Toast Do we underrate Ricky Henderson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hendo in the coaches votes yet again. He has now polled CA votes in 7 of the 10 games this season. That is some serious consisteny.
Above Danger for the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't have a single weakness playing this role and just does all the fundamentals to a high standard without having a killer attribute.

Competence is an underrated quality in players, and overlooked when assessing Hawthorn's list management strategy.
i agree with what you said, but for me his biggest asset is his effort. It’s 100%, every time he goes near the ball.
Any team would be unbeatable if they all played with Hendo’s effort. I’d love to hear his story one day - about his turnaround from Rookie at Adelaide, delisting, to the performance this year. I wonder what the catalyst was...

I always thought he'd be a handy pick-up and after earning his place in the side, he's been quite consistent.
That's nearly the most quiet way of saying a guys averaging close to 30 touches that I've ever seen!

He basically didn't play juniors. So he's a young 30 based on that. Not surprising he's worked out how to play in his later years.

Trent Croad for example was one of the dumbest footballers because he didn't play much juniors or even come from a footy watching background but towards his later years he worked out how to play full back and was good at it.

Jon Hay was the dumbest footballer ever and in his later years when dropped he worked out taking beam cans? (was one of those brands) is no good in the rooms at VFL level. But he was the fastest close down FB I've ever seen. He couldn't do much else apart from beat Kouta once when they asked him to tag him in the middle. But apart from the closedown he was as close to a headless chook you'd see on a footy ground.

What the three of them have in common is they all have athletic qualities that meant they could achieve at AFL level. That meant if they finally got it, they would be alright. (Hay perhaps had far more athletic qualities but was just kinda dumb I don't think you can hide that), that Ricky has found a system that suits him is great for him and better for us.

It's hard to believe Henderson still hasn't been offered a new contract yet. Of all the players who are out of contract on the list he should be the first one to be given a new deal! Unless there's another club sniffing around. :think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back