Opinion Do you believe footballers work hard?

Remove this Banner Ad

its literally half/half I would say.
Either really chilled or really demanding, but thats only from my and my friends here experiences. Might be a Göteborg thing because most of the cool ones come from skåne or smaller towns.
Göteborg is a small town tho...:oops:

Thread reminds me of Watts press conference. Like clockwork "Bad 24 hours, bad look, learn and grow etc.

Watts should just come out and say:

"Yes I partied at hamburg and snorted coke of a German backpacker. You're just all jealous."

"Do you believe footballers work hard?" and "Are AFL players paid appropriately?" are different questions.

Watch a SANFL or WAFL game and you'll see there's a noticeable difference in quality between the elite and the level below them. We would be watching worse games if all the AFL players vanished.

AFL players who can't keep up are on their last contract pretty quickly. The 10-year/200--game career; only a minority get that.

There's a naive belief that if AFL players had their pay cut that money would magically go to amatuer and suburban clubs.

They all have it very very good and need to stop high horsing about everything, but its a market and they earn what they earn based on revenue, public interest, and negotiating.

Do they work hard? Yes.
Do they earn it based on the big picture? Yes.
Should they be more honest and aware about the position they are in compared to those who pay their way? Yes.

To play AFL is a gift and a privilege, not a chore, an obligation. An opportunity of a lifetime.

Sent from mTalk

I daresay Tom Lonergan earned his. All those mid twenty dudes that get headaches like teenagers get pimples and cant stand up straight anymore without getting dizzy? Fair trade for a bit of easy tuppy at the Cas though amirite?

I daresay Tom Lonergan earned his. All those mid twenty dudes that get headaches like teenagers get pimples and cant stand up straight anymore without getting dizzy? Fair trade for a bit of easy tuppy at the Cas though amirite?

Yeah. What about those mid 20s dudes that have had accidents doing their hobbies for $0 and are now in a wheelchair or something?

Sent from mTalk

Well if electricians actually charge $200 to move a single lightswitch 5cm then footballers work incredibly hard.

If the government made washing your own car illegal. You'd probably have to pay someone $200 for that too. It's called taking advantage of the situation and exploiting others.

True that. & try get a quote for getting a couple of trees trimmed in your backyard & then tell me you're not in the wrong job.

The gauging all spiraled out of control a long time ago, starting with highly trained professionals & then trickled down & down & down & here we are, having to work a full week to pay some campaigner to work a couple hours to make a tree in my backyard look half decent. & didnt a royal commish just wrap up that revealed the very people entrusted to look after our money have all along actually been the biggest scam artists of the lot? Yes, I think I read that somewhere so what hope do we have?

I get bagging football players & sports people in general but in the grand scheme of things, yeah more power too them, we'd all give a left nut to be in the same position & then probably never look back once.

There's much broader problems we face than some random 21yold becoming a millionaire, again & again, year after year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of rhetoric re: Kane Cornes and Ollie Wines' family + Patrick Dangerfield.

If they want to sink piss, take caps, and burn little people... go back to owning hotels and working in the Myer sports basement.
You & Cornes are bitching about a player going water skiing in his spare time, not about players sinking piss taking caps and burning little people. Don't be so disingenuous

I think pro athletes are generally overvalued by society however AFL footballers would have to be the most dumb and unaware group pro athletes in the world. Mostly private school educated, coasted through school, never had to work, barely have any contact with people from other backgrounds, get picked up at a young age and as long as they keep healthy and don't completely suck they'll get a good decade or so of wages way above what 99% of their peers are making.

If you look at pro soccer players in Europe and such as examples, it is much different. Much more diversity, some players come from absolute poverty. Even the ones that you would consider privileged have had to compete since they were 12 years old with equally talented and dedicated young athletes, all fighting for limited spots in youth teams at top clubs. You don't hear these guys bitching about tough they have it.

The only athletes in this country who have it easier are A-league players who earn 6 figure salaries to play 27 games of soccer, and have no expectation on them because nobody rocks up to the games anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back