Opinion Do we REALLY want Jack Steven from St. Kilda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would 18 and Constable for Stuv and a future 3rd get anyone interested?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
NOPE.

Il give you the benefit of the doubt as you seem new in account time...

But that is so horrendously unbalanced its alarming you think he's that good.
He WAS that good at one point no doubt.

Tense is really important here.

Come back with something priced with a tense relationship to the
end of 2019.

GO Catters

Last edited:
Its not just the getting him in and the cost thats the issue.
It pushes another younger player down the order of best 22 and thats a concern with Narkle, Chook, Simpson, Parsons et al looking for AFL game time.

Chook being held out by GAJ or TK i can stomach - but not for a 30 year old that will give us debatable return at best, who is physically out of condition and will need to be get the right frame of mind and work 3x as hard to get fit.

And before you compare to GAJ, GAJ is the GOAT. Steven is more the Yak so not even on the same side of the mountain. The GOAT you make exeptions for. The Yak you take to market. And that's exactly what St Kilda is doing with him.

GO Catters

yak lol

Ive not looked at stats - but from perception, Kelly appears to get more ball on the inside, whereas Hill on outside. No doubt someone is going to throw some stat bombs at me however...

Hill is a better version of Motlop. Gut running outside with silky skills. He is not winning you contested ball and clearances like Tim Kelly. Completely different players.

Hill and Darcy for Kelly? No chance of that happening. It would almost be a clean swap Hill for TK and maybe a late 2nd rounder. Not a chance in Hell they give up Darcy.
Oh and yes to Stevens for a 3rd and no more.

Okay. Hill for TK.

Maybe we could then get Steven Hill as well free agency, or fulfil our ruck needs getting free agent Paddy Ryder from Port.

Hill is a better version of Motlop. Gut running outside with silky skills. He is not winning you contested ball and clearances like Tim Kelly. Completely different players.

He's not going to be as good as TK, but Kelly is a star.

It is a downgrade, but if Kelly leaves, it will be hard to find someone equally as good.

Much rather keep Constable than get Jack Steven
If we could get Steven cheaply or maybe for a swap for Smith or Abbott allowing a new ruckman into the squad, it would be beneficial to all.
I really want to see Constable come into the team for Kelly as the inside bull
I would like to see Steven as a third inside mid with Danger and Charlie
Get more mid time into Narkle, Parfitt, Fogarty and hopefully Cockatoo

Its not just the getting him in and the cost thats the issue.
It pushes another younger player down the order of best 22 and thats a concern with Narkle, Chook, Simpson, Parsons et al looking for AFL game time.

Chook being held out by GAJ or TK i can stomach - but not for a 30 year old that will give us debatable return at best, who is physically out of condition and will need to be get the right frame of mind and work 3x as hard to get fit.

And before you compare to GAJ, GAJ is the GOAT. Steven is more the Yak so not even on the same side of the mountain. The GOAT you make exeptions for. The Yak you take to market. And that's exactly what St Kilda is doing with him.

GO Catters
100% it's the wrong strategic move this year. We apparently enquired last year but let's compare the circumstances:

2018 trade period: midfield highly reliant on Kelly and a group of 29+ year olds. List internally rated as capable of flag. Plug in replacement for Kelly required to maintain plan to attack 2019.

Conclusion: if we lose Kelly let's get Steven in to try for a flag

2019 trade period: Selwood most likely won't play high inside midfield minutes going forward, Dangerfield maybe deployed forward permanently to prolong career and replace Ablett. Kelly gone.

Conclusion: too many missing peices to contend. One extra good/elite mid won't make a material difference. Build around Constable/Clark/Cocky/Narkle/Parfitt /whatever we can draft.

The Steven trade no longer holds water as a value proposition

He's not going to be as good as TK, but Kelly is a star.

It is a downgrade, but if Kelly leaves, it will be hard to find someone equally as good.
The thing is we won't find anyone equally as good as Kelly, it's almost unfair on Jack to paint him as something he's not. Our only option is to draft right now. It's not great but it's the only strategy we have right now.

The thing is we won't find anyone equally as good as Kelly, it's almost unfair on Jack to paint him as something he's not. Our only option is to draft right now. It's not great but it's the only strategy we have right now.

The stategy ging forward may get biased by how we perform in finals.. anything less than two finals wins and Id agree.. strong draft focus. ... but Im all on the draft train anyway but if we look like we were very close then top up makes more sense and I could understand us tooting that horn.

A freo trade for Kelly may also push us that way ..while WCoast probably is more tempting to trade out the r1's for players..

Too late for us and Jack. Maybe five years ago.
Notwithstanding his mysterious mental health issues, even if we get him for peanuts, we have our own home grown guys that can cover anything he brings and as a 30 yo he will only stymie a younger players development.

This is shaping as one of those ones the media seems to know is going to happen so we best just accept it.

Regardless of what happens in the finals this year I think the club is still going to swing for the fences while our top end talent is still here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He may seek a trade and want to come to Geelong, but we shouldn’t do a deal, not what we need and I’d rather keep Constable. Jack Steven ‘was’ good, he’s closing in on the final years of his career and is in his worst shape, could take him a full season to turn his physical condition around, which would then see him 31 and probably give us 1 maybe 2 decent years.

Pass on this one Cats, please.

He may seek a trade and want to come to Geelong, but we shouldn’t do a deal, not what we need and I’d rather keep Constable. Jack Steven ‘was’ good, he’s closing in on the final years of his career and is in his worst shape, could take him a full season to turn his physical condition around, which would then see him 31 and probably give us 1 maybe 2 decent years.

Pass on this one Cats, please.

Adelaide did the deal for Gibbs... yes they traded hard ..but the real issue is not the trade or his wage ..if he was a gun players still it wpuld all look good. Ablett has done more than I though he might ... and im sure he is not playing for food stamps but what ever he is getting has been worth it.

Would the same be said after a Steven trade.. I have to say his shape is not encouraging .. Id like to think he can really put some work into the next 5 weeks so by the time trade week happens we have a better feel for justs how much he wants it ..

Jacks1.png JackS2.jpg

Last edited:
Fair enough...... But I would honestly prefer we take a dip in the fountain of youth.

But if the club goes down this path I pray for every success, and no regrets.
Understand that.
Sometimes it's a balancing act which path you head down.
Hopefully it works out.
Seems like a ripping bloke as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back