Opinion Do you believe footballers work hard?

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt AFL players are overpaid compared with their value to society (but so are people in a lot of other professions) but being an AFL player wouldn't be easy. The pressure and expectation that comes with such a public job is not something that everyone could handle. When most people screw up at work, only 2-3 people will ever know about it. An AFL player has an off day and they get mocked by thousands.

Of course AFL players have access to a ton of benefits that most people will never have. But I can't really take 9-5 white collar workers, who tap away on Excel spreadsheets in an air-conditioned office doing maybe 2 hours of actual work per day, seriously when they say that they have it tough while AFL players have it easy.
Of course they cop more s**t. But they're also paid very well to cop s**t. The worst s**t they cop is from social media and it's very easy for them to shut that out. Why does everyone always jump to extreme examples too? There are plenty of players that can go through their careers rather anonymously. In person at places like bars, club and festivals they do get nuffies who annoy them. Particularly more well known players. But they also have good looking girls very keen on them. I think if you asked a lot of blokes if they'd cop dealing with some annoying footy fans and be able to sleep with very good looking girls with ease they'd happily say yes.

What about those who spend their entire week out in the elements as a tradesmen? Do they have it tough?

Regular people have it tough because there are genuine issues in society with getting jobs, holding onto jobs, buying a house and so on. A decent AFL player doesn't have to worry about those sorts of things like everyday Joe does.

What about those who spend their entire week out in the elements as a tradesmen? Do they have it tough?
Yeah, but they chose that life. If you don't want to do a physically demanding job that you hate then re-skill and find a new one.

Regular people have it tough because there are genuine issues in society with getting jobs, holding onto jobs, buying a house and so on. A decent AFL player doesn't have to worry about those sorts of things like everyday Joe does.
A "decent" AFL player also has job security of roughly 5-6 years, at which point they get delisted/retire and have to start over again in a new career.

I'm not saying the job of being an AFL player is extremely difficult, and the benefits offset most of the negatives. But it ain't a walk in the park either. It's a high pressure job that a lot of people wouldn't be equipped to deal with.

I reckon they do work hard and are under a lot of pressure. But I actually agree they shouldn't be wakeboarding/skiing doing flips and s**t.

Skiing in particular it seems many people do shoulders.

Accidents happen but any kind of strenuous sporting activity should be limited as terms of your contract.

Yeah, but they chose that life. If you don't want to do a physically demanding job that you hate then re-skill and find a new one.
Some people aren't smart enough or aren't suited to other things. Some tradies end up making decent coin so I understand why they do it, but if AFL players want to whinge about how tough they have it then tradies have a right to as well.

A "decent" AFL player also has job security of roughly 5-6 years, at which point they get delisted/retire and have to start over again in a new career.

I'm not saying the job of being an AFL player is extremely difficult, and the benefits offset most of the negatives. But it ain't a walk in the park either. It's a high pressure job that a lot of people wouldn't be equipped to deal with.
If they were a decent player they've probably also been earning 300k plus a year. That's at least 1.8 million a 6 year period. How many people would ever see that sort of yearly salary? If they're not a complete ******* with their money and listen to the advice they get from the AFL and their agents they won't have to worry much about money.

Yes they are done playing footy and have to find a new gig. But as has been mentioned already the AFL has things in place to ensure they're ready for life after footy. You wouldn't find too many players these days that aren't prepared in some way. If you can string together a few sentences you can land a media gig fairly easily. Coaching is the same. They've also got a giant network to connect with who I'm sure could help them to work in whatever field they want to work in.

If they were a decent player they've probably also been earning 300k plus a year. That's at least 1.8 million a 6 year period. How many people would ever see that sort of yearly salary? If they're not a complete ******* with their money and listen to the advice they get from the AFL and their agents they won't have to worry much about money.
Money ain't everything. There are lot of people who would be happier earning less money in a job that has far less public pressure and expectation. I agree that AFL players and sportspeople in general are way overpaid.

Money ain't everything. There are lot of people who would be happier earning less money in a job that has far less public pressure and expectation. I agree that AFL players and sportspeople in general are way overpaid.
Not saying it is everything. I'm just taking issue with how some of these modern players seem to lack self-awareness. They're getting paid to play a game the majority of them love. Most Aussie blokes would kill to be in their position.

