Do we peak too early?

Remove this Banner Ad

Did we even peak at all?

We were a V8 running on 5 or 6 cylinders all year... everybody was thinking "geez when the Crows hit their straps they'll be nigh on unstoppable"... only problem was... it never happened.

Worrying signs... against Brisbane we played 5 minutes of good football for the entire match (that 3rd quarter burst when we took the lead) and that was it.

An interesting question.

I think many things conspired to ensure we did not peak at all.

Injuries, poor form to key players, the flu, perhaps the draw etc, meant that we never once played our best footy, or played to our capability.

IMO, we were a better team in 2002 than 2003, but when you look at the two teams on paper, that seems like a stupid comment. Nonetheless, in 2002 some of our best performances came with nothing more than a makeshift forward line through a dominant midfield.

My feeling is that the midfield was nowhere near as potent as last year. Our strength comes from our midfield, so logically we could not perform as well as in 2002.

All in all, a major dissapointment.

Yeah have to agree dyertribe,Im not sure we peaked at all,I thought after our round 19 win in Perth that we were going to give it a real shake this year but um yeah I thinks that's when we peaked.......................we should never have lost to the Kangaroos in Rnd 21 that was crap:mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by dyertribe
Did we even peak at all?

We were a V8 running on 5 or 6 cylinders all year... everybody was thinking "geez when the Crows hit their straps they'll be nigh on unstoppable"... only problem was... it never happened.

Worrying signs... against Brisbane we played 5 minutes of good football for the entire match (that 3rd quarter burst when we took the lead) and that was it.

We never did, did we. We struggled to get our best team on the park week after week, mainly due to injury in the forward line. As a result we did splutter along rather than purr along.

Then when we got close to our best side on the ground, they ran on 4 cylinders instead of 5 or 6. :(

Yeah, what DT said.

It took us to the last game of the season to get a near full-stength line-up on the park. We could never get our side settled during the year, as someone was always getting injured. probably should look at our injury management, particularly for a few players who appear to be injury-proned.

There were some great performances against Essendon, Carlton and West Coast. These were great TEAM wins, they were efforts that showed our potential and I went away thinking hey we could really build on that.

We didnt.

We could not maintain that standard week in, week out. The potential was there but we could not tap it. Damn frustrating!

I agree with dyertribe in that we didn't peak at all IMHO. This was mainly due to the injuries to our forwards.

If you looked at it Welsh has missed half the season, Stevens only played 8 games and Carey only managed 16. Thats half of yor forward line never getting a chance to play together and gel.

Hopefully next year we can have a good run with injuries and some youngsters really step up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back