Toast Do we underrate Ricky Henderson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Robinson's Likes & Dislikes.

5. RICKY HENDERSON
Amid the hype at the MCG on Sunday for Chad Wingard (three goals) and the steady improvement in Tom Scully — and, yes, commentators we already know he’s the king of the gut-busting runners — Ricky Henderson is quietly going about his business on the wing. Another 29 disposals yesterday to follow his 20 in Round 1, and 29 in Round 2, and he gives the Hawks three genuine wingmen in Isaac Smith, Scully and himself. Against the Kangas, Henderson played three quarters on the wing, a little forward, and as an inside mid. All this after being picked up as a delisted free agent. The Hawks continue to nail their recruiting.

th.jpg

Yes. Yes we do underrate him.

More than us underrating him, I think he's really lifted this year.

He probably understands that his role is being threatened by a few of our recent draftees and Tom Scully coming into the club, and he's responding to it in a massive way.

essaynode

Senior List
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
More than us underrating him, I think he's really lifted this year.

He probably understands that his role is being threatened by a few of our recent draftees and Tom Scully coming into the club, and he's responding to it in a massive way.

Two separate issues.
1. Yes - I think we do underrate him.
2. Improved form could be feeling "threatened", but I think it's more likely that his role has become easier because the load is now being shared. No longer are we relying on just Smith and Hendo. Morrison and Scully being on the wings allows Hendo to get more rest and less attention. Liek any good team, their strengths complement and enhance each other.

Robinson's Likes & Dislikes.

5. RICKY HENDERSON
Amid the hype at the MCG on Sunday for Chad Wingard (three goals) and the steady improvement in Tom Scully — and, yes, commentators we already know he’s the king of the gut-busting runners ...
Is there a bit of those pricks got him for 4th rounder and we had to pay 2 first rounders for Dylan in that bomber supporter groupie err robbo?

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Personally I have been on the Hendo train for a long time. Glad to see so many others finally jumping on board! Hopefully any more of that talk about dropping him or not givining him another contract is finally put to rest.

I think his low key personality and graying hair has somewhat been a factor in the habitual underrating of Hendo but personally I appreciate his low key, old school style.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The knock on Henderson from Adelaide supporters was that he is soft.
2018 Hendo was good, Hendo 2019 is taking seriously good contested marks, creating contested ball wins, and setting up goals / if not finishing them himself.

While watching the game from the nose bleeds I keep thinking,” that was good” and asking “who was that” ... the answer was usually Henderson.

He is my favourite player this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Ever since Scully has been in Hendo has gone to another level

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Hendo, Smith, Scully and Morrison will all benefit from being in the one side.

Morrison needs to make some big in-roads with this. Can you imagine being an elite runner like him and you come on to a wing when Issie or Scully are having a spell and your oppo hasn't also been benched for some breathing space??

Hodgey09

Cancelled
Feb 7, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mate thinks I've lost the plot and wants to bet me $100 Henderson won't poll 10 votes for the year Brownlow wise.

I honestly think he maintains his form he will poll that easily...

Thoughts on taking that bet and how many votes he might end up with anyone?

Jables

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Giants, Hornets, Bulls
The knock on Henderson from Adelaide supporters was that he is soft.
2018 Hendo was good, Hendo 2019 is taking seriously good contested marks, creating contested ball wins, and setting up goals / if not finishing them himself.

While watching the game from the nose bleeds I keep thinking,” that was good” and asking “who was that” ... the answer was usually Henderson.

He is my favourite player this year.
He's not the first good wing player to be scapegoated and won't be the last, lots of wingers get called soft when they really aren't, like Hill. He's in star form right now but he's been solid from day one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back