The point about them having a decent sum of money even if they only hang around 5-6 years was to show that they have freedom. Their career might be over yeah, but they're now cashed up in their mid 20s, with connections to help them find a job doing what they want. Or if they want they can go travelling. The average Aussie bloke meanwhile is slaving away at some boring as s**t job and dreaming about the occasional holiday he can take.

They definitely work hard, but I think it's entirely reasonable they have expectations on them from the media and fans alike. I can't stand Cornes as much as the next person, but he wasn't wrong with his statements about the AFLPA influence and several players don't do what's required to actually win.

I believe players like Dangerfield would like to win a premiership, but would he give up his surfing and media jobs for it to win one before he retires? Don't reckon he would. Wines the same.

That said some players very obviously do want to win premierships and want to be the best they can possibly be during their career. The players pay is justified imo, but i really don't think expecting them not to do stupid s**t during the season, and preseason is unreasonable. Paid that wage to be fit and healthy and do everything they can to win. If you can't handle the environment nobody is forcing them to play as a career.

A lot of rhetoric re: Kane Cornes and Ollie Wines' family + Patrick Dangerfield. The general argument is players should be allowed to change clubs, have leisure time, and make a good percentage of AFL money as they are the product essentially v players get 75k minimum (rookies), connections, fitness, two months minimum time off, and guys on a near a mil a year should behave a little for that money.

As far as I give a s**t, AFL footballers live the life.

They make far more much money than the average person. Doctors, Prime Ministers are all overlapped by quite a few players.

That aside, my issue is the huge entitlement and ignorance shown by guys like Patrick Dangerfield but also the average shitkicker (Liam McBean was chiming in with the Cornes tweets – didn't this dude play three games? Isn't his old man a lawn mowing working class bloke?) is incredibly defensive about their lot. Regular phrases include 'you don't know the work we put in,' 'the sacrifices we make,' 'what goes on behind the scenes.' Players genuinely consider themselves deserving of these amounts of money but, more so, think they're immune to criticism.

The average 22-year old man in Australia is struggling. The workforce is becoming casualised and part-time work is fast becoming the norm. The idea of sick pay, leave, and entitlements is a huge privilege. A depressing, mind numbing, 'oh man I'm like the people they talk about in Fight Club!' desk job is now so desirable you'd cut your dick off for that 51k a year and all its paper cuts. Universities are crowded. Apprenticeships are drying up and work places are incentivising bringing apprentices on. Football isn't really that amazing of a gift – you're just good at one of the sports people care about... hockey is lame, water polo is a hobby, yet you can be in the best few in Australia at that and have to work at a pet shop. It doesn't take study to make it. Most people on this forum will have known blokes who drank Cruisers at every high school party and got drafted at pick 21 and played 150 games, so do not tell me about 'sacrifices.'

Why do we defend these blokes? They aren't on the front line. They aren't getting abused at Maccas at 4am because they didn't put enough chips in an order. They aren't scraping turds off a bowl on contract hours. They are not cleaning schools and being asked for three-years experience to get 19 hours a fortnight for 17 bucks an hour. They aren't cleaning spew off pub toilet grates after being pumped to be offered that extra shift. They are not desperate to feed their kids.

But that is what's scariest... the average punter takes this? I see footy fans everywhere defending these players, saying they try hard and running hurts and sometimes they can't make weddings. I see people genuinely take pity for blokes who get paid to be in the fittest portion of society, who have girls lining up, who get free cars and shoes and Nike jackets, as well as free uni education and free apprenticeship support after football (and that's without the 'hey mate, thanks for the 100 games, you were a decent dude, wanna be an AFLW support manager?' gigs). This is a beautiful, beautiful opportunity.

People go 'oh but his dad died' or 'he's an addict.' If your dad dies and you're a bloke on an assembly line, if you don't have a few days in the bank, you're going to work. If your kid is in hospital dying, you can't take nine months off to look after them. And if you have ass cancer, you generally won't even have more than 15 people giving a **** let alone Basil Zempilas rallying up the donations for your kids who already go to St Kevins.

Why on ****in earth do we actually think these footballers are hard done by or deserve their money?

If they want the 300k, do a lot for it.

If they want to sink piss, take caps, and burn little people... go back to owning hotels and working in the Myer sports basement.
Possibly the most magnificent post I’ve seen in all my years on Big Footy.

No. It’s even the rookie listed guys.

