive mindset is not on, we are an average footy side.

Right now, its a bit of a perfect storm tbh. We're not peaking (which you wouldnt want to be anyhow at this stage), we have a couple of new players in our fwd line, weller and Lynch = a breakdown in fwd pressure (and it was always going to take a bit of time to learn to play with 2 genuine talls). Add in injury to Rance and a new midfield coach and its not surprising we dont look great atm. I think talk of changing our style is crazy talk, weve clearly been the best side for 1 and 1/2 seasons, why are we going to throw that away after a couple of games?

We need to wait 4-5 weeks for jack to get back and for our defence to settle in without Rance before we can make an informed decision on whether we're legitimately ****ed or not.

There is a definite change in the way we've moved the ball inside 50 that's not helping yet... Or might not time will tell.

Last year we were able to lock the ball deep in the back half because when we played well we didnt kick it from outside 50 into that 25 metre arc. We ran it in chaos style , frequently handballed and refused to take a shot that could easily be rebounded. We also scored accurately because a large amount of goals were kicked from 20 odd metres out.

We've added lynch to the list now and we've decided to thump it in and hope our ground level crumbers can score from spilt ball, it means we get rebounded on quickly when we can't crumb it. It's not working at this point, but Lynch is coming from a long way in prep.

Our defensive press relies on pressure for effectiveness and takes time to setup when your being rebounded on quickly it's not effective. The press was static on Thursday and a well drilled side worked through it to easily. Our "last quarters" have been a trademark for us for some time. It's not that we are just better conditioned its because the press conserves our energy when it's static and we absorb the opposition teams pressured attack and then use what's left in the tank for the last quarter. Sides are working that out and we won't be able to absorb for half a game anymore.

Rodney Eade made a good point on Radio before. Said we lacked pressure Thursday because we changed our game plan to protect the hole left by Rance. Basically the small forwards Geroge, Higgo, Rioli and Butler were playing closer to the arc and not deep.

Agree.

Collingwood could only take that many uncontested marks across HB because our forwards weren't pushing up on them. That's not the way we've set up for the past two seasons. Dunno if it was intentional or unconsciously feeling the absence of Rance.

I think every single team talks about "playing their way" in the pre-season, then see something working for another team and try to implement it.

Do we need to change game style now? Well, I guess we will, whether we want to or not. Without Rance's pace and Riewoldt's smarts, we can't play the exact same way.

The positive is that a few of the fringe players get their opportunity. Hope a few grab it with both hands.

Few things I think we need to look at:

- Hold our structure around the packs. 2017 we were successful at swarming the contest but this has been worked out to some extent and teams are exploiting it once the ball gets out. Dees are the main exponents of it now and look how they’re travelling.

- Lower eyes going inside 50. Just because we’ve got Lynch doesn’t mean it’s become efficient to bomb away. Place it 10 meters in front and let the target get a run and jump as opposed to grappling in a stationary position.

- Man on man defence. This zone stuff isn’t us and any team worth their salt picks it apart.

Rodney Eade made a good point on Radio before. Said we lacked pressure Thursday because we changed our game plan to protect the hole left by Rance. Basically the small forwards Geroge, Higgo, Rioli and Butler were playing closer to the arc and not deep. If that is the case then the club has had 7 days to prep for that and we argubly should have been level at 3qtr time. Also, Rama, druggo flog still rates us. Give that campaigner a ticket on the train.
It might be that we have to trust our backs.

Few things I think we need to look at:

- Hold our structure around the packs. 2017 we were successful at swarming the contest but this has been worked out to some extent and teams are exploiting it once the ball gets out. Dees are the main exponents of it now and look how they’re travelling.

- Lower eyes going inside 50. Just because we’ve got Lynch doesn’t mean it’s become efficient to bomb away. Place it 10 meters in front and let the target get a run and jump as opposed to grappling in a stationary position.

- Man on man defence. This zone stuff isn’t us and any team worth their salt picks it apart.
I think the zoning was us, kits just that rance is so good at coming off his man to help. We have to trust them now shoulder to shoulder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back