Analysis Do Witts and Grundy work as a combo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
They were completely embarrased today by another young ruck combo in Sinclair + Natanui.

Neither of them can take a contested mark to save their lives, and even their uncontested marking was poor. Neither of them is a threat up forward because they simply can't take strong marks. Around the ground Witts is a liability, and having both of them leaves us a runner short through the midfield.

Jessie White is doing nothing up forward anyway, we are much better to have him as our 2nd ruckmen and swap either Witts/Grundy for another genuine forward or midfielder.

Thoughts?

Hopefully everyone has come around to ths now. The two can't be in our best 22 together. Neither can mark the ball around the ground or in the forwardline in contested or semi-contested situations often enough. Grundy had a couple of opportunties in the goalsquare tonight that he really should have taken, but couldb't grasp them.

In fairness, Naitanui has been in crazy form for the last month, and he himself showed only glimpses of greatness in his first 3 years.

Sinclair, though, was frustrating. They should have done better on him.

I think they don't really work as a duo yet. I am hoping that this will improve the longer they play together. There is no doubt that they both play "better" as the sole ruckman. But that is the way with most (other than the Cox/Nic Nat combo) 'number one' ruckmen. What I mean to say is that Goldstein and HMac used to never work well together cause they were both capable no.1 ruckmen. Those kind of ruckmen struggle to share duties. Witts and Grundy are both No.1 ruckmen atm. Neither of them is clearly better forward than the other. I think they can and will learn, but it will be a long, slow learning curve.

Hopefully everyone has come around to ths now. The two can't be in our best 22 together. Neither can mark the ball around the ground or in the forwardline in contested or semi-contested situations often enough. Grundy had a couple of opportunties in the goalsquare tonight that he really should have taken, but couldb't grasp them.

Luckily marking and general skills improve with age, experience and coaching.

If one of them was completely missing a hand or arm, then I'd say your point about them not being able to mark was valid.

Both scored a goal, something White cant say he did.

Play them together.

How did they get their goals?

Grundy snuck out the backdoor and got a cheapie, Witts got a cheap free in the goal square when Fasolo took a strong mark in front of him...

Neither are actually doing what a tall should and TAKE CONTESTED MARKS!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people seem convinced he will end up being a star... I'd be very happy to trade him to GWS while his currency is high.

I believe it will be a workable combination. However he may well end up on the trade table and I trust the club if he does. Either way I'm not going to jump to knee jerk reactions based off one game or even one season.

What I do know is plenty of ruckmen get given away cheap before they have been given a proper chance to develop. We finally have found rucks we can develop and would be foolish to hand our finished product to another club to reap the benefit, unless its part of a very profitable trade for us.

I don't like playing the two rucks together, as forwards they are incapable. Grundy has way more upside so I'd go with him, possibly the talk of trading Witts is not that far off the mark

Um... what.

The debate has both short term and long term implications, it was started due to recent performances but that doesn't mean the question goes away after a few weeks :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You have a habit of starting negative threads or making negative comments after losses.

Playing them together is a neccessary evil to fast track them so they become an effective combination sooner rather than later. Short term sure, theres a risk we will struggle at times. As I said, with Cloke injured (along with Reid) its a pointless comment to make for the next week or two. Moore is hardly ready to step up and be a substitute, so unless you want to run a midget forward line Grundy and Witts will continue for a while yet. The Frost/Brown combination doesnt help either because we dont have a plan B to swing backs forward.

How did they get their goals?

Grundy snuck out the backdoor and got a cheapie, Witts got a cheap free in the goal square when Fasolo took a strong mark in front of him...

Neither are actually doing what a tall should and TAKE CONTESTED MARKS!!!
Cheap free? Getting bear hugged isnt a cheap free.

Contested marking takes time, keep playing them, it will come.Its not like we are going to shake the finals, we have other issues to worry about, and they are AFL standard.

Cheap free? Getting bear hugged isnt a cheap free.

Contested marking takes time, keep playing them, it will come.Its not like we are going to shake the finals, we have other issues to worry about, and they are AFL standard.

I can easily see Witts becoming the next Robbie Walnock/Cameron Wood. Decent tap ruckmen but a liability around the ground and not strong enough to take any contested marks around the ground or up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back