Channel 7 tell us these mature aged draftees are such hard workers, they went to footy training after getting up at 6 as chippies! Wow! There are chippies all over the country who don’t even get the $600 a week to play footy after training... there are people who go to training after long days and pay for rego and pay for their own boots and sheepishly ask their bosses if they can be a jumper sponsor. We are constantly told how heroic it is to be on a list but the reality is, any man under 30 being on 70k isn’t a sob story. And a year of being fit, getting girls, and an that sense of achievement and pride is not something we should see as amazing.

This whole thing about determination is complete horseshit.

It also takes determination not to smack your boss in the head because, otherwise, you won’t have a house.

It also takes determination to scrape bodies off train tracks and know that 11pm call out at McIver could very well be that.

Training at your footy club then getting drafted isn’t really determination.
Legendary cricketer and ex RAAF pilot Keith Miller “Don’t talk to me about pressure! Pressure is a Messerschmidt up your arse, that’s pressure.”

Why don't they retire then?

Of course they cop more s**t. But they're also paid very well to cop s**t. The worst s**t they cop is from social media and it's very easy for them to shut that out. Why does everyone always jump to extreme examples too? There are plenty of players that can go through their careers rather anonymously. In person at places like bars, club and festivals they do get nuffies who annoy them. Particularly more well known players. But they also have good looking girls very keen on them. I think if you asked a lot of blokes if they'd cop dealing with some annoying footy fans and be able to sleep with very good looking girls with ease they'd happily say yes.

My issue is we all cop s**t.

If you're an apprentice tradie, the money isn't great but you're learning a skill, but probably having some a-hole boss isn't fun. If you own your own business, then unhappy customers going off their nut at you isn't much different to @genericfootballer u r s**t damn off. If you work in a kitchen, your chef is going to be screaming at you while you sweat over a flame at 11pm with three hours left of your shift. Everyone has levels of expectation and has to suck up some sort of punishment, abuse, or just trudge through a job they hate.

But AFL footballers have that cushy flipside that other people don't. More money aside, they get free cars on loan and t-shirts and tickets to the Australian Open whereas most people are lucky to have an open bar for their Chrissy do. They can be ugly, unsophisticated, boring twats and still pull a multitude of good looking girls.

They definitely work hard, but I think it's entirely reasonable they have expectations on them from the media and fans alike. I can't stand Cornes as much as the next person, but he wasn't wrong with his statements about the AFLPA influence and several players don't do what's required to actually win.

I believe players like Dangerfield would like to win a premiership, but would he give up his surfing and media jobs for it to win one before he retires? Don't reckon he would. Wines the same.

That said some players very obviously do want to win premierships and want to be the best they can possibly be during their career. The players pay is justified imo, but i really don't think expecting them not to do stupid s**t during the season, and preseason is unreasonable. Paid that wage to be fit and healthy and do everything they can to win. If you can't handle the environment nobody is forcing them to play as a career.
It’s not as simple as that. Go through every single premiership side and they’ll have players who don’t give up certain things and still win them.
They are humans and you need to be in a good mental state to get the best out of yourself, giving up a media gig or something they enjoy for an extra training session could have more negative than positive impacts if the players are unhappy.
I agree they shouldn’t be doing high risk activities while on a playing list but outside of that their work/life balance is fair. More importantly it’s probably balanced to get the best mental health and performance results.

Why don't they retire then?
A lot do.

But AFL footballers have that cushy flipside that other people don't. More money aside, they get free cars on loan and t-shirts and tickets to the Australian Open whereas most people are lucky to have an open bar for their Chrissy do. They can be ugly, unsophisticated, boring twats and still pull a multitude of good looking girls.
It really just sounds like you're jealous that bogan AFL players get to earn more money and sleep with hotter chicks than you.

We all know AFL players are overpaid, and get access to opportunities most don't, and get girls way out of their league. It doesn't mean they don't work hard or that their job isn't difficult.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot do.

It really just sounds like you're jealous that bogan AFL players get to earn more money and sleep with hotter chicks than you.

We all know AFL players are overpaid, and get access to opportunities most don't, and get girls way out of their league. It doesn't mean they don't work hard or that their job isn't difficult.
Uhh of course I'm jealous. The only part I'd hate about that lifestyle is putting up with the sort of w***ers who actually make it onto lists. My whole argument is it's a healthy, well paid job where you have a sense of purpose and discipline in reaching a specific goal. Even if it isn't as noble as being a doctor, you still have more purpose than you do cleaning glasses.

