Opinion Do we REALLY want Jack Steven from St. Kilda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
There has been much talk about Geelong chasing St. Kilda midfielder Jack Steven.

My question is:- do we really need or want him?

Don't get me wrong, at his best he can be a very good player.

But I have a number of concerns, which make me cautious whether it is a good idea or not:-

-Saw him a couple of weeks ago, and he looks to have a bit of weight on the gills. He would need to trim down.

-Do we really need more midfielders?

I think Geelong have priorities in other areas. Now, if Steven played ruck, and was one of the best in the league, I would want him. But I would rather chase Goldstein, Sam Jacobs, Paddy Ryder or even Brodie Grundy (who would are rumoured in trade discussions) than another midfielder like Steven. The ruckman can fill a role we are weak in, and would be worth doing. I don't know if Steven (especially in his current state) would add much to our midfield.

-Speaking of his current "state"-

This is something else that concerns me. Steven has spent most of the year either physically injured or battling mental demons. I don't know if we want to take a risk on a player like that again.

Remember Mitch Clark? We took a punt on him, and it failed. Do we want to roll the dice again on someone with physical and mental issues?

-He's 30.

If we don't win the flag this year, do we want another 30 year old? I would say "Yes" if it is a ruckman or key forward who would strengthen our lineup. But we might only get a couple of years out of Steven (and that is even if he has everything sorted). We could give that spot to another youngster or another guy out of our VFL side.

-How much will it cost us?

This is a consideration too. I thought that he was a FA, but I think I heard someone saying that we would have to trade for him. I don't think, with his issues and his lack of fitness, that we should be offering him much money, a long contract or giving up prime draft picks for him. If it costs us nothing, then maybe. But if we have to give a lot for him, I say, forget it.

It seems our interest in Steven is because he lives near Geelong. Now, it is one thing when Patrick Dangerfield wants to move to our club because he is from the area (you would move heaven and earth to get him). If Travis Boak wanted to go home, I would have no problems getting him either, but I don't see what use we have for Steven, and we are only interested because he lives nearby and wants to play for us.

Hey, if we pick him, and he plays like he did at his best, it could be a worthwhile investment. But if we chase him, because we want him, rather than try to get in a ruckman or second KPF, then we are putting a lot of eggs into one basket, and I don't know if he would get us any closer to a flag.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
There has been much talk about Geelong chasing St. Kilda midfielder Jack Steven.

My question is:- do we really need or want him?

Don't get me wrong, at his best he can be a very good player.

But I have a number of concerns, which make me cautious whether it is a good idea or not:-

-Saw him a couple of weeks ago, and he looks to have a bit of weight on the gills. He would need to trim down.

-Do we really need more midfielders?

I think Geelong have priorities in other areas. Now, if Steven played ruck, and was one of the best in the league, I would want him. But I would rather chase Goldstein, Sam Jacobs, Paddy Ryder or even Brodie Grundy (who would are rumoured in trade discussions) than another midfielder like Steven. The ruckman can fill a role we are weak in, and would be worth doing. I don't know if Steven (especially in his current state) would add much to our midfield.

-Speaking of his current "state"-

This is something else that concerns me. Steven has spent most of the year either physically injured or battling mental demons. I don't know if we want to take a risk on a player like that again.

Remember Mitch Clark? We took a punt on him, and it failed. Do we want to roll the dice again on someone with physical and mental issues?

-He's 30.

If we don't win the flag this year, do we want another 30 year old? I would say "Yes" if it is a ruckman or key forward who would strengthen our lineup. But we might only get a couple of years out of Steven (and that is even if he has everything sorted). We could give that spot to another youngster or another guy out of our VFL side.

-How much will it cost us?

This is a consideration too. I thought that he was a FA, but I think I heard someone saying that we would have to trade for him. I don't think, with his issues and his lack of fitness, that we should be offering him much money, a long contract or giving up prime draft picks for him. If it costs us nothing, then maybe. But if we have to give a lot for him, I say, forget it.

It seems our interest in Steven is because he lives near Geelong. Now, it is one thing when Patrick Dangerfield wants to move to our club because he is from the area (you would move heaven and earth to get him). If Travis Boak wanted to go home, I would have no problems getting him either, but I don't see what use we have for Steven, and we are only interested because he lives nearby and wants to play for us.

Hey, if we pick him, and he plays like he did at his best, it could be a worthwhile investment. But if we chase him, because we want him, rather than try to get in a ruckman or second KPF, then we are putting a lot of eggs into one basket, and I don't know if he would get us any closer to a flag.
Yeah your right, good player at his best but is 30, and yeah exactly not going to get us closer to a flag. So what's the point?????
Just slowing down the development of a younger player.
Also is contracted so will cost a pick.
Not trying to be overly negative, it's just really hard to see much of an upside.
Your mate Biggy is right too. Just trying to keep the memberships and reserved seats ticking over.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
As good a player as he has been we can’t afford to be bringing him in for anything more than a token draft selection.

So essentially, no.
This pretty much. A pick in the 60’s i could handle, but not a 2nd rounder like saints supporters reckon they can get. He’s 30, fat, and has mental health issues. Plus he is 12 months away from being a free agent where we could get him for nothing but average cash.

Think he is a very good player and would fit into our best 22.

But he is 29, I cant see any possible way that us and St Kilda could agree on his value as they will want 1st/2nd round, we would want to give 3rd/4th round.

Just cant see how it happens.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
I flicked on a replay the other day just to see what Carlton are doing it happened to be against the Saints,I only watched a quarter but the fat pig Steven was really struggling,You would need to turn a lot of blind eyes to take him on that effort.One word RISKY.

Last edited:
I was all for a second rounder until last week. If his weight gain was caused by medication then he's not losing the weight.

We do need contested midfielders though. Look at last week. Dangerfield was on his own. Next year we likely lose Kelly, Joel can't play as an onballer anymore, danger hasn't played a full season as an on baller since I was excited about Cowans comeback. Even a 25 year old fit version of Steven won't pull us out of that hole.

We need to put Constable in the middle with a rotation of Parfitt/Narkle/Fogarty/Clark/Cocky in there alongside some of the seasoned vets like Dangerfield/Duncan/the limited midfield minutes we get from Joel. Steven only fits if he's there to steady the ship while the kids sort it out because that group will need leadership.

If we can get what we need from trading or free agency then that would be ideal but I think the free agent pool this year is thin/expensive. There are some mids in this years draft worth a look maybe but not sure when they'd be in the seniors if at all.

I flicked on a replay the other day just to see what Carlton are doing it happened to be against the Saints,I only watched a quarter but the fat pig Stevens was really struggling,You would need to turn a lot of blind eyes to take him on that effort.One word RISKY.
Fat pig is a bit harsh, but yeah I just watched his highlights from the game in the afl app. Not inspiring. I think he laid one tackle I liked

Would 18 and Constable for Stuv and a future 3rd get anyone interested?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That is the worst trade in the history of trades maybe ever.

If we were choosing sides tomorrow then constable is getting a spot over stuv not the other way around.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I wouldn't look for anyone above the Dahlaus/Rohan age range. If a good 25-27 year old talent with peak years ahead is available, sure. They certainly don't grow on trees. Even if we do lose Kelly, I think it's time to back some youth through those midfield positions. They are starting to do that already and will have to when Selwood goes regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back