Not many really retire though in their prime, do they?

Mostly it's injuries, delistings where they want to uphold some pride, or thinly veiled axings (for drugs, thieving, mouthing off to the wrong person, doing something wrong with your dong). How many guys really retire because they lose passion? Last year there were 702 players in the AFL with an average age of like 24. There's been, like, what, four dudes who conked out that weren't injured/old? And most of those guys (Tom Bugg, Curtley Hampton, that ruckman from GWS) were not stars and realistically only had a season or two left.

It's not like it's a genuine epidemic. It's a tiny tiny portion of the AFL. Which to me would point out that these dudes know their job is good and the money ain't gonna be better elsewhere.

The only direct example I can think of is Tom Swift. Most other guys who go into fields like medicine generally wait out their careers or don't bother going to a second club when they're delisted. But he gave up footy to become a doctor because he'd get more value out of it and as much money from it. And he's fitting because he gave up AFL footy because he was sick of Eagles supporters booing him every time he got the ball and copping s**t when he'd walk through Subiaco. I cannot think of any other person who has done that.

I think ppl here are totally ignorant of the sacrifices and hours put in by AFL footballers these days.
Whats the saying You can’t understand someone until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes

Footballers have physical requirements put on them and they train and have meetings much more now than ever did before.
Sure you will get the odd guy who is talented and can't be stuffed doing the hard yards but they get the ass pretty soon.

Footballer also have to deal with injuries sustained during their career long after they have retired. Yes they are paid well but its by product of what they are selling.

The only part I'd hate about that lifestyle is putting up with the sort of w***ers who actually make it onto lists.
Really? You wouldn't mind having your entire diet regimented? Being told what you can eat and drink and when? Risking painful injury just to do your job? Knowing that if you fail, hundreds of thousands will see it?

Not many really retire though in their prime, do they?

Mostly it's injuries, delistings where they want to uphold some pride, or thinly veiled axings (for drugs, thieving, mouthing off to the wrong person, doing something wrong with your dong). How many guys really retire because they lose passion? Last year there were 702 players in the AFL with an average age of like 24. There's been, like, what, four dudes who conked out that weren't injured/old? And most of those guys (Tom Bugg, Curtley Hampton, that ruckman from GWS) were not stars and realistically only had a season or two left.

It's not like it's a genuine epidemic. It's a tiny tiny portion of the AFL. Which to me would point out that these dudes know their job is good and the money ain't gonna be better elsewhere.
Well yeah of course most players don't voluntarily retire. Playing in the AFL is their dream. It does happen though, probably more often than we think. Plenty of young delisted players never put their hand up for an AFL shot again and are content to play local footy with their mates.

You have to remember that most players will never be stars. They'll have a 5 or so year career and then get the boot. Sure, guys like Scott Pendlebury get to live amazing lives, earning millions of dollars to do what they love. But your average run-of-the-mill player doesn't have it so easy. Yeah ok, Jack Lonie earns more money than most people his age, and being a C-grade player for St.Kilda might help get him laid a few times. But he'll still be under enormous pressure to perform and will have to put in a ton of hard work to actually earn a sustainable AFL career.

Again, we all know AFL players get amazing benefits. But it's not easy to be an AFL player. You need to put in an enormous amount of work to even get to the AFL, and even more hard work is required to stay there.

Nobody is criticising them for not working. It's the whinging from modern players which they are criticising.

The majority of these players are playing a game they've played their whole lives and enjoy playing. If they didn't make the AFL they'd be playing local footy, training multiple times a week and devoting a whole day on the weekend to playing and then being involved with the club afterwards. I don't really get how you can call that a job.

Do some work their arses off to hang around when they might not be as talented? Sure. It's still not a job. Can guarantee you they're not working 40-45 hours a week on their skills or fitness.

Those who don't make it are not left to dry by clubs either. They've essentially spent a number of years being paid far more than their similar aged mates and the AFL from what I remember gets them to prepare for life post footy. They can leave the game with a nice amount of money, youth and if I'm right about the AFL initiative they've probably got some sort of trade, study etc they can go on with. They've also got a whole network of players past and present that can help them find their feet. Local clubs paying them good coin line up too.

Did anybody say they did nothing to earn their money? Where did you pull this from? The arguments have been that they get paid handsomely for what they do. I have no issue with star players earning large amounts of money. They draw in crowds and TV viewers and have star power which helps to sell the brand. That's fine. Nobody is arguing that. Just stop whinging and going on about how tough things are or how much you've sacrificed whenever someone dares to criticise a footy player. When they start saying that s**t they're totally out of touch with the real world and the struggles many face in modern society to stay afloat.

They are well paid to kick around a footy on the weekend and train a few times a week with similar types of blokes who they are likely to get on with. They are living the dream. Would I love to be in their position? Absolutely.

I don't think it's jealously to get sick of hearing some footballers crap on about hard work, fame, sacrifices etc.

A lot of people always love to bring up the celebrity part and act like it's the most terrible thing in the world. I'm sure for some footballers they just want to be able to walk around the streets without being hassled and being known is a genuine problem for them. But then consider all the benefits that brings them. Car deals, free clothing for promoting on social media, VIP access to festivals/clubs etc. Women literally throw themselves at AFL players. Even if they've barely played a game they still do well. Girls they've known for years are keen to sleep with them. I've got a mate who plays and him hooking up with girls was as simple as sending them a message over Instagram.

These are a ridiculous few lines. We're not playing AFL because of poor life decisions? Seriously? That's the biggest crock of s**t ever. That argument would apply to a small few.

Please also tell me about all the sacrifices these guys have made. I'll wait.
Getting up early every day to train. Training hard in the evening/recovery sessions. Missing out on heaps of social events with friends. Adhering to strict diets and training regimens. Getting injured and going through rehab. Moving to opposite ends of the country with no choice as to destination (not much of a problem with this one personally though). Constantly being hassled for autographs and pictures when going to shops/out for the night.

Sure there’s girls and fame. What of it? I’m sure it sounds great to those who’ve never experienced it but you’d get pretty sick of being under constant scrutiny for every action you do on and off the field I’m sure. Little wonder there’s a lot of focus on mental health in the AFL these days.

Think you’re completely out of touch. Sure they love what they do, it’s still their job though and I have no idea why you would suggest otherwise. They’re getting paid and they deserve to get paid proportionally to what their their industry makes. Just because you don’t define it as a job, doesn’t mean that’s true. Also, why the hell would they spend 40-45 hours a week on skills and fitness? Do you even understand what happens at AFL level with all the team meetings, recovery, sponsor commitments, etc? Really seems like you have no clue and just want to cut tall poppies down.

Politicians can’t go punching on at 3am or being instagrammed with cat eyes can they? The demographic is different (35-65 year old white guys v 18-35 year old athletic guys) but ultimately they’re both privileged, entitled, and kinda out of touch. At least politicians get s**t for their mistakes and lose their job for it.

Footballers want to be the Doc Wheildon lads of the 2010s but then cry foul for being photographed doing it... you can’t have the money without the issue that come with it.

Footballers don’t wanna give up piss, the ability to send thirst trap ‘u up?’ texts, or living away from home but they want all the money. Most normal people give something up for 50k.

But if they perform it will be overlooked. Look at Buddy Franklin.

Look I won't say they shouldn't be paid that much as the game generates billions so it's only fair they receive their cut as they are the ones performing.

But the OP is spot on. I don't think they're hard done by. Every job has pressure and expectations, maybe AFL has more and cases of disappointment but f me they are well paid for any inconveniences.

The highest paid players in the game are in fact underpaid the most. Imaging the money that buddy has brought into the swans by the way of increased crowds, memberships and corporate exposure etc...off field alone you could argue he is responsible for well over the 1.2 million a year they are paying him

To answer the OP questions:

Do AFL players work hard?

Yes. Extremely. But if you average it out to different full time jobs and how much work is required I'd say they don't work disproportionately harder than most other well paid full time work.

And they get paid proportionaly higher for the work they put in (all be it at the top of their field) than most other high end jobs.

If you are going to be paid up to $1mill you will have to work hard. If anything some on the higher salaries are probably an extent. (Not that I'd argue for a pay cut as that is simply supply and demand and the revenue the game generates at work).

The highest paid players in the game are in fact underpaid the most. Imaging the money that buddy has brought into the swans by the way of increased crowds, memberships and corporate exposure etc...off field alone you could argue he is responsible for well over the 1.2 million a year they are paying him

Possibly. But most people have to add more value than what they are paid otherwise no one would be employed.

Given the sheer volume of what he gets (add sponsorships off field options etc) I'd say he doesn't work that hard at all.

Getting up early every day to train. Training hard in the evening/recovery sessions. Missing out on heaps of social events with friends. Adhering to strict diets and training regimens. Getting injured and going through rehab. Moving to opposite ends of the country with no choice as to destination (not much of a problem with this one personally though). Constantly being hassled for autographs and pictures when going to shops/out for the night.

Sure there’s girls and fame. What of it? I’m sure it sounds great to those who’ve never experienced it but you’d get pretty sick of being under constant scrutiny for every action you do on and off the field I’m sure. Little wonder there’s a lot of focus on mental health in the AFL these days.

Think you’re completely out of touch. Sure they love what they do, it’s still their job though and I have no idea why you would suggest otherwise. They’re getting paid and they deserve to get paid proportionally to what their their industry makes. Just because you don’t define it as a job, doesn’t mean that’s true. Also, why the hell would they spend 40-45 hours a week on skills and fitness? Do you even understand what happens at AFL level with all the team meetings, recovery, sponsor commitments, etc? Really seems like you have no clue and just want to cut tall poppies down.

You need to shrink that pedestal you've got them on WAY down.

They work hard, and it's a reasonably high stress environment. They're compensated very well for that time, even the AFL guys, let alone at NFL / EPL / NBA levels.

They would eat about the same as most any reasonably healthy individual, which means they'd still knock back some beers, or ice cream, or cheese and wine. They wouldn't work under any more stress and pressure than most nurses, surgeons or paramedics, and would suffer long term physical issues in many similar ways to a number of tradies.

It's an unusual occupation, but they're not martyrs, and they're very well taken care of by clubs both physically and financially.

I
You're trying to say complete fitness – all varieties of running, weight work, even mental health and fitness – is something we should pity them for? Or a con of the job?

And diet? They have multiple people telling them what diet is best for their body shape and literally telling them how to eat as best as possible for them. The average person has nfi and never will. That's without mentioning how many clubs provide a lunch for every player and generally give them a doggy bag of something else to take home for dinner. And that costs nothing. How is eating very well, for free, and cooked by someone else somehow a con?

If AFL players were on 55k and did all they do then yes, that's when you start questioning it. But their pay packet is huge. Even at the very low rate, if you don't like it, don't enter the draft or retire when you find it how tough it apparently is.

It's not like these guys are having human experiments done on them, doing clinical trials, or actually genuinely harming their bodies. Yeah lifting s**t sucks and running hurts but it's actually hugely beneficial for you. These guys get to peacock around instagram and homoerotically big up their 'rigs' too... I don't think they're decrying it any more than the average person. They aren't putting their bodies on the line... they're getting paid to enhance it and help it to its absolute maximum. There are people who do this s**t for free every day, as in the same amount of high-end physical exercise, after working a job, and consider a free parcel of Skins from the WAIS to be a good payday.

A footballer going to day dot of pre-season to run around in 38 degree weather isn't going to bemoan it much more than someone getting up at 3am to go work in a construction site on Monday morning.
I’m pretty sure they pay for all food

I a
I’m pretty sure they pay for all food
The situations change but it's pretty good.

I know for a fact that at North, all the boys and staff (so coaches, runners, admin people too) chuck in money at the beginning of the month and they have a big spread. Obviously it has to be diverse because some guys are needing to eat a heap of carbs – so pastas, big full sandwiches – and other guys are just on the salads and tuna, chicken. Point is the food is plentiful and done by caterers. Ends up being about 10 bucks a month apparently.

Got a mate who is friends with a dude who spent a year as a rookie at Collingwood. They all grabbed a free coffee and gas bagged at the café at the training ground. Then lunch was provided for free; huge spread. Then at the end of every day, they'd walk out with a doggie bag that was a full meal and smoothie or whatever. Like, kid's birthday style – walk out the door and grab your lolly bag (inb4 drugs). It was just easier to have these dudes almost force fed their diet.

Pretty sure Freo's players all used to chip in Kangas-style but it's provided now. I do know the w***er Concept or whatever it's called on Wray Avenue would have a container of coffees that guys like Lachie Neale would come and grab. All free and sitting there at the same time every morning. Obviously not club provided but it gives you an insight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back